Bringing Greatermud back to life?

Started by interchange, Mar 25, 2011, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twogirlz

I'm sure there would be a few ways to give people incentive to pay for gmud, the underlying issue is that it really needs to get to version 1, i like the idea of an in game shop where you can use a type of currency (purchased with real money or obtained from killing very difficult bosses) that can be to buy special items available at a special item shop, it shouldnt be majorly imbalancing but an incentive to a certain extent, and you can have realms that do no provide the option to purchase these items (free realm). If the realm was given a guaranteed 12 months - 24 months up time im sure people would invest something.  Commercialization should be tested to determine viability, after all developers should be compensated in some way.

Thesifer

AFAIK, Vitoc is vehemently opposed to any "Pass for Bonuses" setup.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Lanzino on Mar 30, 2011, 11:47 PM
AFAIK, Vitoc is vehemently opposed to any "Pass for Bonuses" setup.

If you mean pay for bonuses then he would not be the only one that dislikes that idea.

Thesifer

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Mar 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
If you mean pay for bonuses then he would not be the only one that dislikes that idea.

Err yeah..  Brain is shut off today.  PAY it is.  

Was just mentioning it to them. Cause they don't seem to know.  

Although selling the Engine isn't going to make money either.  So not sure what route he plans on taking.  I can't see many people willing to pay more than $50 for GMud.  And that price is cutting it pretty close.

twogirlz

I am too but history tells that applications rarely survive if they are closed source with no business proposition, or they are open source without a proper development lifecycle. Open Source projects (such as linux distros) where the are proper commit processes and authorized contributers are about the the only ways you can make a project continue.

Thergin

I agree with Ptery, on having a centralized place to play, I dont mind playing from Australia and having a latency disadvantage its fun being the underdog and winning.

I would suggest running non for profit, so just cover the server costs, and upgrades, and vitocs time can be incuded in this as well. Charging people for bandwidth and running costs, not content.

If vitoc has a copy of majormud legit I wouldnt see an issue with running his own server istead of worldgroup etc.

I would bring some form of indulgence back, so if you donate you can log in 24/7 if you play for free you get 22/7 or something.

The reason I am not playing now is I dont want to invest anymore time into something that will be reset and reset over and over, I dont mind helping beta test, but we really need version 1, or go live with what we have.

Thergin