Lag

Started by Positivism, Aug 08, 2011, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Quote from: Vitoc on Aug 10, 2011, 06:49 PM
Do you know what a Denial of Service attack is?

Per Wiki:
That is exactly what is happening here.  How can you try and argue that?  Btw, you'll notice I never said it was a DDOS attack.  Get your facts straight Jack.

Finally... do you really feel the need to stick around and try and find fault with everything I say or do with GreaterMUD?  Go do something productive.

Book'em Dano!

But seriously, enforce everything at your measures to fuck this guy up.  If you need a thumb or two broken, look me up!  :)

Thesifer

Oh, I am plenty productive.  But since my work involves sitting in front of a computer, I come check out what the newest bullshit is around here.  Please tell me the outcome with your little crusade against the "DoS" attacker, I'd be interested in hearing it.  And extremely surprised if anything happened.  I'm actually surprised to see you around, looks like this supposed DoS has at least got you semi-active again with your own project.  That's nice to see.

twogirlz

Most half decent firewalls have decent dos prevention, ddos is a different matter, but ddos is also much harder to initiate, unless you are an IRC monkey with heapz of wormz and malwarez

Thesifer

As far as I can tell the "DoS" claim is being made because someone may have found a bug that caused lag and intentionally used it.  A rather far stretch from a legal standpoint on a Beta Test Realm.

Vitoc

Quote from: Lanzino on Aug 11, 2011, 12:34 PM
As far as I can tell the "DoS" claim is being made because someone may have found a bug that caused lag and intentionally used it.  A rather far stretch from a legal standpoint on a Beta Test Realm.
As far as I can tell you're still not being productive...

From Wiki:
QuoteDenial-of-service attacks are considered violations of the IAB's Internet proper use policy, and also violate the acceptable use policies of virtually all Internet service providers. They also commonly constitute violations of the laws of individual nations.
QuoteIn the Police and Justice Act 2006, the United Kingdom specifically outlawed denial-of-service attacks and set a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.[47]

In the US, there can be a serious federal crime under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act with penalties that include years of imprisonment.

Legal action aside, a GMUD player with ISP connections offered to help last night.  The matter is being taken care of.  Many thanks to that person. ;)

Thesifer

You are a genius.  And correct.  When I come here, I'm taking a break and not being productive.  But if you think that your last little wikipedia clip helps your case, that's funny.  But by all means, waste as much time as you wish prosecuting a case that will get thrown out of court.