Release of GMUD

Started by banjaxster, Aug 13, 2010, 06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjaxster

I was wondering if there ever is going to be a release of GMUD,I know i have been waiting it seams like forever for it.
I know it takes time to get the bugs out,but any idea?
Have you decided to not release it?Originally you were going to sell it for $50....
CedarValley BBS online since 10-01-1998 non pvp
CedarNet BBS online since 10-24-2005 non PVP

The Crazy Animal

There's just still a lot of bugs to work out. I don't think V's changed his mind though and I'm sure V could give you a better answer.

Vitoc

Quote from: banjaxster on Aug 13, 2010, 06:59 AM
I was wondering if there ever is going to be a release of GMUD,I know i have been waiting it seams like forever for it.
I know it takes time to get the bugs out,but any idea?
Have you decided to not release it?Originally you were going to sell it for $50....
I added a new anti-spam and ignore system this last weekend.  I hope to work on combat and gang shops this next weekend.  We're close to having all major functionality completed and at that point we will go v0.9.  Then it's one big bug push before v1.0.

After all these years, I'm more anxious for v1.0 than anyone.

As far as the price point, it's one of those things.  I know it's a shit economy and people are hurting (it hasn't been easy in our house either). I also know $50 for a fast stable telnet server and game engine with this kind of development time invested into the game engine is on the low side.  This is further complicated by the issue of support.  I can't possibly offer any personalized support and the product for a one-time $50 price.  We'll have support forums, FAQs, and tutorials coupled with the purchase of a copy, but man... $50?  I know I threw that price out there, and we might still offer some fully functional "barebones" version for that price and have bonus functionality/features/support in premium level versions.  Custom development will also likely be available for a reasonable hourly price.

I'll expand on this more as we get closer to v1.0.

Thergin

Meat Pies used to be 50 cents. Dam I love the pie.

kalus

When you buy a game engine, you get the source right?

Thergin

sauce is always extra

Prescience

I assume that I can expect a check in the mail for the countless hours I have spent script/beta testing both the pvp/non-pvp realms?

At $5.15/hr (min wage back in the day) * 2000 hours online * 3 characters (2 non-pvp, 1 pvp) hours online

I think I'm owed $30,000 so far.

PM me and we can discuss delivery options :)

~Cornellian

RPenton

How about this for an idea:

Vitoc is short on cash, as posted elsewhere. Why not start selling it before it hits 1.0, for a quick infusion of cash that will allow development to continue?

The Crazy Animal

It's a difficult situation to be situated in to want or need to sell off an unfinished product. This is kind of like his baby (of a project). You kind of have to keep that in mind.

Vitoc

I'm still relatively young, and I'm thankful for what I have, but is there ever a time when I get to sit and relax and enjoy my hobbies?   I work my ass off all week long, my weekends come and go.  I want nothing more than to work on GMUD fulltime and deliver a decent product and show the community I care, but work and life and keeping food on the table and a roof over my head keep interfering.  When does it get easy? :(

I want to work on GreaterMUD.

twogirlz

I feel for you, maybe you should find someone trusted who is willing to help with the project