Mod-10 Beyond the 6th Quest.

Started by DeathCow, Aug 05, 2009, 10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schwagg

Quote from: Rhinehold on Aug 07, 2009, 12:58 PM

3. - Limiteds.  If you wan't to keep limiteds then fine.  I will unlimit them on my own board, but I have to agree with Kalus though.  I would rather weapons were just harder to get than limited.  Limited wepons juts means you "got there first"  it doesn't mean your a good player, or you and your friends are good players.  Receiving a weapon that drops for HARD bosses(not stupid hard like hanging tree / ozrinom) then THAT is an accomplisment.

Example:  Thrag drops some of the best items in the game, that are used for MANY levels.  Killing thrag is not an accomplisment, and using his limited gear is shouldn't be prestigious, you just got there first.  Chances are you got there first because you have the ability to work from home, play at work, or the other guys went on vacation for the weekend......

I also subscribe to this philosophy.

Controlling drop rates through spawn times and drop percentages is a more forgiving system that would work better for large boards than the current limited system does. I totally agree with getting rid of the "limited item" tag and replacing it with an intelligent rework of drop rates and spawn times. I DO, however, think that certain "legendary" quality weapons should still remain limit one.  Items like Feyr, Dusk, Darkbane, Sword of Oz, etc are clearly made to be one of a kind. This system would leave a vast array of items available to everyone with the tenacity to keep going after them, as well as allow pvpers to seek the supreme weapons by killing players for them on pvp boards.

[/quote]

DeathCow

Quote from: Rhinehold on Aug 07, 2009, 12:58 PM

Example:  Thrag drops some of the best items in the game, that are used for MANY levels.  Killing thrag is not an accomplisment, and using his limited gear is shouldn't be prestigious, you just got there first.  Chances are you got there first because you have the ability to work from home, play at work, or the other guys went on vacation for the weekend......

For one, I can tell you that my talent on a fresh reset are unsurpasses.  Many people have started alot of shit talk with me.  No one on any bbs I've played in that passed 10 years has EVER beat me to thrag.

In general my recognition in MMUD comes from my proving this on bbs after bbs.  I know alot about mmud, and I know people know I know alot about MMUD.  I wasn't recognized until I had clearly proved that I could under any circumstance win the race for thrag.  That race for thrag is what makes you a top runner on a bbs.  Its a mmud staple in my mind. 

Now that you know how I personally feel about the first run on thrag, keep that in mind, because I will now waver on that.

edit* before i get alot of shit...In the past several years I've had alot of people disagree with me on topics from here to there..alot of the time people preface them with saying that they respect me..even on mmb...flame capitol of the world.

Rhinehold

hey, i respect you.... even after last night..... you jerk  *cry* :-(

;-)

Seriously though, DC, I think its great that you have the title "race to thrag king".  When i said "you"  I wasn't speaking to "DeathCow" i was speaking to "the general you".  I am speaking about the majorMUD community as a whole.

Again, I'll just say this.  If you want to keep limiteds that's fine.  Its not a BROKEN aspect of the game, just an annoying one.  Plus I'll just hex everything unlimited on MY board ;-)

I also agree that perhaps there could be a comprise.  Reduce the limiteds to rare, specific items.  Having 5 golden rings is silly, or 3 golden broadswords.  Unless there is something in the lore that gives reason to a weapon being limited, then it can be silly.

That said, if we fix the gear problem, then late comers can get the "unused" limiteds because the higher level people will have replaced all the (example: thrag) gear with new higher level items, and the lower level ones will now be available.

DC, what say you on the other issues ;-)

-CD

EDIT:  For clarification.  I mean that things like Feyr, I understand as being limited.  but things like gold ring, or golden broadsword, which don't even have a very "unique" sounding name, should just have it removed.  The questors make sense, but then again quest weapons from the alignments are not limited you just need to attain them by completing the quest.

kalus

Quote from: DeathCow on Aug 07, 2009, 06:40 PM
For one, I can tell you that my talent on a fresh reset are unsurpasses.  Many people have started alot of shit talk with me.  No one on any bbs I've played in that passed 10 years has EVER beat me to thrag.

In general my recognition in MMUD comes from my proving this on bbs after bbs.  I know alot about mmud, and I know people know I know alot about MMUD.  I wasn't recognized until I had clearly proved that I could under any circumstance win the race for thrag.  That race for thrag is what makes you a top runner on a bbs.  Its a mmud staple in my mind. 

Now that you know how I personally feel about the first run on thrag, keep that in mind, because I will now waver on that.

edit* before i get alot of shit...In the past several years I've had alot of people disagree with me on topics from here to there..alot of the time people preface them with saying that they respect me..even on mmb...flame capitol of the world.

DC I think you need to take a step back and consider the average end user perspective as they are going to have different requirements to a pro mudder.

There should still be elements in the game to cater for the competitive types who want to prove themselves better players than everyone else, but the current system hurts the average player too much. Thrag is a good example, it gets killed once, then no-one bothers killing it ever again, effectively deleting the area and monsters from the game.

Some more possible ideas that come to mind to cater for the pros (assuming unlimited items)

- more level 10 quest type areas where only one char can enter. Have an easy path and a hard (would be mega hard) path both giving different rewards.
- arena ranking system and arena top list. Item rewards for being on top.
- pvp ranking system and top list. Have quest leaders give rewards for pvp kills

DeathCow

Quote from: kalus on Aug 08, 2009, 02:34 PM
DC I think you need to take a step back and consider the average end user perspective as they are going to have different requirements to a pro mudder.

There should still be elements in the game to cater for the competitive types who want to prove themselves better players than everyone else, but the current system hurts the average player too much. Thrag is a good example, it gets killed once, then no-one bothers killing it ever again, effectively deleting the area and monsters from the game.

Some more possible ideas that come to mind to cater for the pros (assuming unlimited items)

- more level 10 quest type areas where only one char can enter. Have an easy path and a hard (would be mega hard) path both giving different rewards.
- arena ranking system and arena top list. Item rewards for being on top.
- pvp ranking system and top list. Have quest leaders give rewards for pvp kills

I'd agree, completely, If their weren't already areas with items just under limited in power level that never get used.  I want to, and have every intention to, add new areas with gear and scripting for lower levels; but I do not want to mess with the already established game.  If i was going to do that, it be in a seperate update, not contained within a new mod.