Lag

Started by Positivism, Aug 08, 2011, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Positivism

Positivism

To the Lag fixer:

You rock!

Crabster

so when is the lag going to get fixed? and it is true that some arseholes are spamming something until the lag starts just to be douchebags?

Teferi

mine diamonds

Positivism

So its a DOS attack on a .. mud?

talk about a high profile target!

Crabster

whatever it is it has rendered the realms unplayable and useless....

Vitoc

It is a DOS attack, the genius doing it admitted not just guilt but what specifically they were doing on a public channel, their IP has been logged, it has been reported to their ISP, and they are going through their logs for that IP on port 23.  In the meantime I'm going to consult with my company's lawyer this afternoon for some free legal advice regarding potential legal action.

Hey, here's a helpful hint for any up and coming wannabe hackers.  You might not want to admit what you're doing and why you're doing it on a public channel unless you're behind a proxy or making some sort of effort to disguise your identity.  Too late for this n00b obviously, but there ya go.

I will be restarting the realm when I get home.  Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Crabster

i assume u banned the ips associated with it?

Thesifer

"Hack" attack on a persons 'private' server at home, I bet the guy gets a $100 fine.. If that, or the case isn't even taken up by anyone.  It's POSSIBLE his ISP drops him, but also possible they just issue a warning, like they do for illegal pirates 3000 times before they do anything. Just my thought.  Might be able to sue them in small claims court though.  Maybe.

Thesifer

Of course that's assuming they find any evidence after checking into White's Connections, which I doubt they do.  But nice to see people waste money on trivial stuff!

Vitoc

Quote from: Lanzino on Aug 10, 2011, 04:04 PM
Of course that's assuming they find any evidence after checking into White's Connections, which I doubt they do.  But nice to see people waste money on trivial stuff!
Who's wasting money?  ???

Thesifer

It costs money to have an ISP "look" into things, when you should be able to if a  "DDoS" attack was happening on your Server, which I have a strong feeling it wasn't. And even talking to your "Free Legal Counsel" at work, costs someone money.  Even if it isn't you.   If they were doing something that 'intentionally causes lag' in a game (which I doubt someone was, but that's more plausible) that isn't illegal.  Although you do have the right to kick them off of your server permanently if that's the case, or really even if you suspect that's the case.  But you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. 

Vitoc

Quote from: Lanzino on Aug 10, 2011, 05:08 PM
It costs money to have an ISP "look" into things, when you should be able to if a  "DDoS" attack was happening on your Server, which I have a strong feeling it wasn't. And even talking to your "Free Legal Counsel" at work, costs someone money.  Even if it isn't you.   If they were doing something that 'intentionally causes lag' in a game (which I doubt someone was, but that's more plausible) that isn't illegal.  Although you do have the right to kick them off of your server permanently if that's the case, or really even if you suspect that's the case.  But you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. 
Do you know what a Denial of Service attack is?

Per Wiki:
QuoteA denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of person or persons to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely.

That is exactly what is happening here.  How can you try and argue that?  Btw, you'll notice I never said it was a DDOS attack.  Get your facts straight Jack.

Finally... do you really feel the need to stick around and try and find fault with everything I say or do with GreaterMUD?  Go do something productive.

Positivism

Finally... do you really feel the need to stick around and try and find fault with everything I say or do with GreaterMUD?  Go do something productive.

+1