Tides

Started by proteus, Jan 25, 2006, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentine

Attempted to post earlier, but the forum wasn't cooperating.

And I'm not going to be the one who asks exactly which part of DC's post TCA wants to see...
---------------------------------------------

I think the 'permanent' changes would best be suited to specific quests--either one-time quests or a continuous circle.

An example of a continuous circle would be--and I'm being simplistic because it's been a long day and I'm not in a thinking sort of mood--a temple needs to be built. NPC Bob hires PCs to help him build it (gather materials, capital, and actually building)...evil NPC Joe hates the temple and wants it destroyed, hiring a band of evil PCs to ravage the temple by blocking financing, harassing members, blahblahblah, eventually physically destroying it.

Then Bob steps up again to rebuild...could be in the same place, could be in a different place...true to form, Joe pops up again....and so on....
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

DeathCow

QUA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Valentine

I promise it makes sense sober.

Or drunk on wine. Everything makes sense then.

It's 3:30?? I'm not used to being home at this time.

Edited because the grammar Nazi shouldn't have typos. Ooh Donnie Darko is on...
Sometimes I question your committment to Sparkle Motion...hee
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

The Crazy Animal

You know I was having problems connecting too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That?s the kind of thing that I?ve been thinking about mini-quest spawned by mini-quests based on who is standing where at what time. What I think this would do is make it so for some things to function more players would need to be ATK at any given moment. However, I would also plan for the worst-case occurrence where there were no-players are in the right locations so a secondary reversing quest would be unlocked to be completed upon the later wants of the players.

Personally, I view this realm as a place of a major power struggle in which ever way the power should fall should be semi-permanent being that it can be reversed and sent the other way.

Come one DC I've drank a quarter of a 2Liter bottle of rum tonight and I get it...

TCA

Valentine

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jan 28, 2006, 02:44 AM
Come one DC I've drank a quarter of a 2Liter bottle of rum tonight and I get it...

TCA

Oooh math....so...16.9 oz?
I'm gonna shoot myself if I read this tomorrow and I messed that up.

The Crazy Animal

ol, hehe it would be equal to half a bottle of Capt. Morgan if you want to round it off.
Most bottles of hard liquor are sold by the liter.

TCA

Ian

I feel like the odd one out: I'm sober (don't worry, it's temporary).

I like the dynamically changing paths.  Adds a realism that doesn't detract from the game.  And who cares if mega can't handle it.  I can see the plus side.  Areas with dynamically changing room descriptions will only be playable by hand.  Same goes for the tide level idea.  The room title changes every 3 or 6 hrs or something, and is only playable by hand.
Cool.

That's assuming that the area can still be accessed at high tide (treetop village, boats, jumping rooftops like in slums, gnomish fish helm lets you fight underwater).  Perhaps you get washed back to shore when the tide comes in.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

KalEl

As far as dynamic paths messing up mega... I think from my experience with Megadud that as long as the known rooms don't change... it should update path steps as it goes if it changed from the normal.  As long as the directions are the same.

Kal

If Superman is bulletproof, why does he duck when a gun is thrown at him?

Ian

That's the whole thing though... the directions don't have to be same.  Changing the room titles is easy (and basically irrelevant).  You have the option to change the whole AREA!
When the ground level floods, the paths around above could be different.  As I mentioned earlier, it could be something like jumping from rooftop to rooftop across a town, or climbing trees/jumping from branch to branch, or using boats.  I'm sure a more creative person might come up with some more options though.

In fact (and this would be REALLY cool, but probably REALLY hard to implement), the area could be different each time!  The flood/tide could damage paths, but open up new areas at the same time (would need a path-finding algorithm to make sure you could still get from one side to the other).  But that's probably taking things one step too far.  Fun idea though.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

DeathCow

These are interesting ideas..I like them.  They don't have a place for the content im working on right now.  But i could work them in later when quests are being added.