Sitting on the sidelines

Started by banjaxster, Aug 23, 2007, 07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjaxster

After reading the latest post in the sysop forums for MMUD from Shannon I am waiting to see who comes out first with a release.
Metro with mod 10 or Greater Mud.
As you all know metro has taken seams like forever to even start working on MMud and always an excuse,we need a new coder,or we can't give a coder time
to work on it, ect.
I own two MMUD boards and know people are tired of waiting as am I. :P
I have been following your progress so keep at it.Maybe someday.........waiting....... waiting
CedarValley BBS online since 10-01-1998 non pvp
CedarNet BBS online since 10-24-2005 non PVP

Krusty

I'm not waiting for mod10 anymore as much as I am waiting for what happens when it is eventually (too optimistic?) put out and solved/explored/plundered/pillaged over one weekend and all of the users exclaiming "That's it?"  There's gonna be some bugs with it that are probably gonna be fixed at a glacial pace.  There's gonna be some gawd-aweful monster that'll be unbeatable for about a week until we figure out a bug to use or throw sheer brute force at it (all the 75+ chars in two separate parties).  Then there's gonna be an enormous exodus after that because if it took 4-6 years for one mod to come out, many aren't gonna stay around for the next.  At which point, I figure this thing will have passed the crawl stage and starting into a brisk walk and if anyone sticks around, they're comin' here.  Learning a whole new realm w/o maps or a default set of mega paths will eventually have an appeal I think.

I dunno - brain fart.  Here's another question.  With any new game that comes along, more role playing/adventure game, do you also buy the "strategy" guide as well?  Do you play to solve it quick, then restart and play it again with all you know trying to find better stuff along the way, or do you play with the guide at arms length for when you get stumped, or do you play with it reading the chapter before you get there making sure you get all the best gear?  Just curious...

Vitoc

Quote from: banjaxster on Aug 23, 2007, 07:17 AM
After reading the latest post in the sysop forums for MMUD from Shannon I am waiting to see who comes out first with a release.
Metro with mod 10 or Greater Mud.
As you all know metro has taken seams like forever to even start working on MMud and always an excuse,we need a new coder,or we can't give a coder time
to work on it, ect.
I own two MMUD boards and know people are tired of waiting as am I. :P
I have been following your progress so keep at it.Maybe someday.........waiting....... waiting
First, thanks for your support.  It's posts like these that help keep me inspired to work on this project.

Just an fyi for everyone, I've been working on a better version of TGS for some time now.  I've scrapped and restarted it at least a dozen times over the past several months.  Yesterday while I was at work I finally created a new section in the dev forum here for planning and documenation of TGS (I'll do the same for GMUD when TGS is finished).  I'm going to do this right, laying out the requirements and deciding on a featureset before sitting down to code.  My problem has always been I get sidetracked adding in extra features (feature creep) and I lose focus, then I get frustrated when I'm not making the kind of progress I should be in the important areas and I get burned out.  I think this will be better for the entire coding team since now everyone will be on the same page from the very start.  I'm also hoping to get some feedback and constructive criticism from them and if they're interested they're welcome to work on it with me (unless they only want to work on GMUD).

We're currently in the brainstorming phase, throwing every item on the table for TGS that we think is worth mentioning.  Then comes documenting the requirements, prioritizing them, and drawing a line somewhere agreeing this is what will be in v1.0.  I hope to have all that done by next weekend so going into the weekend of Sept. 1st I want to be ready to sit down and start designing the necessary class interfaces and db structure.

I know most of you aren't sitting there thinking "wow, I can't wait for TGS to be finished" because most people are probably here for a Major MUD clone.  I tried skimping on the telnet server portion before and it ended up biting me in the ass, so I'm not going to do it again.  This is a necessary step, and it will benefit everyone in the long term.  My goal is to make TGS very robust and I'm going to encourage any .NET developers out there to create other modules for it that will easily plug in to it.

Cliff's notes: TGS v1.0 is on it's way.