Jan 25 10, 9:00 pm CDT Crash

Started by Gardner Denver, Jan 25, 2010, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

RIP to the most fun server I've played on (at least as an adult, comparisons to childhood memories are never fair).
It is probably for the best, the realm was starting to stagnate.

I was hoping that maybe the current pvp rules could be re-discussed - the pvp level limit possibly changed, and
whether there is any possibility that we can go back to the 'no lives given out except for bugs' rules?

I noticed that after this rule was officially changed, pvp almost died off on the bbs, and there was very little 'testing
for bugs' going on anymore. This may have also been to do with dodge being rather over-powered, but I think that
part of the thrill was taken away once lives were no longer an object of value. I know that it was a disincentive for
me at least.

I do appreciate that the primary role of the realm should be testing, but feel that this is made easier if people start
the proverbial excrement for personal gain, rather than out of altruism.

I would also appreciate everyone else's thoughts on this, as I like to play this game my way, and others their own.
But I always feel that a PVP realm should be 'a tough place where wimps eat flaming plasma death' (sc2.sourceforge.net)

Thank you again,

Kqaltha.

Valiant Lyta

These things happen.....it's no worry as far as I'm concerned, it's a game.  Thanks for all your hard work, gentlemen....you are the best!

Excarkun

Wait a minute.. what of all those updates and bugges that were fixed or being worked on? Are they all lost too or was that saved somewhere else?
What type of Gmud is being Rested?
what updates/patches/bug fixes can we expect or not expect?

Also I agree it would be cool to see some of DeathCows maps and some quest added to both realms in this Push and if Tracking can be fixed.

Yea, also maybe set pvp to 15 lvls.. and also i too think dodge in pvp was a bit over powered needed to be tweaked a bit down.

Jigga

Sorry to hear about the crash...

Made it to level 62 and never did get my hands on that MEA... hahaha

Honestly.... reset? HELL YEAH! I started late on the previous realms so was behind a bit.

What to make this time... hrmmm...
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

SluTFisHy

Quote from: Zetetic on Jan 27, 2010, 03:38 AM
I do appreciate that the primary role of the realm should be testing, but feel that this is made easier if people start
the proverbial excrement for personal gain, rather than out of altruism.

I would also appreciate everyone else's thoughts on this, as I like to play this game my way, and others their own.
But I always feel that a PVP realm should be 'a tough place where wimps eat flaming plasma death' (sc2.sourceforge.net)

Wow could not agree more, mmud was* getting very lame and boring after that rule. We almost lost a lot of players on top of it.

But I do agree, it was one of the funnest servers I have played on in years as well. I am hoping for a good round two ;)

Also made it to lvl 62, at a  dwarf warlock. And I have to admit, Until the carsh. I was pretty badass, and stealing the top 10.... oh yeah ;)!!!
Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

Vitoc

To clear up a few things:

Yes, our backup plan for the realms was crappy.  There's really no excuse for this other than a combination of laziness and not getting around to it.  We *should* all back up our data just like we *should* all go to the dentist every 6 months, we *should* all not drink or smoke, and we *should* all eat healthy and exercise.  I should have taken the time to set up a sql job that automatically backed up the realm databases onto another box, but I didn't and I'm sorry.  Hardware failures are always a major inconvenience, even with a good backup strategy.  Anyway, we'll put an actual item on our todo list to consistently backup the upcoming realms to prevent this from happening in the future.

What we lost were the databases that stored all the instance data for TGS and both GreaerMUD realms (ie. Players, Gangs, item/mob/room instance data, etc.).  All the code is safe on my development box (and I do back that up onto my USB drive weekly).  I have the latest version of my NMR to GMUD converter and an NMR database for version P which I will use to create the new GMUD databases for each realm.  I have a TGS database from back in November which I will use to start out so people don't have to recreate their accounts.  

*** Please note if you created a user account after early November you will have to recreate your user and password. ***

I'm not opposed to running a different set of content on one of the realms, but I'm not sure we can get everyone to agree on what content to use.  I'd suggest a 3rd realm, but it's already tough enough to have to update two different databases anytime I make any database schema changes, and I'm not sure I'm ready to have to work with 3, at least not until we get closer to release.

We can change the rules for the pvp realm if everyone agrees on the changes.  

Again, sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you'll stick with us for the upcoming new realms.

Thanks,
Vitoc

Excarkun

Quote from: Vitoc on Jan 27, 2010, 09:06 AM

I'm not opposed to running a different set of content on one of the realms, but I'm not sure we can get everyone to agree on what content to use.  I'd suggest a 3rd realm, but it's already tough enough to have to update two different databases anytime I make any database schema changes, and I'm not sure I'm ready to have to work with 3, at least not until we get closer to release.

We can change the rules for the pvp realm if everyone agrees on the changes. 

Again, sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you'll stick with us for the upcoming new realms.

Thanks,
Vitoc

First all it was free.. So not much to complain about and it was a fun ride too boot.  So no thank you

Second I'm for one at letting Deathcow add in some of his mod 10 maps and a quest .. yea I was thinking just addons/mods  to Majormud.
And if this is Deathcows baby the mod 10 and such let him decide.
But if you want my in put.... why not just have it on both realms, I don't like an idea of a third realm either.
And I'll say make it a small add on, then go from there.

Again Thanx, It's  great that info on fixes and updates and such were saved. This helps on what type of Class/Race character's to make this time around.

Gardner Denver

The TRUTH behind the crash!!!  Vitocs cat did it!