magic system

Started by Krusty, Jun 24, 2007, 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krusty

Does it work yet?  And if so, how do I go about convincing the idols to learn me some spells?  Having a lvl 20+ magic-3 is becoming frustrating when all I can do is fight with him - which he does marginal at best...  If not, can the first 3-15 levels be implemented if not all at once?

DeathCow

Atm I'm missing the ability coding for the magic system so I can't really start putting spells in yet.

Krusty

Krusty

Then here's another question - if a Timelord is majik Time-3, like that which you posted in the typo-filled description  ;D a while ago, is he like a summoner in that his primary circle is time and 3 points are already devoted to it or is he like a mage-3 and he gets to pick and choose from those circles a mage is eligible for?

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Jun 24, 2007, 12:07 PM
Atm I'm missing the ability coding for the magic system so I can't really start putting spells in yet.
What abilities do you  :quote: need :quote:?

We need to get on the :quote: same page :quote:

DeathCow

You :quote: need :quote: to blow me.

I figured you had enough to do...but I'll need an ability for each of the spell circles.  The ability will be on both items and players.  A player will need to have that ability of equal or greater value to the item to use it.

Rather than fill in spots, to make thinks simple for my memory lets just tack these abilities to the end.
188 Fire
189 Air
190 Earth
191 Water
192 Poison
193 Protection
194 Nature
195 Healing
196 Darkness
197 Light
198 Warding
199 Time
200 Mind
201 Summoning
202 Necromancy
203 Arcane

The Crazy Animal

lol I so said this in april in the dev section... under the topic abilities wanted...

Circles of Magic:
1 ability to flag each spell as what it is such as: Circle of fire, water, earth....

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Jun 26, 2007, 01:50 AM
You :quote: need :quote: to blow me.

I figured you had enough to do...but I'll need an ability for each of the spell circles.  The ability will be on both items and players.  A player will need to have that ability of equal or greater value to the item to use it.

Rather than fill in spots, to make thinks simple for my memory lets just tack these abilities to the end.
188 Fire
189 Air
190 Earth
191 Water
192 Poison
193 Protection
194 Nature
195 Healing
196 Darkness
197 Light
198 Warding
199 Time
200 Mind
201 Summoning
202 Necromancy
203 Arcane
I added these abils today, and just an fyi, I prefixed them with the word Circle.

The Crazy Animal

Just out of curiousity:

Do you think we should add some altering abilities for these as well...

Resist (circle)
Alter (circle) Spellcasting
Alter (circle) DMG
Alter (circle) Duration

In each case the altering ability would only work for a spell flagged with the correct circle type.

It would really advance the stratagy involved in EQing and spelling up magic users. As well as put some new twists in on magical combat...

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jul 04, 2007, 07:02 PM
Just out of curiousity:

Do you think we should add some altering abilities for these as well...

Resist (circle)
Alter (circle) Spellcasting
Alter (circle) DMG
Alter (circle) Duration

In each case the altering ability would only work for a spell flagged with the correct circle type.

It would really advance the stratagy involved in EQing and spelling up magic users. As well as put some new twists in on magical combat...
I like that idea.

Let's see what dc and anyone else thinks before implementing.  That's going to add a ton of abilities (15 x 4) if we add those abilities for each of the circles.

DeathCow

atm I don't need the extra abilities as I don't have anything designed for them.

Krusty

before we start chasin' stars, can we just get  :quote: something :quote: in before we start tweakin' it?   :thumbsup:

Vitoc

Quote from: Krusty on Jul 05, 2007, 09:02 AM
before we start chasin' stars, can we just get  :quote: something :quote: in before we start tweakin' it?   :thumbsup:
The abilities dc requested are implemented, so now it's just a matter of adding content to use them.  :D

DeathCow

one small detail though...Are we finally saving character profiles so that I can have an NPC give..bah

Ok basically we'll have an NPC for each of the spell circles.  That NPC will teach the spell circle to a character if they are the right class and if they still have the ability to learn a new circle.  Once the PC as that ability then they will be able to learn spells from the circle assuming they ar the right level to learn the spell (Although honestly I don't care if they can scribe the scroll before they can use it, as long as the engine doesn't allow the PC to use the spell until they get to the right level).  For simlicities sake could I get ability 204 Total circles.  Its just gonna be a counter so you shouldnt have the code anything.

I just need to know that all that information will be saved in the character's profile.

I'm gonna start with just the 4 basic elemental circles and move on from there.  To start with I'd like to work on mages specifically and get everything working for them.  IE learning spells, spells that they can't learn, properly working text for NPCs, and class titles by spell type(their might be something else).

I'm gonna focus on that and also I'm gonna to put together a nice clean post about how to properly set up megamud for greatermud, and post the megamud modules that will prevent megamud from getting confused by new classes and titles.

I will post the new structure for the title textblocks in the development section.

The Crazy Animal

Krusty

I wouldn't exactly call it chasing stars... Since It's more like setting a heading and developing further on an already existing theme that was laid out quite a while ago. I just never brought it up before since it seemed further at that point in time and didn't want to futher complicat it before some ground work was in.

Vitoc

We don't have to add them all in at once or ever. I just figured I'd toss in the majority of potential off-shoot ideas at the same time. I would think resists and alter DMG would probably be the two more popular ones. Once the level to spellcasting restrictions go in (if we still go that route) altering spellcasting would then be more intresting. As for duration altering well that could easily go in last.

DC

LOL I was wondering how exactly you planned on awarding those circles.

I realize that and I wasn't asking him to put them in yet. I was asking if we should look at putting them at some point in the near future. Or otherwise How does this sound, do you like the potential possibles that it would put into play? If so lets come up with some ideas for it.