Bringing Greatermud back to life?

Started by interchange, Mar 25, 2011, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

interchange

So, the original intent of this project was to make a new realm with original content and extensibility to new mechanics. Later, this morphed into making a Majormud clone first, then moving on to bigger and better things.

Essentially, the second goal has been met.  I know there are a lot of things that are not 100% correct, but basically this has been done.

I also know that greatermud lacks a native content editor, and it is a PITA to work through nightmare to update this end of things.

My question is this: what is the best step to move this project forward?  Is it creating a content editor natively for greatermud? Or is there more to it?

Vitoc

Content seems like a logical step.

We're kind of in a weird position there, though.  Metro's content is not our content.  It's the only thing we really need from them.  I've taken steps to try and purchase the rights to only the content at various times, but other people complicate things and (whether they intended to or not) undermine my efforts when they start making outrageous offers on the codebase and content.

I wouldn't feel right building on top of their content without their permission.  At this point, if we were to finish the engine and start distributing copies, it wouldn't include Metro's content.  Anyone can easily obtain copies of it from other sources.

I don't know what else to do. :(

interchange

What's the barrier to 100% original content, provided you had efficient tools at implementing it.  I know it's a LOT of work, but is there enough interest in creating it in the community?

Vitoc

Based on how it went with DC's content, I don't think they'd be very receptive to completely new content.

In WCC/Metro's content, everyone here knows all the scripting spots, all the spells, all the mobs/bosses, all the steps to all the quests, when and where to get what armour and weapons, etc.  I'd say that's a big part of why we still have the MajorMUD crowd still hanging around.  Run Mega 24/7, come back to the keys for leveling, perhaps some purchases or a quick quest, then back to scripting.  Other than the edited realms, nobody has bothered to learn new content in how long now?  A decade?  Aside from actually creating the content, think about the work that has to go into figuring out new areas, new quests, etc. and then getting Mega up to speed with new paths, loops, item/spell/mob data, etc.  If we were to create brand new content, do we supply people with the stats and data, or make them figure it out the hard way?  I think most people don't want to have to learn an entirely new set of content and many would probably quit out of frustration.  I think most would be interested if we just added on, but it's not really our content to add on to.

Any ideas?

kalus

Agree that the old content has to stay. The content, more than the engine, is what makes mmud what it is. I feel that upgrading the engine and game mechanics, while keeping most of the old content would be the way to go. I'm sure there are hundreds of posts in these forums on how to do this.

Just to start

1. Character customisation - This is very weak in mmud and in a text based RPG this has to be one of the strong points. There needs to be really complex spell/skill trees, a shit tonne more items, religions, professions, crafting, etc, etc
2. Balance - Any character should be able to beat any other character in PVP. Rounding someone in PVP should never happen.  All chars should have equally important roles on a boss run. Boss fights should be epic and last for hundreds of rounds requiring skill, teamwork and coordination to win.
3. Quests and more quests. You should be able to get to max level from quests alone, with zero scripting.
4. End game content. Once you are at max level, the game really starts up with super hard 'raid' type areas and items.

y2duhh

Wow you just turned gm into wow good job!

Here's an idea vitoc, we already have a storyline from the first - fifth quests and its reasonably solid and it ends, u kill the dark one its over. How about u make a new starting area and whole new story line, maybe on the otherside of the desert a whole new low level area that branches out into a whole new story so players can move back and forth and you can develop your own content and in a way its completely seperate from the original.

kalus

Quote from: y2duhh on Mar 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Wow you just turned gm into a modern mmorpg good job!

Fixed it for you

pentagruel

New story line is fine, introduce it on a no script or no afk board(on a no-afk board, you can use megamud, but must be at keys).  People will learn it in not too long.  Old school players know how to play in a new environment, and the noobs need to learn.

y2duhh

No way it needs ot built for the afk/scripter in mind thas who is keeping this game alive

Jigga

I think the last thing anyone needs to worry about is Metro having a problem with anyone building on top of their data w/o their permission.

Using their data as it is now is worse than adding on. There's no one left at that place that give 1% of a shit about MUD I don't think.

But yeah, GMUD does need a nice fire lit under it's ass. Things have sort of come to a stale point. I definately think some new stuff needs to be added on. The original content definately stays, it's what makes the game what it is, people wouldn't play a totally different game.

I think to start off, even if a few small mini-areas were added, at least new places to script, that would be cool. A couple places for all different level ranges.

While I'm completely opposed to any sort of open-source, I do think GMUD should be open to third-party addons. If someone feels like making a new area, go ahead and do so, and then send it in. If Vitoc likes it, and of course maybe wants to tweak it, it's that much less work that he needs to do.
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

PTERY

Quote from: Vitoc on Mar 27, 2011, 04:51 PMAny ideas?
They haven't cared about people stealing/modifying their content in 10 years. There is no reason to believe they will care at any point in the future.

In the highly unlikely event that you turn a large enough profit that they notice, just sell your telnet server and new content as add-ons. Let people dig up the stock Metro stuff on their own. I don't think there are any laws prohibiting you from selling add-ons.

Even if you somehow got every current user to pay you $100, that would still only add up to what, $10,000? It would cost $3,000 just to get a lawyer to draft a letter. It's not happening.

In terms of putting some life back into GMud, I do think you need to start making some money from it. And if users are going to pay you, there needs to be regular updates and new content. I know your idea is to sell the server and let people host their own boards, but I think it would be more profitable (and  better for the community) if you hosted the GMud server and game(s) and charged people a subscription to play. That way everyone is coming to the same place and it sort of centralizes the user base, the money and the development. I'm sure everyone here would be happy to pay a few bucks a month in subscription fees to see new areas/rooms/items/bosses/anything on a semi-regular basis. There is no way to do this without using the original mmud content, but I'm sure you could rig it somehow to make it legal, i.e. host a free majormud game but charge users to access the add-ons via the subscription fees. The worst case scenario is that Metro asks you to take it down.

Thesifer

Metropolis as a whole as far as I know, doesn't even exist anymore.  Sure a company still has the code sitting on a server / HD somewhere (or they lost it by now). 

But I don't see them coming after anyone - from what it looks like they hardly enough know it exists anymore.

I think at one point they had delusions of grandeur and thought they could sell the content / source to a company that would make a graphical MMO out of it.  But that was years ago. 

If they haven't even tried a Cease and Desist for the current "GreaterMUD" they won't care if it has the real content when 'released' or not. 

Gardner Denver

There is a large difference between sticking up a free bbs with Metroware on it and selling something that includes Metroware.  Metro doesn't go after the pirates because there is no money in it for them.  Nobody is buying Majormud anymore.

Selling something that contains their IP (the content) is a whole different thing.  I suspect they would have something to say about that.

Thesifer

Right, but that's assuming you sell it with the content.  You can build it to use the content.  And sell the modules separating if you're worried.  I don't think they will have a problem with it, because I don't think there's a single person there that would even know that its happening.  But regardless of that - sell it to use the MMud content, but have add-on database content for the new stuff.  Doesn't seem like that should be much of an issue.

A product that isn't built to use MMud content will die off quickly though.  No one wants a "New Game Based on MMud"  They want a MMud Game with further development.

Course the likelihood of "making money" on GreaterMUD is slim to none.

y2duhh

Player subscriptions are not going to work for mud, I would not pay even 1 dollar a month however here are some ideas to make revenue.

- this one could happen right now and would bring in some income
Player hosted realms:
Let playes pay a monthly fee to host their own realms allowing them to op it and give access to whoever they see fit, I could see a handful of players running their own realms at 20 or so a month.

- buyable loyal and non loyal items - many realms have made a lil extra for gjrs, maybe a low level loyal mag 3 weapon would bring in some cash