magic system

Started by Krusty, Jun 24, 2007, 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krusty

I understand CA.  I just keep reading about ideas and thoughts and cool everything, but like any eager consumer/player/person on the other end I'm anxious to see tangible results before I keep dreaming about what could be.  Cart before the horse and all.  I'd help (seriously), but I'm illiterate as far as code goes.

I suppose the magic system and spells are going to be living ie. still up for modification based on balance, user feedback, new ideas, etc.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Krusty on Jul 05, 2007, 07:07 PM
I understand CA.  I just keep reading about ideas and thoughts and cool everything, but like any eager consumer/player/person on the other end I'm anxious to see tangible results before I keep dreaming about what could be.  Cart before the horse and all.  I'd help (seriously), but I'm illiterate as far as code goes.

I suppose the magic system and spells are going to be living ie. still up for modification based on balance, user feedback, new ideas, etc.

Ya there are lots of ideas that have already been put out there and I can understand how it must look sometimes.

I don't deal with the actual engine code either unless it comes to fetching info on or brainstorming methods of doing things. For the most part I just dabble with item creation (100's of icky descriptions) and keeping the bugs in order/look for them. About the horse and cart though before you can even mount it backwards you need to be able to logicly figure out what you want to do otherwise you risk doubling your effort for half the result. So casting out alot of ideas in the long run can actually allow you to better plan how you want to approch actually implimenting something. ie. Not alot of sense in mounting it backwards if you find out after the fact you want it to go on forwards.

Your correct there the entire game in some way is like a living thing.

If you feel comfortable doing descriptions there's always stuff to be done.

Krusty

Ok, then if I chose to contribute by deriving up descriptions for the spells listed thus far, what all do I need to generate?  ie. the description of casting (Freakshow makes an obscene gesture) or the effect (Freakshow farts at  <target> for <dmg> damage), or something else?

I also had another question about the circles bit.  Being a magic 1/2/3, you would be able to learn certain spells in the circles.  So if a mage learns fire/earth/darkness, then he'll have the ability to learn fire-1, earth-1, darkness-1 or will it be fire-3, earth-3, darkness-3?  I'm thinkin' it's the first, but I thought I'd ask.  And I'd guess that being a magic-3 would also help in the damage department if a magic-3 chose three different circles and have the effects of a fire-1 spell be more than a gypsy fire-1 spell simply because he is a higher level magic class or are they going to be equal damage?

Second, you said Time magic wasn't going to be able to cast damage spells of any sort, direct, indirect, AOE and yet a temporal rift is an area effect spell.  Would this be non-damage and only time or what?

Gimmie an idea and I'd like to run with it.  Dog days of summer are wearin' down on me.

DeathCow

Here is an example of a spell and the msges it uses.

Winter's Grace-General-Full Combat Area
Cast Msg 15175
Line 1:You call the power of %s.
Line 2:%s calls the power of %s.
Line 3:%s calls the power of %s.

Line 1=1st Person (caster sees)
Line 2=2nd Person (target sees)
Line 3=3rd Person (non-target sees)
Desc Msg(Only used in duration spells, Appears as the effect, ie stat menu)
Line 1:The breeze calms.
Line 2:
Line 3:A cooling breeze surrounds you!

Line 1=end msg
Line 2=msg displayed when you look at the character(only seen used in shockshield in mmud)
Line 3=starting msg for spell duration effect

Start Msg (Displays Before cast message, just used for text flavor)
Line 1:You close your eyes and begin to chant.
Line 2:%s closes their eyes and begins to chant.
Line 3:%s closes their eyes and begins to chant.

Line 1=First person (caster sees)
Line 2=Second person (target sees)
Line 3=Third Person (non=target sees)

For the most part I am not going to restrict certain spells to magic 1,2,3.  If you can use fire magic then you can use all the fire spells (for the most part, although certain classes might get certains spells in some circles others don't, but I havent decided on that for sure.)

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: DeathCow on Jul 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
For the most part I am not going to restrict certain spells to magic 1,2,3.  If you can use fire magic then you can use all the fire spells (for the most part, although certain classes might get certains spells in some circles others don't, but I havent decided on that for sure.)

Grin work in progress :)

I though we were going to try to switch over to a spellcasting based restriction system, which would set new spell acquisition based on a character's spell casting stat. I.e. a character could get almost all the spells available for their magery group/circle picks but the  :quote:when factor  :quote: would be left up in the air rather then set via  :quote: level and rating :quote: .

Personally I'd like to take it a step further and give each circle a governing stat combo and move to a tallied spellcasting which would work well with that general scheme.

Something like:

Spellcasting - 220 "the one shown on the stat page"
----------------------------------------------
(Secodary) Spellcasting stat page:
Type - Rating - Stat value
Mage - 3 - 98
Fire - 3 - 67 "p circle"
Darkness - 2 - 35 "s circle"
Mind - 1 - 20 "t circle"

It would be nice an clean and give us more room to build off of later via boosting abilities and such.

DeathCow

Oh my twitching brain cells are for oi.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: DeathCow on Jul 20, 2007, 05:58 PM
Oh my twitching brain cells are for oi.

If you start drinking right now they'll eventually stop twitching.  :o