Problem w/ timing of "Sneaking..." message

Started by Jigga, Oct 02, 2009, 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigga

Okay so this is a little hard to explain (and hard to show in a cap), but if you go and try this out you'll see what I mean.

When a character moves from room to room there is the standard 1 or 2 second delay and a blank line is shown on the bottom of the screen before the description of the next room appears.

In MajorMUD, when you are a stealthly character and sneaking when you move from room to room, immediately upon exit of the room you are in, above that blank like, and before the 1 or 2 second delay, the "Sneaking..." message appears, letting you know that your character is sneaking.

If your sneak fails, there is no message.

Currently, in GreaterMUD, the "Sneaking..." message is displayed AFTER the 1-2 second delay. Instead of displaying (or not displaying in the case of a sneak failing) the message as you exit the room you're currently in, it displays the message immediately before the description of the next room (while you're entering the next room).

Basically by the time GreaterMUD tell you whether or not your sneak was successful, it's too late, you're already in the next room.

So in PVP, or just dealing with monsters, this becomes a problem with round timing and such.

I hope I've explained this properly, I'm going to attempt to show what I mean with a cap but it's kind of hard to do because like I said, it's a timing issue.

Check it out:

How it is:

Gnome Village, Windmill
Obvious exits: north, open door southeast
[HP=275/MA=36]:sn
Attempting to sneak...
[HP=275/MA=36]:n
                                   <--- delay moving into next room
Sneaking...
Gnome Village
Obvious exits: south, northwest
[HP=275/MA=36]:

How it should be:

Gnome Village, Windmill
Obvious exits: north, open door southeast
[HP=275/MA=36]:sn
Attempting to sneak...
[HP=275/MA=36]:n
Sneaking...
                                   <--- delay moving into next room
Gnome Village
Obvious exits: south, northwest
[HP=275/MA=36]:

It's pretty simple, you can check it out with a level 1 character.

Keep up the good work, GMud rocks!
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

DeathCow

Also, although I don't think we should bother mimicking this, in MMUD sneaking is always a 1.5 second delay, regardless of enc.