Linux Support / Working Wine Emulation of GM

Started by Chupon, Mar 26, 2009, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chupon

Hi, ive known a lot of you mud guys since back in mod 1, when i was using synterm on a win 3.11 dialup platform.  Ive recently made the switch to linux and am loving it :)
However, a few things came to mind. I would like to purchase a copy of greatermud server software when it is available, however i would like to know if it will function in linux.
Linux has .net support and also uses sql, mysql, php etc. I can also run megamud with near full functionality through the Wine launcher. I supposed its a lot to as for a
cross compilation with linux binaries but if there was a way i could run greatermud on my linuxmint(ubuntu based) box i would surely be a happy customer.

I guess i could wait for a demo version to test how it would run in wine.
Certain programs that are far more demanding like WOW run perfectly in linux now
and can even be launched from an existing ntfs partition. However i havent been able to get mmexplorer to work yet.

Thanks for your time and good luck with the completion of gmud.

DeathCow

We have not made GreaterMUD to work cross platform.  Will Wine work?  We do not know.  We will certainly will test it for ourselves and let you/everyone know.

My guess is that the old school nature for gmud will cause issues..but its not like we have a antilinux pov.

Chupon

Yeah i agree, ive been win for a long time and have an old athlon 64 that i still have xp on if i need to run it on there anyhow.
If the pricetag is still gonna be estimated at 50 bucks im going to purchase it anyhow, thats a good deal and i dont normally "buy" software. ;|
Wine is pretty advanced nowadays i just dont know a way to get mmexplorer to run on it unfortunately.

Gardner Denver

Quoted from ForumsHQ.  I don't run any of the *ux or wine so no idea how accurate this is, but here ya go:

So like some others in this forum, I use linux for my desktop machine.  This has made it... interesting to play MajorMUD in the past. 

I consider a "functional" MajorMUD playing workstation one which can run multiple instances of MegaMUD and one instance of MME for dat lookups.  Since MME hasn't worked on linux, I've had to run remote desktop instances (or vnc) to a windows box with MME on it.  This is less than ideal, of course.

MegaMUD has worked in WINE for a long time, and currently works out-of-the-box for wine-1.0 (latest package on Ubuntu Hardy).  It works better than on Windows XP even, amazing job with the port there.

MME I never had any luck loading, always some dependencies missing.  There were always some messages regarding missing MDAC libraries.

Recently I found winetricks (mirror), which has a convenient interface for installing Windows libraries.  Download this script, make it executable and run it. 
Click on mdac28 (you might have to stretch the window to see it), and it will download and install the lib. 
Click on jet40 to install that lib as well.

Then wha-la it works!

Thanks to Syntax for the help!