Changes In Current Content

Started by DeathCow, Feb 17, 2010, 07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathCow

I've long felt that many items in the game have lost some of their luster over time.  As such I'd like to start a conversation about these items a discuss changes that could be made to them, or other aspects of the game, to make them more useful.

Items In the Black Fort.

I feel that many of these items have become somewhat overlooked.  With one exception, the golden chalice.

The hell-flail could easily be made into an excellent item by making it 1-handed like the black flail.
The katana would be a much more useful item with some kind of hit-magic, maybe even increases acc or crits
The thunderstaff might be more useful by removing the class restriction, and maybe increasing its damage slightly.
The skullsword made a little faster, 1550?

The massive chest could use an upgrade as well, I really wouldnt be opposed to adding limited items to the chest, slightly upgraded version of the current items..that will give out the normal items if already in the game.

In exchange for the upgrade on the items, making the area slightly more difficult with higher exp rewards may aalso make the area a decent scripting spot again.

The serpent scourge should really be 1handed and some what faster.

The cat-o-nine tails has always bothered me, if it was upgraded the boss could be made a bit tougher and worth spending the time to kill.

What are people's feelings on the 5th quest reward items..I personally feel like they suck balls for the most part.

interchange

The katana is already an excellent weapon for low levels.  The drop % on it, however, is ridiculous.

Rorik

Quote from: DeathCow on Feb 17, 2010, 07:24 AM
The hell-flail could easily be made into an excellent item by making it 1-handed like the black flail.
The katana would be a much more useful item with some kind of hit-magic, maybe even increases acc or crits
The thunderstaff might be more useful by removing the class restriction, and maybe increasing its damage slightly.
The skullsword made a little faster, 1550?

The massive chest could use an upgrade as well, I really wouldnt be opposed to adding limited items to the chest, slightly upgraded version of the current items..that will give out the normal items if already in the game.

The serpent scourge should really be 1handed and some what faster.

The cat-o-nine tails has always bothered me, if it was upgraded the boss could be made a bit tougher and worth spending the time to kill.

What are people's feelings on the 5th quest reward items..I personally feel like they suck balls for the most part.

I like the idea of upgrading them.  The katana's already great for lower level characters (especially Witchies)with the decent damage range, quick speed and +crits/acc, but I've felt the thunderstaff and especially hell-flail were both underutilized.  The skull sword's pretty good as is, I think.. but I don't think making it a bit quicker would unbalance it a great deal. 

For the hell-flail, I think making it 1h, 10-21 damage and a touch slower than the black flail while removing the -acc would be a good place to start.  It's never a bad idea to add more decent blunt weapons at lower levels.. though I'm a big Cleric fan, so I may be biased.

As for the thunderstaff I could see juicing up the damage to 7-16, keeping the acc/AC bonus, removing the class restriction (maybe just to Mage/Mystic/Priest/Druid?)  and possibly adding a random 1 or 2 round stun, like the heavy bone mace used to have.. or maybe it still does?  Haven't used that weapon in ages.  I think that's another underutilized item that could use some attention, too.

I also think those are both good ideas for the scourge and cat-o-nine tails.  It'd be nice to have a few different weapons to play with in the lower levels.  Also, would it be a bad idea to move the twin shortswords from LC (I think they're there.. or maybe Putakwa?) to somewhere more accessible for the damage they do?  I don't know a lot of Thieves who would use a weapon like that at the range you need to be to get to LC.  Maybe put it in Rhudar or Dreary Village?  Or maybe the neko Village?
If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is a man who has so much as to be out of danger?

Darmius

I was thinking about this the other day.  How can accurately compare weapons against other weapons of a similar level.

I was using a rough weighted calculation.  Similar to what WoW does with iLvl on weapons.  I'm not sure if this would be the best way, but it would provide an easy to look at "at a glance" weapon comparison.

The formula:
value = [(stat * statMod)power + (stat * statMod)power .... ]inverse of Power

Only using simple to fetch values from the Items table (none of the Abil-0 Abil-1 look ups)
Since we can't use negative values all possible negatives have to be padded, so speed is 5000 - weapon speed, accy is 30 - weapon accy.
This does not take into account swings per round or qnd values.

Default values are: (these need to be balanced a lot better)

Stat Cost pwr 1.709511291
MinDmg 2 invPwr 0.584962501
Max Dmg 1 SPD 5000
Speed 1.00 ACC 30
AC 1
DR 1
Accy 0.7

Results for some 1H Sharp

45.90 adamantite katana
45.79 Magebane sword
43.60 skull sword
42.54 mithril cutlass
41.68 katana
40.93 golden broadsword
37.47 golden sickle
35.01 ninjato
33.02 longsword
33.38 broadsword
33.90 fine broadsword
33.99 bloodstained shortsword
32.44 shuriken
31.47 shortsword
29.78 dagger
30.07 knife
30.37 black scimitar

When comparing dmg, spd and accy weapons are scaling correctly.

When creating new weapons these values could be used to set limits on weapons.
For example, using 1H Sharp weapons with a lvl req of 0.

The avg value of weapons is ~34.
The std deviation is ~3
So any weapon with a lvl of > 37 should be a lim, the higher the value the more limited the weapon is.

DeathCow

I'm in complete agreement on the twin shortswords.  Maybe instead of moving them they could be added to the aldar chest/massive chest.

In the case of the katana, I feel like i normally see players using common alternatives such as the Magebane.

Oh the flametongue is rather weak If i recall correctly. I was thinking like 6-19, over 4-18.

Thergin

I would like to choose 5th quest weapon rather then it be random, its epic in scale of getting it. I dont mind if they are slightly underpowered since they are loyal, how about making them very light so its easy to carry around in backpack for non Hog's

DeathCow

I'm sure not exactly how that would work in MMUD, I mean I can think of a few ways, but it would be kinda bizzare and I'd think it would feel out of place.

BTW gard, the Arcane Magic theme's quick reply box is light grey print ontop of white.  It ain't special at all :P

The regular edit messgae/reply is fine however, light grey on ?charcoal?.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Thergin on Feb 18, 2010, 12:30 AM
I would like to choose 5th quest weapon rather then it be random, its epic in scale of getting it. I dont mind if they are slightly underpowered since they are loyal, how about making them very light so its easy to carry around in backpack for non Hog's

If you give everyone the choice, we'd see nothing but pdbs, hwarfs, ect in the realm.  Perhaps a better alternative would be to make the other 5th quest rewards not suck.  The Saphire Chakram for instance is a total piece of crap weapon, the only perk to it was it used to give +150 hps which was nice for a warrior until Metro fixed it.

Quote from: DeathCow on Feb 18, 2010, 04:21 AM
BTW gard, the Arcane Magic theme's quick reply box is light grey print ontop of white.  It ain't special at all :P
The regular edit messgae/reply is fine however, light grey on ?charcoal?.

Told ya so :P

I'll see if I can tweek the colors some more later today.  I switched back to the LCARS theme myself ;)

DeathCow

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Feb 18, 2010, 08:41 AM
If you give everyone the choice, we'd see nothing but pdbs, hwarfs, ect in the realm.  Perhaps a better alternative would be to make the other 5th quest rewards not suck.  The Saphire Chakram for instance is a total piece of crap weapon, the only perk to it was it used to give +150 hps which was nice for a warrior until Metro fixed it.

Told ya so :P

I'll see if I can tweek the colors some more later today.  I switched back to the LCARS theme myself ;)

I totally agree, each weapon should have some kind of advantage.  150 Hps is huge!  But for the trial one goes through to get the 5th quest items I think its appropriate.

kalus

90% of the items in this game suck balls. They were good once, but bigger and better stuff was put in that just made them worthless.

The skull sword is decent, it was upgraded once along the way, and mag-3 makes it a nice weapon  (even into the high 30's) if you have lots of str and +max damage.

SluTFisHy

I definately agree with the 5th quest weapons. I definately know the warlock quest weapons are hands down, shit.

I think the flametongue damage is good, maybe just raise minimum dmg to like 5-18 and flame dmg from 1-3 to 1-4

when compared to the mithril cutlass, which is 8-18 dmg. Its about fair.
Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

DeathCow