Variable Stats for Non-limited items

Started by geeogree, Apr 18, 2009, 05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geeogree

Is there any way to create items that have a random set of stats when dropped? As in not every single (I guess I can't use limited items cause that would make no sense.... but in non-lims it would) Stormmetal Scalemail Tunic would be 30/10 -3 ACC Rlit +20 etc etc... but maybe it could be lighter, or have better AC or DR or more Rlit.... or less of these things as well etc etc. Maybe have a range on what the stats are when the item drops. This would prevent characters from looking exactly the same once they hit a certain level cap. The items themselves would be at least variable enough that not every class would be wearing the exact same non-lims.

So maybe each item could have a +/- range on it. Of course low items may not get this but on sigh higher level armour it would be nice to get a +/- 10%. Of course there would have to be some way to see all these things on the item when looked at

Not sure if this has been approached or attempted before but if it's possible I think it would make characters much more unique in the realm.

The Crazy Animal

Almost anything is possible...

I don't really agree about variable stats for items in the way you talk about it though. I.e. items are made from materials... each material has characteristics that should be followed. Having said that though I wouldn't mind seeing items drop in various condition states. Where as a condition state would be one of the following: (just to give a few ideas of what I mean)

Damaged - In this state a item has lowered stats and it can be fixed but costs money.

Normal - Default state

Enchanted - has a semi-random enchantment on it and is marked magical if it is not already.

Enhanced (Non-magical version of enchanted semi-random bonus state)
*Armour
Reinforced (+AC, +ENC)
Lightened (-AC, -ENC)

*Weapons
Serrated - causes ripping DOT effect
Studded - causes chance stun
Spiked - causes chance bleed-out DOT effect
Sharpened - +DMG (min/max)

At any rate the condition state would be tagged infront of the item name so you might get a serrated glowing broadsword or a reinforced stormmetal scalemail tunic. As under this method it would save on the confusion and frustration of having to pick up and try on each peice of gear with the same name just to see what the stats are.

geeogree

Hey, I'm all for ideas on how to make gear more variable. The idea I had was just off the top of my head (and somewhat related to WOW) in how it would have worked. I have no problem with this sort of a system. I just more variability in what items we get would make the game more replayable. I know right now what the majority of my end gear would be for most classes. Something like this would at least make items different.

The Crazy Animal

I actually have a much larger idea lurking in my head for creating player assemble able semi-unique items so this would just set some of the ground work in. I just haven't had the time to type the whole thing out. I agree with you though that the replay value of the game needs to be greatly enhanced though.

(Off Topic - I've stayed away from wow but I've been beta testing on Runes of Magic off and on since december if you've ever heard of it, its also a free to play unlike wow...)