Any way to have more limiteds for non pvp realm this time?

Started by Chupon, Jan 28, 2010, 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chupon

I don't know if its possible or desired but since theres so many people testing on the non pvp realm and hoarding of items isnt something people try to do but because of the normal limits of items (which typically applies to smaller muds) if there was 2x or 3x multiplier on item limits this reset i think it would encourage more users and also spread around the good loot so everyone has a chance to test out the harder areas in the game without having to step on peoples toes or chase higher geared players scripts like what started happening in the last push. Just a thought to consider, i dont think it would harm the game mechanics to have a couple more druid staffs or nexus spears in the game just give more people a chance to want to play other classes. Normally it isnt something i would say for a competitive bbs but greatermud is all about testing and learning, might get 2x the people playing here if they knew they could have a better chance at something good. Last push i was one of the people with the good gear, i wasn't trying to hold on to too many items but even at level 70s i couldnt give up the darkbane. If there was more of them it would be nicer to other people. Just something to consider.

Tragedy

I vote for this in PvP realm to, 2x users is great idea for 30+ Individual users

schwagg

I'd like to go a step further and suggest more slight modding of the PVE realm.

1. I would suggest double or triple limited items for the PVE realm.
2. *PLEASE* fix the teleport system for PVE : )
3. Add a wealth of the existing database items (ones that currently aren't in game, like manastones, shintai swords, cosmic staff,  etc) to high level bosses as low % drops. Add chests to bosses that are hard but have little allure to kill. Imagine how much more allure bosses like Arachnigoth would have if you had a 1% chance to get a smoking blackwood chest from them.
4. Remove the parts of the textblocks that allow you just one chance to fight Zanthus, so that everyone will have a chance to experience the fight.
5. Reduce boss spawn times of bosses that are over 72 or 96 hours.
6. Just glance over the biggest annoyance shops and make it more likely for items like scrolls to spawn! It's ridiculous for people on a non pvp realm to be level 50 or higher and still not have zeal or serenity or song of battle.
7. **Give us a reason to leave conventional scripting areas and to go to the hardest places in the game! Take a look at a few things like wraith knights, sea hags, gnaj monsters, diamond mine demonlings, volcano mobs, undermountain mobs, and blackwood forest monsters. It just makes sense to increase the exp per kill on an invidividual basis for most or all of these monsters! People shouldn't still be scripting Storm giants and stone giants at level 75, especially since there will likely be thirty people who would benefit much more from those types of places if the high level characters had somewhere to move to.

In whole, these changes would take an hour or less of time to implement. That one hour would provide hundreds or thousands of more enjoyable player hours for all the testers on the PVE realm. Go for it!

Chupon

I agree to the above post too. New items in play would make it a lot more fun, i remember when there was scavenger hunts, that was a lot of fun and encouraged people to move around and search areas they wouldnt normally go to. And yes please teleports again :)

Gardner Denver

Quote from: schwagg on Jan 28, 2010, 04:49 PM
6. Just glance over the biggest annoyance shops and make it more likely for items like scrolls to spawn! It's ridiculous for people on a non pvp realm to be level 50 or higher and still not have zeal or serenity or song of battle.

I'd like to make sure that this is actually a regen problem and not someone being an asshat and buying them out everytime they regen just to keep someone else from getting them as has happened here in the past.

I'll discuss doubling up the limiteds with Vitoc after we are done smoke testing on Saturday.

The rest of the content changes... well I'll bring them up but with no native editor yet for GMUD content I wouldn't hold my breath on much extra content changes right yet.

schwagg

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Jan 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'd like to make sure that this is actually a regen problem and not someone being an asshat and buying them out everytime they regen just to keep someone else from getting them as has happened here in the past.

I'll discuss doubling up the limiteds with Vitoc after we are done smoke testing on Saturday.

The rest of the content changes... well I'll bring them up but with no native editor yet for GMUD content I wouldn't hold my breath on much extra content changes right yet.

I was under the impression Nightmare is being used for content changes. Nothing I've listed requires anything beyond Nightmare and the proper files. If it's a time issue, I'd be willing to volunteer some time to get it done.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: schwagg on Jan 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
I was under the impression Nightmare is being used for content changes. Nothing I've listed requires anything beyond Nightmare and the proper files. If it's a time issue, I'd be willing to volunteer some time to get it done.

I'll talk to V tomorrow and get back with you.

SluTFisHy

Personally, being from the pvp realm I think giving PVE double, triple limited is a good idea.

But i think anything beyond that, especially anything that changes the overall gameplay (like halving boss regen, giving people unlimited chances at zanthus) should be avoided. As in a lot of fun in the game does come from PVP and PVE competitions :) Especially through the forums..

Everyone in PVP is gonna bitch if you guys get unlimited wacks at the Lich. ;)
Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

Gardner Denver

The dats for both realms have already been converted and setup, so major content changes are a no go for right now unfortunately.

However we are willing to do something along these lines:

After everything is up and running smoothly, and we finish the engine update that we're working on right now, we can add a setting in the configuration file to multiply limiteds.  There are a number of advantages to sysops doing it this way.  Once you set your content, you don't have to edit it to bump up or down the baseline, simply change this setting.  So tiger-claw necklace would always be 5 max in the item master file, but you could set the multiplyer to 2 and you'd have 10, 3 you'd have 15, ect...

It will allow you to dynamically scale your realms limited items as needed without having to edit.  Just change the config and restart your system.

Excarkun

They going to already bitch if they go after Lich, Oz with players armed with 3 nexus spears, 2 copper woodstaffs, 2 or 4 ruby encrusted bracers.. come on just imagined advantages they already will get. But If you can change the Lich option in PVE then I say just do that also for PVP  and that All I'll like see changed in pvp.

schwagg

Quote from: SluTFisHy on Jan 29, 2010, 12:49 PM
Personally, being from the pvp realm I think giving PVE double, triple limited is a good idea.

But i think anything beyond that, especially anything that changes the overall gameplay (like halving boss regen, giving people unlimited chances at zanthus) should be avoided. As in a lot of fun in the game does come from PVP and PVE competitions :) Especially through the forums..

I never said anything about halving boss regen. At all.

The only other "overall gameplay" changes would be adding a little exp to the hardest monsters in the game to make them worth going for. In case you didnt notice, last reset the top player on the PVE realm, me,  was level 78. This is vastly higher than anyone came even close to on the PVP realm. Being able to attain these kinds of levels in just 3 to 4 months means that current content is rapidly outpaced.

It's just a recipe for angst between the players on the PVE realm to have the top players be forced into specific spots for 25 levels or more while the lowers are itching to move up too. Same goes for limiteds. How encouraged would you be to play on a non pvp realm if you started late and realized that most of the top players spend the super-majority of their time afk and wearing all your best possible gear? And that you would likely never have a chance at some/most/any of the good items? Let alone a beta realm where you're almost guaranteed to have crashes, lag, annoying bugs and more?

If you're one of those people still stuck on "legit-only majormud", it's time to stop living in the past.  It's really hard for me to believe that a lot of the community still feels somehow "bound" or "loyal" to Metropolis's version of Majormud. Metro's gone. Minor changes that can provide a vast improvement in player interest and enjoyment shouldn't be so hastily overlooked. Editing can be done subtly, and with balance in mind, regardless of how many idiots set up terribly edited boards on a regular basis.

Quote from: SluTFisHy on Jan 29, 2010, 12:49 PM
As in a lot of fun in the game does come from PVP and PVE competitions :) Especially through the forums..

The PVE realm took the "competition" so seriously that we never bothered to cap the 5 or 6 oz kills, rounding Dark Mage, Rounding Colossal Midnight, and beyond. I think only 1 of us cared to cap our Zanthus kill, and that wasn't even a full cap. The fun on the PVE realm comes from the competition from the super-old schoolers. At least for me.

As for the Lich, I'm not quite sure you understand. If I were the one to alter the blocks, I'd make Zanthus worth 1 exp and deliver 250 million exp each for the kill that flags you. After that, enjoy your 1 exp. Not quite sure how this is bitchworthy in any capacity.

Quote from: Excarkun on Jan 29, 2010, 01:01 PM
They going to already bitch if they go after Lich, Oz with players armed with 3 nexus spears, 2 copper woodstaffs, 2 or 4 ruby encrusted bracers.. come on just imagined advantages they already will get. But If you can change the Lich option in PVE then I say just do that also for PVP  and that All I'll like see changed in pvp.

It has nothing to do with advantages. It has more to do with a huge pool of players being completely denied access to goodies in a realm where you can't take them away from someone else by robbing dp, ganghouse, or killing them. Use your melon. It's not "PVE vs PVP". It's about player retention, too. They're two completely different game styles and should be treated as such. Seperately. If you're convinced it's possible to piss in everyone's wheaties on the PVE realm because of altered limited item totals, then come make characters and show us.

@Gard: I like the idea of a simple multiplier built in. I do have to ask, though, is it really neccesary? Seems to be a bit in conflict with the plans for the native editor.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: schwagg on Jan 29, 2010, 02:58 PM

@Gard: I like the idea of a simple multiplier built in. I do have to ask, though, is it really neccesary? Seems to be a bit in conflict with the plans for the native editor.

It doesn't conflict with the ability of a native editor and its actually something we've talked about doing a while ago.

Darmius

Post a database.  I'm sure someone would create and editor... but how to test it.

schwagg

I guess it just seemed odd to me to put a field in for a limited multiplier on the server configuration when the the definition of an item/monster as limited is done in the dats,  and the editor would do the same thing anyways. Since the dats are only as consistant as their sources, some might already have limited mulitpliers applied to them, which would result in cursing sysops with a lot more limiteds than they wanted when they typed the number in.

However, I'm sure a sysop with zero editing experience would be happy to be able to just type in a number for a simplistic change like that.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: schwagg on Jan 29, 2010, 02:58 PM
I like the idea of a simple multiplier built in. I do have to ask, though, is it really neccesary? Seems to be a bit in conflict with the plans for the native editor.

It's something we may look at again once the native editor is done.  I do think it's a good idea though as it will allow you to scale up or down as needed by only changing a single setting in your configuration vs sweeping changes to your content even if those changes can be done via a function in the editor.