main-gauche items

Started by SluTFisHy, Jan 12, 2010, 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SluTFisHy

My debate is that with the list of classes that can already use a main-gauche
Warrior, Paladin, Missionary, Ninja, Thief, Bard, Gypsy, Ranger

I totally think a warlock should be able to use one.

When you look at the fact that a warrior, paladin, ranger, missionary and gypsy? can use one; Why can't a warlock?

Warlock's are light armour class, it just seems like it would make sense, seems more like a mistake then anything.

Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

Gardner Denver

Says in description of the class that locks need 1 hand free to direct their ranged spells.  Probably why they were not allowed to use the gauche.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Jan 12, 2010, 12:00 PM
Says in description of the class that locks need 1 hand free to direct their ranged spells.  Probably why they were not allowed to use the gauche.

That would indeed be why. Does it make for great logic; not really, unless they are using sign language to cast their spells or need to direct the spell with an open palm. And I'd go so far as saying it makes even less sense with the gypsies being able to use them. Same magic group so what changed?

I don't see the gauche as a make it or break it item so what's your visions for how a mage magic group class casts and directs spells? As I could lean either way on this.

kalus

Makes no sense really. How does a mage cast spells holding a 2-handed staff?

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: kalus on Jan 12, 2010, 09:36 PM
Makes no sense really. How does a mage cast spells holding a 2-handed staff?

2-handed staffs are a little different you can still hold a 2-handed staff upright with 1 hand easily. Where as if you remove one hand from the gauche without putting it away first you'd drop it. Which is what I was saying alot of its in how you picture them casting their spells. Come on be creative :)

SluTFisHy

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jan 12, 2010, 09:00 PM
And I'd go so far as saying it makes even less sense with the gypsies being able to use them. Same magic group so what changed?

I don't see the gauche as a make it or break it item so what's your visions for how a mage magic group class casts and directs spells? As I could lean either way on this.
yeah another main point was the gypsy haveing mage-2 also and not making sense. true there crazy animal

doesn't make sense that one would be able to cast it better then the other or with a main-gauche or not.

Thergin

Gypsies are combat 2, compared with 3, they sacrifice combat in many ways, magic, and stealth. They in general are more dexterous due to being able to rob, pick locks, and disarm traps. That is why they can use a parry dagger and magic at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

"The main-gauche (French for "left hand", pronounced: [mɛ? ɡoʃ]) is used mainly to assist in parrying incoming thrusts, while the dominant hand wields a rapier or similar longer weapon intended for one-handed use. "

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Thergin on Jan 20, 2010, 12:22 AM
Gypsies are combat 2, compared with 3, they sacrifice combat in many ways, magic, and stealth. They in general are more dexterous due to being able to rob, pick locks, and disarm traps. That is why they can use a parry dagger and magic at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

"The main-gauche (French for "left hand", pronounced: [mɛ? ɡoʃ]) is used mainly to assist in parrying incoming thrusts, while the dominant hand wields a rapier or similar longer weapon intended for one-handed use. "

My point was kind of how do they direct the magic... It would need to be different with a item in hand than without one. Provided they use their hands at all to direct it. Sure they can be more dexterous but that doesn't change the fact of if they were holding an item or not.

SluTFisHy

Crazy animal has a point

Doesn't matter how you look at it IMO a warlock should be able to use a main-gauche item. Warlocks get crap enough as it is.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: SluTFisHy on Jan 20, 2010, 09:17 AM
Crazy animal has a point

Doesn't matter how you look at it IMO a warlock should be able to use a main-gauche item. Warlocks get crap enough as it is.

I'm still drunk and still wondering how do they direct it? If they get crap, do crap, or drop a crap in the crapper allot is another issue ;p... However what I'm saying though is every magic class style should have some common theme of how they attack or defend with magic. It just doesn't seem so here even though druids and rangers are another issue completely you know band on sharps exept for the golden...

So like I said earlier use your imagination.... How do they direct it? I'll go for the best answer...

Darmius

If mages can use a staff as a spell focus item.  Then warlock are trained to use a sword as their spell focus item.  Now they can use 2hder's.  Same would work for gypsies but as 1hders.  Warlock with 2hders could be fun.

SluTFisHy

extremely good point darmius.

making warlock's 2 handers would definately take the suck right out of them. rofl.. but im just shooting for them to be able to use main-gauche items for now ;)

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Darmius on Jan 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
If mages can use a staff as a spell focus item.  Then warlock are trained to use a sword as their spell focus item.  Now they can use 2hder's.  Same would work for gypsies but as 1hders.  Warlock with 2hders could be fun.

This was the type of creative answer I was hoping to see. Nice. And I would have to say it could very well put the war back into warlock. The only thing is is if they use their sword as their focus item then whats keeping them from using a main-gauche? :)

Darmius

Warlocks with a 2hder and speed would be about equal to a warrior in damage output.  I would love to see the warlock improved.  More dmg than combat 4's when using their debuff/buffs.  Combat 3 + speed is  equal to combat 4 right?

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Darmius on Jan 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
Warlocks with a 2hder and speed would be about equal to a warrior in damage output.  I would love to see the warlock improved.  More dmg than combat 4's when using their debuff/buffs.  Combat 3 + speed is  equal to combat 4 right?

There's more to combat than just a speed increase so compairing C3 to C4 doesn't really work like that. I would imagine off hand and not looking at all the buffs and formulas that they could probably get pretty close though. This is kind of getting off topic though.