General game abilities and possible improvements:

Started by The Crazy Animal, Jan 19, 2006, 03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

We all know the current mmud racial/class abilities so I should have to name them. I know some people in other forums always had one or two abilities they would like to see improved on I know I do, I?ll start off:

Mana Bonus ? With elves, I was always disappointed that their Mana bonus didn?t help more across the level ranges of the game. I was thinking maybe this could be changed in greater mud to better reflect the races class interplay and address the characters level at the same time. Perhaps they could get (10+(.5 mana per (magic rating)) multiplied by their level). So that a the bonus would work out like this:

Magic 1: (10+(.5*(LVL))) = Bonus
LVL 10 = 15, LVL 20 = 20, LVL 30 = 25, LVL 40 = 30
Magic 2: (10+(1*(LVL))) = Bonus
LVL 10 = 20, LVL 20 = 30, LVL 30 = 40, LVL 40 = 50
Magic 3: (10+(1.5*(LVL))) = Bonus
LVL 10 = 25, LVL 20 = 40, LVL 30 = 55, LVL 40 = 70

I?m not sure exactly how this could work with Half-Elves but I guess what you could do was add a variable to the ability level that functions as a divisor on the total gained amount. So an ability level 1 would be for elves and level 2 would be for Half-Elves.

Tracking ? I always felt that if tracking was in the game player should also have a way of covering their tracks. Perhaps there should be an ability to increase the difficulty of tracking.

See Traps ? I always thought that like the see hidden quest that characters with high traps can go on a quest that when completed would let them see traps without having to search for them.

Hide modifier ? I always thought that some races should have an easer time hiding do to their size. Take for example Halflings at 3 feet tall and half-ogres at 6 or greater. I know some of this works out based on the stats but how absolute and dramatic is it. 

Sneak modifier ? My thinking behind this is both for class and races, for races I think some races should just be better at sneaking than others. For classes some classes just rely on their stealth more than others, look at Thieves and Ninjas for example. While there currently is ways to boost stealth in the game, it is a static bonus and doesn?t effect rate of gain.

Disease ? currently the MMUD does not differentiate between normal tick down damage spells and a spell that is a Disease effect. I think it would be a boon to have this in the game so you know longer have to change the cure disease type spells each time you ad a new disease in the game.

Resist blind ? I thought this might be a good way to depict a races sharp eyesight. In the case of the race Gaunt they were entirely perception/sight oriented a simple blind spell rendered all of their bonuses gone I think this could be more balanced by allowing them a magical resistance to blinding effects.

AC and DR Bonuses: It used to be that some of the ac and dr bonus of the game were a little more dynamic and to tell you the truth I think dynamic tends to be a fairer way of doing bonuses most of the time. I think there should be a few dynamic ways of giving these bonuses to different races. 

Toughness ? I think a good way of describing a Half-Ogre?s toughness would be influenced by his health and strength and from a human perspective any stat over 100 would be supernatural. So, for a Half-Ogre or other creature possessing an innate supernatural toughness I would suggest giving DR dynamically for the amount of strength and health they have above 100.

Natural Armour ? I think that to accurately describe a Kang you would say they have skin that is reptile like that is scaly and plated. While they do not posses the supernatural toughness that a Half-Ogre has what they do have is similar to say a crocodile?s armour that develops and changes over its life. I think in order to improve on the current system natural armour should change based on a characters level + a nominal starting point.
This is what I?m thinking as a general system:
AC: (2 + (.2*LVL)) = AC bonus
DR: (1+ (.05*LVL)) = DR bonus
Calculated level examples:
LVL 1 = +2.2/+1.1, LVL 30 = +8/+2.5, LVL 60 = +14/+4, LVL 90 = +20/+5.5
If you want to limit it then I would probably just give a level max for the bonus similar to the growth rate of spell damage.

TCA

DeathCow

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jan 19, 2006, 03:54 AM
We all know the current mmud racial/class abilities so I should have to name them. I know some people in other forums always had one or two abilities they would like to see improved on I know I do, I?ll start off:
>.<
Mana Bonus ? With elves, I was always disappointed that their Mana bonus didn?t help more across the level ranges of the game. I was thinking maybe this could be changed in greater mud to better reflect the races class interplay and address the characters level at the same time. Perhaps they could get (10+(.5 mana per (magic rating)) multiplied by their level). So that a the bonus would work out like this:

Magic 1: (10+(.5*(LVL))) = Bonus
LVL 10 = 15, LVL 20 = 20, LVL 30 = 25, LVL 40 = 30
Magic 2: (10+(1*(LVL))) = Bonus
LVL 10 = 20, LVL 20 = 30, LVL 30 = 40, LVL 40 = 50
Magic 3: (10+(1.5*(LVL))) = Bonus
LVL 10 = 25, LVL 20 = 40, LVL 30 = 55, LVL 40 = 70
[
I?m not sure exactly how this could work with Half-Elves but I guess what you could do was add a variable to the ability level that functions as a divisor on the total gained amount. So an ability level 1 would be for elves and level 2 would be for Half-Elves.
EH!  There should just be a simple +MANA% ability.  Which I have this funny feeling will be added to the game.  I dunno why I feel that way :p
Tracking ? I always felt that if tracking was in the game player should also have a way of covering their tracks. Perhaps there should be an ability to increase the difficulty of tracking.
Tracking is an elite pvp skill, it needs to stay that way.  On the rare occasion it comes up it needs to be useful.  Should I manage to dratically change pvp, I might reconsider that.  But for now tracking needs to be tracking.  You can cover your tracks by moving over 20 rooms.
See Traps ? I always thought that like the see hidden quest that characters with high traps can go on a quest that when completed would let them see traps without having to search for them.
I think traps needs to be entirely redone.  The system can be expanded way beyond just a exit syste, and a few stat checking textblocks.
Hide modifier ? I always thought that some races should have an easer time hiding do to their size. Take for example Halflings at 3 feet tall and half-ogres at 6 or greater. I know some of this works out based on the stats but how absolute and dramatic is it.
Too complicated and not useful for gaming terms.  This may add some realism, but at the same time its not fun.  There is a game called warhammer, in which players wage war between one another.  In this game you have monster models.  Some are larger than others.  There is one alien monster that is suppose to be a fearsome stalker, but its a big model.  Its shaped so it can fold up easily.  But in the game its what part of the model show rather than what could happen.  So you can shoot it cause one of its large tenticles stick out, even though clearly it would tuck itself in.

Some rules only make sense in limited circumstance.  Its best to try not to make any rules that can be downright silly in some circumstances.

Sneak modifier ? My thinking behind this is both for class and races, for races I think some races should just be better at sneaking than others. For classes some classes just rely on their stealth more than others, look at Thieves and Ninjas for example. While there currently is ways to boost stealth in the game, it is a static bonus and doesn?t effect rate of gain.
Me likes.
Disease ? currently the MMUD does not differentiate between normal tick down damage spells and a spell that is a Disease effect. I think it would be a boon to have this in the game so you know longer have to change the cure disease type spells each time you ad a new disease in the game.
Majormud doesn't handle alot of specific spell types well.  Poison for one.  What is poison...any one know?  I'm probably the only one that knows how poison works in majormud.  I'm including metro in this.
QuoteResist blind ? I thought this might be a good way to depict a races sharp eyesight. In the case of the race Gaunt they were entirely perception/sight oriented a simple blind spell rendered all of their bonuses gone I think this could be more balanced by allowing them a magical resistance to blinding effects.
Ah you mean the bizzare -999999999 illu spells that metro uses.  Those will not exist im my world.  And if they do...its not gonna be on every other monster.
AC and DR Bonuses: It used to be that some of the ac and dr bonus of the game were a little more dynamic and to tell you the truth I think dynamic tends to be a fairer way of doing bonuses most of the time. I think there should be a few dynamic ways of giving these bonuses to different races.
I have no idea what you are talking about.  WHO HOW WHEN were there dynamic ac/dr bonuses. Do you mean agility ac bonuses...as in  ACbase=(Agi/10)-5
Toughness ? I think a good way of describing a Half-Ogre?s toughness would be influenced by his health and strength and from a human perspective any stat over 100 would be supernatural. So, for a Half-Ogre or other creature possessing an innate supernatural toughness I would suggest giving DR dynamically for the amount of strength and health they have above 100.
Lets say I rework combat, and after doing that I need a way to power up half-ogres.  This doesn't seem like a bad plan should that happen.
Natural Armour ? I think that to accurately describe a Kang you would say they have skin that is reptile like that is scaly and plated. While they do not posses the supernatural toughness that a Half-Ogre has what they do have is similar to say a crocodile?s armour that develops and changes over its life. I think in order to improve on the current system natural armour should change based on a characters level + a nominal starting point.
This is what I?m thinking as a general system:
AC: (2 + (.2*LVL)) = AC bonus
DR: (1+ (.05*LVL)) = DR bonus
Calculated level examples:
LVL 1 = +2.2/+1.1, LVL 30 = +8/+2.5, LVL 60 = +14/+4, LVL 90 = +20/+5.5
If you want to limit it then I would probably just give a level max for the bonus similar to the growth rate of spell damage.

TCA

QUA!  Wait what just happened?  Did you just?  You did didn't you.  No no bad animal..bad.

Kang don't need a power enchancement atm. 

The Crazy Animal

Normally I think quoting makes things easier to read but in this case something must have went way wrong!

For the +MANA% ability. I thought that perhaps it should take into account magic level but at the same time, I see reasons not to also. All that really matter though is that it gets in there :)

For the AC DR dynamic bonus I was speaking about the one used by Halflings and Gnomes pre-dodge. My memory is a little vague on the exacts of how it works since I haven?t played an early version in quite some years. which I do think they should get back :)

Hehe, well my thoughts on the Kang is what type of bonus is 5/1 at level 70 when the average armour stats at that level are so much more. However, this system like the system for Half-Ogres really depends on how the combat rework turns out.

For the Resist blind, yes I do mean the strange ?illu spells but also the normal ones to me if a creature has magical eyes I think it would make sense to make it harder to blind them by any other means than poking them out.

The game engine defiantly needs to handle spell types better. I was thinking with things like poison, disease, and maybe a few others that they should be type followed by a variable level. The variable level would dictate how hard it is to cure and maybe influence how quick the damage tics come. This way you can have different cure levels and they would be automatically in the game engine unlike the current system. The others that I would probably add into types would be burn, freeze, acid, thirst/hunger, holy, unholy. They holy and unholy would be for damage tickers for things like effects of anit-undead spells and some such stuff.

Just some further thought for things like these would be useful too:
Min/Max BS DMG percentage modifier: relates to BS dmg gain rate
Min/Max BS ACC percentage modifier: relates to BS acc gain rate
MIN/MAX Crit DMG percentage modifier: relates to crit dmg above normal weapon dmg

Block ? I always thought there should be a combat ability that lets player block physical attacks and is totally unrelated to DR.

Valentine

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jan 19, 2006, 03:54 AM
We all know the current mmud racial/class abilities

I don't...it'd be nice if I did.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

DeathCow

Human
#: 1, Name: Human, Exp: 0%, HP: 0, Str: 40-100, Int: 40-100, Wis: 40-100, Agi: 40-100, Hea: 40-100, Cha: 40-100, Abilities: none
Dwarf
#: 2, Name: Dwarf, Exp: 30%, HP: 0, Str: 50-110, Int: 30-90, Wis: 50-120, Agi: 30-90, Hea: 50-120, Cha: 30-85, Abilities: M.R. +10, Illu +75, Encum +20
Gnome#: 3, Name: Gnome, Exp: 20%, HP: 0, Str: 35-90, Int: 45-110, Wis: 40-100, Agi: 45-110, Hea: 40-100, Cha: 35-90, Abilities: M.R. +5, Illu +65, Picklocks
Halfling#: 4, Name: Halfling, Exp: 25%, HP: -1, Str: 20-60, Int: 30-90, Wis: 40-100, Agi: 60-150, Hea: 40-100, Cha: 40-100, Abilities: RaceStealth, Dodge +10
Elf#: 5, Name: Elf, Exp: 45%, HP: 0, Str: 35-90, Int: 50-120, Wis: 40-100, Agi: 50-120, Hea: 30-80, Cha: 50-120, Abilities: Illu +50, RaceStealth, MaxMana +10

Half-Elf#: 6, Name: Half-Elf, Exp: 15%, HP: 0, Str: 40-90, Int: 45-110, Wis: 40-100, Agi: 45-110, Hea: 30-100, Cha: 50-110, Abilities: MaxMana +10, Illu +25
Dark-Elf#: 7, Name: Dark-Elf, Exp: 45%, HP: 0, Str: 40-90, Int: 50-120, Wis: 30-100, Agi: 50-120, Hea: 30-90, Cha: 40-110, Abilities: Illu +80, RaceStealth, Crits +1, Accuracy +3
Half-Orc#: 8, Name: Half-Orc, Exp: 0%, HP: 0, Str: 45-110, Int: 30-90, Wis: 30-95, Agi: 40-100, Hea: 50-120, Cha: 30-80, Abilities: none
Goblin#: 9, Name: Goblin, Exp: 35%, HP: 0, Str: 30-70, Int: 45-115, Wis: 40-100, Agi: 55-125, Hea: 40-100, Cha: 40-100, Abilities: Illu +65, RaceStealth
Half-Ogre#: 10, Name: Half-Ogre, Exp: 30%, HP: 1, Str: 70-150, Int: 20-60, Wis: 25-70, Agi: 20-60, Hea: 60-150, Cha: 25-60, Abilities: M.R. +15, DR +2
Kang#: 11, Name: Kang, Exp: 35%, HP: 0, Str: 55-120, Int: 30-90, Wis: 45-110, Agi: 30-90, Hea: 50-110, Cha: 30-85, Abilities: ImmuPoison +100, DR +1, AC +5
Nekojin#: 12, Name: Nekojin, Exp: 50%, HP: 0, Str: 40-100, Int: 40-100, Wis: 30-90, Agi: 60-130, Hea: 30-80, Cha: 50-110, Abilities: RaceStealth, Illu +50, Tracking, Rfir +10, Rcol -10
Gaunt One#: 13, Name: Gaunt One, Exp: 50%, HP: 0, Str: 40-100, Int: 60-140, Wis: 50-100, Agi: 50-110, Hea: 30-70, Cha: 30-80, Abilities: Illu +200, Percep +10

Class? HP's? Magic? Combat? Weapon? Armor Type? Exp %? Abilities? 
Warrior? 6-10? None? 4? All? Plate (9)? 100%? Bash
Witchunter? 6-10? None? 5? All? Scale (8)? 130%? Bash, MR +30, HitMag +5, NMI
Paladin? 5-9? Priest-1? 4? All? Plate (9)? 220%? Bash
Cleric? 4-8? Priest-2? 3? Blunt? Plate (9)? 210%? Bash
Priest? 3-6? Priest-3? 1? Blunt? Robe (1)? 140%? Bash
Missionary? 4-7? Priest-2? 2? 1H? Leather (6)? 220%? Bash, ST, TR, LP
Ninja? 4-8? None? 3? All? Ninja (2)? 185%? Bash, ST, DO, EC, TR, LP, TK
Thief? 4-7? None? 2? 1H? Leather (6)? 80%? Bash, ST, TH, TR, LP
Bard? 4-7? Bard? 3? 1H? Leather (6)? 210%? Bash, ST, TH, TR, LP
Gypsy? 4-7? Mage-2? 2? 1H? Leather (6)? 220%? Bash, ST, TH, TR, LP
Warlock? 4-8? Mage-2? 3? 1H? Chainmail (7)? 185%? Bash
Mage? 3-6? Mage-3? 1? Limited? Robe (1)? 140%? Bash
Druid? 4-7? Druid-3? 2? Blunt? Leather (6)? 190%? Bash
Ranger? 5-9? Druid-1? 4? All? Leather (6)? 250%? Bash, TK, ST
Mystic? 4-8? None? 3? Limited? Robe (1)? 250%? Bash, HitMagic +5, MA, DO, ST, EC, KAI

Abilities Codes:

? ? + MR - + Magic Resistance
? ? ? NV - Night Vision
? ? ? ST - Stealth
? ? ?NMI - No magical items
? ? ? TR - Traps
? ? ? LP - Lock Picking
? ? ? DO - Dodging +25%
? ? ? EC - Crit +10
? ? ? TH - Thievery
? ? ? TK - Tracking
? ? ? MA - Punch +1, Kick +1, Jumpkick +1
? ? ?KAI - Kai Powers

Valentine

"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

DeathCow

Valentine

I can table it; it's much easier now that I'm not channeling the dark side to guess the stats.

The Crazy Animal

Encum = Encumbrance modifier
Rfir = Resist Fire
Rcol = Resist cold
Illu = nightvision
Immupoision = immunity to poison
Percep = perception
Maxmana = modification to max mana

There are some others that don't get used as much but that should cover all the ones in the race/class list

DeathCow

The Crazy Animal

With all that info we still forgot to put this in:

Class Magic Styles, Spell casting based on the following stats:
Druid = Intelligence and Wisdom
Mage = Intelligence
Priest = Wisdom
Bard = Charm
Mystic = ?Can?t Remember?

TCA

Valentine

DeathCow

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jan 22, 2006, 08:43 PM
With all that info we still forgot to put this in:

Class Magic Styles, Spell casting based on the following stats:
Druid = Intelligence and Wisdom
Mage = Intelligence
Priest = Wisdom
Bard = Charm
Mystic = ?Can?t Remember?

TCA
Mystic= Based on level, mystic abilities never fail, although some can be resisted by the target.

The Crazy Animal

Getting back to abilities how about these:

Guard <user>:
Triggers chance message of <player> moves to defend <player>
Similar to what the bandits and some other monsters to in mudd. I think it would be a nice feature to have just from the point of being able to protect dropped party members.

First Aid:
( I was thinking of this as an expansion to aid but it might make a nice small quest reward.)
Fix wounds on <player>
Checks for monsters active in room then removes some tickdown hp effects on a player.
Fix wounds
Does the same thing but on self.
(mostly thinking about acid burn/bleeding type effects)

I spotted this one in the mmud idea forum last night and I have to say I like it:

Throw <item>, <multi use command>

Throw <item> <direction>:
This would though an item one room in the given direction. It would be useful in situations like throwing a rope down to someone.

Throw <item> at <player>
This is a basic attack command initiates combat and does damage based on item weight and strength. However, I would have the item land on the ground after the damage effect happens rather than breaking. Maybe there could be a chance daze or knock down based on the weight of the item or damage done.

(How cool would it be to see two half-ogres having a fight by throwing a tree trunk back and forth at each other? If that isn?t good enough to get it in the game, can you think of a more spiteful way of giving someone their death pile back.)

scale wall = I was thinking this might be a neat quest reward for ninjas that basically would let them climb steep inclines without the need for a rope or climbing device. I guess it could have a more interesting name maybe ?triangle jump? or something like that. It could have a pass fail type of effect similar to the jumping between buildings in the slums.

TCA

Ian

Ooh, I like that scale wall idea.  I hate being FORCED to carry round items like the rope, when it's a necessity.  Is there anyone above lvl 10 who DOESN'T carry one?  I think not.

But it only solves the prob for ninjas.  So either it needs to be a class reward, or perhaps a level reward, eg level 30 quest reward or something.

Same goes for boats.  I know in the current realm you can use vortices (plural of vortex) to get around without using the river, but the LoTH makes it scary (he took 1013 damage off my lvl 65 HOG Warrior with 93/30 ac in ONE ROUND the other day).  Learn to swim WELL, without being bashed by rocks.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!