CP usage and stats... & character development...

Started by The Crazy Animal, Jun 17, 2008, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

This is half an idea but I thought it would be a better discussion topic...

As far as stats go we all know how they effect the game for the most part some better then others but we have a fair idea... We also know with the stat caps the stats hit a point that you can't raise them any more... And that this leaves the CPs to build up... And all players of the same race and class end up with cookie cutter characters by a certain point in the game...

Now not to inject reality into the fantasy of the situation but everything in reality decays except our character stats...  If a body builder doesn't train consistantly they loose muscle mass... If a mathamatition doesn't use their formulas they forget them...

Currently the way CPs are paid into stats don't really cooperate with this but besides that point what if we could make stats decay a little each level... This would mean that over the course of the game it would be harder to hit that max stat cap as well as have each character have some element of condition to it... For example you might have a player that excessively pumps up their strenght while letting their intellect waist away...

We've talked about putting in some type of penalty for death in the game and mentioned waisting stats and that could be a part of this too but for the most part the idea is to return the feeling of consistant character development that players enjoy in the start of the game to the later high level characters...

I'm really intrested in hearing other peoples thoughts on this....

Does everyone else get bored with their character development after hitting the stat caps like I do? I know new gear/spells helps ease this but beyond that... Whats your views on the rewards of leveling after that point...

Chupon

I totally agree. One of my biggest complaints about majormud is the maxing of stats and the boredom that ensues. If stats could constantly grow and higher levels were possible to achieve the game would retain its fun for much longer.

The Crazy Animal

Right I often kill my characters not to long after they max out and I get what ever gear I want to finish them off with.

So if we were to degrade stats per level and possibly on death what are some of the things people would like or wouldn't like to see? What's too much, what's fair, what's too little? Since we get 3 lives per level should each life be egual to a third of that levels CP gain?

Should this be a on/off type feature as I realize it could make the game much harder...?

Theres lots of ways to go about this but I'd love some input before I put on my thinking cap to gen a full idea...

Keep in mind that this leaves the possibility open for higher CP rewards per level and stuff like CP quest rewards that to help compensate for loosing points from really high stats..."You know the ones where it might take 5 levels to raise it 1 point..."

Anyone else have opinions on this? As this would be something that would be a big change for game...

Oaco

I might not be entirely clear on how stats would decay and how that would affect the endgame however I do remember there being talk of allowing those extra CP's to be used to increase specific character attributes like S.C. or add extra HP or MP.  Or something like being able to learn new abilities like tracking or making a non stealthy character stealthy.