Jan 25 10, 9:00 pm CDT Crash

Started by Gardner Denver, Jan 25, 2010, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardner Denver

We're aware of it, and we're trying to fix the problem.

Gardner Denver

We are gathered here today to pay our final respects to the GreaterMUD Server.  She was a good server, a little slow at times, but never failed to bring the joy and love that only MUD can provide.  She was single and had no children.

She is survived by the Forums Server, the Development Server, and another computer.  The owner requests that in lieu of flowers you send donations to your favorite charity.  So long faithful server.  We will miss you.

We'll try to have everything back up and running tomorrow at some point.  Sorry for any problems this may cause anyone.

Gardner Denver

Rhinehold

Life moves on.

No major project is without its minor set backs.

Thanks for everything you do Vitoc and Gardner!

Cheers,

-DR

Vitoc

Thank for your patience and understanding.

The HD on the GMUDServer is essentially dead.  I hear what sounds like the head(s) bouncing around scratching the platter(s) creating a very high frequency scratching sound and it simply won't boot.

Tonight I'll give it a couple more shots to boot, and when then doesn't work I'm going to try to find a recent backup that wasn't stored on GMUDServer but prepare for the worst. :(  On the plus side, this kind of forces me to move us over to the nicer quad-core box I've had sitting idle for the past month or so.

SluTFisHy

well we may all be losing some levels ;) lol
Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

Excarkun

;D Wow the good thing is depending on how old that backup is, We might get another shot at the Lich and hopefully this Time No Lag Spikes. 

Gardner Denver

Well folks the news is not good.  The hard drive won't even spin up so there is no hope of recovering the data that is on the drive.  Unfortunately most of our backups were also stored on that same drive.  We did find one old backup but it was so close to the reset that we might as well just set up 2 brand new realms.

So....

We're going to take the next few days and get everything moved on to a new computer, we're going to get a new ISP on Friday, we'll smoke test everything on Saturday, and put up 2 fully reset realms on Sunday January 31 2010 at Noon Mountain time.

All the rules and settings will be the same as before.

We are very sorry about this.  We will be putting a new backup routine in place that stores the backups in another location in case this happens again.

Bahaus

I realize this is a free place to play. I realize I have no right to complain. I realize crashes happen but ...

Is it not obvious to store a back-up on a separate locations than the thing you are backing up. Isn't that the whole point?

Shrug ...
I can Haz level 90?

Gardner Denver

You are correct, we should have had a better backup system in place.

Endo

Excarkun

I'm sure you just made Jacknife/sry and others real happy.. O0 ;D

kalus

Any chance we can get some new stuff on one of the realms? DeathCow's maps? Anything at all!?

SluTFisHy

Hahahaah everyones going spellcaster ;)~

Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

Rhinehold

Thanks for the update Gardner.  I for one, appreciate everything you and Vitoc are doing to recover from this catastrophe.

I'm sure your newly implemented security protocols will prevent this from happening again ;-)

Thanks again for everything!

-DR
just another Mudder.