Dynamic item qualities

Started by proteus, Jan 30, 2006, 05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

It occured to me that one of the reasons some races don't get played regularly is because certain things like enc. make carrying around optimal items a pain in the ass. So, I thought, what if some qualities of certain items, like high-end lim-1 type armor or weapons, weren't determined until their creation?

Take, for instance, the Petrified Stone Corselet in MMUD. It's a nice enough lim-1, if you're a HOG or Dwarf fighter-type.

Petrified Stone Corselet
40/20
Stealth -30
Dodge -30
Acc -10
2300 enc

Now, say for whatever reason, you're a halfling, and you somehow managed to beat everyone there and kill the chieftain. You're SOL, and it sucks, great battle but no real reward for you. Pity. But under this system, the PSC's total enc and maybe AC/DR aren't determined until the chieftain dies and the item drops. So instead, you might end up with (just an example, don't think this is what I'd want it to actually be)

30/10
1000 enc

Something I believe a halfling could wear. To avoid abuse, if this is implemented, a racial-specific flag could be added to it in the act of "creation" so that it's now also halfling-only, so that you wouldn't have all these people rolling up low-strength characters to make the items lighter, then rerolling to get super-characters.

Dunno how this would fall on the realism-meter, and it might actually be that it's more trouble than it'd be worth in coding. But it's a neat idea.

The Crazy Animal

I get it but I don't think it should be done to limited items. A limited item is something that already exists so its size and shape should fit the NPC that was using it rather then the character that gets it as a reward. I've thought about this a lot in the past and found that there isn't really a good way to go about it.

The one idea that seemed the most reasonable was to make the smaller low strength races with an ability flag that would modify the encumbrance of worn item. What this would do is subtract a percentage of the items encumbrance making it appear to weigh less when on a character possessing the ability. However, the problem with this is when there isn't enough room in encumbrance to pick the item up. yes there is a way to get around this by letting characters grab more then their encumbrance will normally let them but I don't know if anyone would like this type of trickery in place.
TCA

DeathCow

poor halfling and there 2880 enc.

Ideally I'd like to make it so there are items for every class/race combination.  So you could make a halfling paladin and have armour that better suits him/her.  Like lightplate that doesn't subtract from dodge..

The Crazy Animal

hehe ya its always going to be poor halflings unless something gets done about it.

TCA

proteus

Quote from: DeathCow on Jan 30, 2006, 07:28 PM
poor halfling and there 2880 enc.

Ideally I'd like to make it so there are items for every class/race combination.? So you could make a halfling paladin and have armour that better suits him/her.? Like lightplate that doesn't subtract from dodge..

This sounds like it'd probably be an easier way to do things.