Every Class Plays a Role

Started by SoWN, Feb 05, 2006, 01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoWN

I think we all agree that one of the downfalls with MajorMUD was the uselessness of several classes.   I guess theres a certain fun factor in playing a thief or a gypsy .. but they're never really needed.  I would like to see a lot of reasons to be playing every class. 

For example, some areas of the realm might be totally inaccessible without a very skilled lockpicker (thief). 

Or, lets say that in order to complete the 4th alignment quest there are components that can only be obtained through a highly skilled gypsy.

I used to play World of Warcraft until about a month ago.  Realized it was eating away my life so I sold my druid for $630.  One of the great things about WoW was the idea of class roles in killing bosses.  To a certain extent,  every class was needed.  Warlocks were useful for their ability to banish elementals.  Druids could sleep dragons and heal. 

I know from playing with DeathCow that he was completely aware of the class imbalances .. especially warriors / paladins / priests.  Im pretty confident you guys will come up with a good way to balance all the classes.

Valentine

I think this is where specialized areas/quests come into play...that might be what you have referred to...it's early. Reading is hard.

Not only quests just for certain classes, but quests that require a certain combination of classes to be successful.

I have more on this...but...too much effort.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

The Crazy Animal

I think this is something that is on all of our minds. Personally I believe any of the quests or areas that help make a class useful need to be optional. It isn?t really fair to require a player to find a person of a class to be able to complete a main quest or get through an area required by a main quest. Since we all want the game to be playable by any size realm it just wouldn?t be fair to players to say hey well you don?t have a thief in the game so you can?t do the next major power quest.

However, I think the prestige system will help a little with this problem. Secondly remembering to build in a good amount of class specific side quests will help a lot. The main thing I?ve been pushing for is creating new ways to make individual classes abilities have better implementation into the core game.

TCA

Valentine

It's not a problem as long as there's an awesome quest for every class...the problem comes about when you have half a dozen great quests for classes of faith, half a dozen quests for the bashers, and nothing for anyone else.

It's just like any other facet of each class...it must be balanced within the class and within the grand scheme.

I'm starting to hate the word "balance".
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles