Death hp setting

Started by Ian, Mar 28, 2008, 10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

My char has very few hps (31 to be exact).  The current death setting is at -30 hps.  I hang on pretty well it seems.

I reckon it might be better to make the death hps variable, something like -10% or -5%.  Means the n00bs die quickly (as you'd expect), but my lvl 75 witchy with over 1000 hps can hang on for a long time (-100 or -50).
Could also try making it non-linear.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

The Crazy Animal

so you want your new character to die at -5 hp :)

I see the logic in this and its a fair idea to boot but is it really needed...

we could just do something like:
Death Setting = -30 + (-1*(2*LVL))
And be fair to all the low HP classes too...

But still is it really needed... characters do need to die at some point or there's no element of risk involved..

Ian

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Mar 29, 2008, 06:21 PM
so you want your new character to die at -5 hp :)
Basically, yes.  For a character to get to -100% hps before dying not only sounds ludicrous, but a higher level char doesn't have the same "advantage".

we could just do something like:
Death Setting = -30 + (-1*(2*LVL))
And be fair to all the low HP classes too...
For sure, the formula would need some tinkering.  Just seemed strange that a char with 31 hps dies at -30, and a char with 1000 hps dies at -30.  Doesn't take into account vitality/constitution of a character.

But still is it really needed... characters do need to die at some point or there's no element of risk involved..
Of course die at some point, just the point is variable.  I'm even arguing that "weaker" characters should die at an earlier point.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

The Crazy Animal

I suppose it could factor in heath or something like that. However at high levels health is always maxed out and that would mess that up...

ie. bonus = current percentage of min/max health... ie. .5 would be 50 health out of 100... type of thing..

I just have this nagging feeling it would lead to people laying on the ground longer and longer making it easier and easier to rescue them...

Ian

Not longer.  Bigger chars would have more hps available to them whilst laying on the ground, but they also have much bigger monsters swinging at them.  A lvl 1 char can lay on the ground dying for 10 rounds while his monster flails away uselessly, a lvl 70 char doesn't even get a chance when dropped.  They go straight from 200hps to dead.

It gives them a CHANCE to be rescued which they don't currently have.

The Crazy Animal

I guess I'm just thinking at the pace characters out grow content... which is normally fast...

You do make a good point though...

I suppose the base formula ie what would give that base 30 could be altered via health so at level one you'd start out with a percentage of 30 (perhaps higher) and a small level bonus and then continue to add on to it via level after the health max is reached. That would at least put a little stat play into and give races a little more variance.

Jigga

Yeah it is pretty silly that a high level character with 1000 hps dies at -20.

At that point in the game you never get dropped, you just get killed because monsters/players hit you for 300.

I like the idea of a formula
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

Trios

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Mar 29, 2008, 08:00 PM
I guess I'm just thinking at the pace characters out grow content... which is normally fast...

You do make a good point though...

I suppose the base formula ie what would give that base 30 could be altered via health so at level one you'd start out with a percentage of 30 (perhaps higher) and a small level bonus and then continue to add on to it via level after the health max is reached. That would at least put a little stat play into and give races a little more variance.

I don't understand why you want to link this to health. A character's robustness is shown in this game by their maximum hit points. This is modified by health, level, class, and items you're wearing. Health plays a very large role in this, but it's still just part of the equation.

The point in which you die should be based on a percentage of your hit points, which is already figured by the game using all the above information about your character to determine robustness. A hog warrior will die at a lower -hp than a gaunt mage, and yes their health will be part of it, but it shouldn't be the only part -- a hog mage should still die before a human warrior, after all!

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Trios on Apr 08, 2009, 10:46 AM
I don't understand why you want to link this to health.

Was thinking about the poor little halflings that despite having a high health have that -hp/level thingy... If health went into the equation then you could make up for some of that. Was just a thought nothing set in stone.

Trios

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Apr 11, 2009, 12:24 PM
Was thinking about the poor little halflings that despite having a high health have that -hp/level thingy... If health went into the equation then you could make up for some of that. Was just a thought nothing set in stone.

I hope you didn't think I was attacking you, I just honestly didn't understand why you wanted to link it to health. The halfling chose his fate, by choosing halfling. It makes the most sense to base death at a percentage of hit points, not really anything else.

The Crazy Animal

Didn't think you were. Theres other reasons to linking it to the health stat too other then just the halflings. Like effects of health stat lowering spells on the death hp setting... Its just not something I see as a big make or break issue so I just gave a very simple explanation.