Doing away with character cps in the current form. Something to ponder.

Started by Gardner Denver, Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torque

As far as 25% hp regen increase, that's a whopping 6 hit points a tick... at level 45 with 100 health. I like 50 better! I actually like 100% the most, but no one wants to see the math on that.

I have a good feeling that these propositions will breathe some at least temporary life into the "whats going on with greatermud?" stigma. Get some more testers and what not. I'm so down.

Zetetic

Quote from: Torque on Sep 04, 2012, 02:51 PM
As far as 25% hp regen increase, that's a whopping 6 hit points a tick... at level 45 with 100 health. I like 50 better! I actually like 100% the most, but no one wants to see the math on that.

If we are increasing HP regen from resting, I think we also have to increase mana regen while meditating. What do you think about the consequences of doing that?

I want to be really careful in increasing HP regen, as it gives a greater bonus to high HP races, and they already have enough plus sides. Would we be better off increasing the base HP regen rather than the total HP regen? That way all races and classes have an improvement in HP regen more or less equally. If anyone knows the HP (and mana) regen formula it would be nice to have it here so that we could more closely examine what it is based on and what making this change would do?

Torque

I don't know what the difference is. Base HP regen vs total HP regen? The outcome is the same isn't it? As in, Total HP Regen includes base regen + whatever else. Help me understand what yo umean

What about a quicker HP regen tick? I'm drunk so these numbers are arbitrary. Instead of 30 seconds every tick, it's 20 seconds. Same numbers you get for resting, it just happens faster, and only for resting.

As far as mana, I think if you increase mgen you'll get more tanky casters -- like hogs, and that doesn't make sense. However, it would if spellcasting had an effect on damage, or spells were more difficult to cast than they are... I don't think we would need to adjust mgen with hp regen.

I've heard the idea before that blesses just reduce your max mana and are more or less a 'toggle'. I'm so down for that approach too. A not so transitive property in my mind is that if you want to increase mana regen for better scripting and what not, you could reduce Mana Points. Mana should be more precious I think. Digressing!

Torque

Side note: reducing crits multiplier from x4 to x3 would make spellcasters stronger... and in turn make witchunters less useless. +1 for crits reduction!

Vitoc

Loving the conversation.  It's motivating me to try and set aside more time for gmud development time.  ;)

Shaitan

Quote from: Torque on Sep 04, 2012, 10:12 PM
What about a quicker HP regen tick? I'm drunk so these numbers are arbitrary. Instead of 30 seconds every tick, it's 20 seconds. Same numbers you get for resting, it just happens faster, and only for resting.

I like faster regen ticks. I did something on Apathy Drive to speed up ticks without necessarily modifying rates. I factor the regen rate down, so for a monster like guards in silvermere that regen 10 hp every 30 seconds normally, I have them regen 1 hp every 3 seconds. A monster that heals 45 hp every 30 seconds will regen 3 hp every 2 seconds, etc.

Crabster

Quote from: Shaitan on Sep 05, 2012, 03:11 PM
I like faster regen ticks. I did something on Apathy Drive to speed up ticks without necessarily modifying rates. I factor the regen rate down, so for a monster like guards in silvermere that regen 10 hp every 30 seconds normally, I have them regen 1 hp every 3 seconds. A monster that heals 45 hp every 30 seconds will regen 3 hp every 2 seconds, etc.

interesting....i kinda like it as long as a few things happened...how does that affect the hp regen of bosses/mobs that regen full hps in 30 seconds regardless of where their percentage of hps are at the time??

Shaitan

Quote from: Crabster on Sep 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
interesting....i kinda like it as long as a few things happened...how does that affect the hp regen of bosses/mobs that regen full hps in 30 seconds regardless of where their percentage of hps are at the time??

Probably not favorably for the player. ;) Can you give me an example of a monster with that behavior?

Zetetic

I don't know what the difference is. Base HP regen vs total HP regen? The outcome is the same isn't it? As in, Total HP Regen includes base regen + whatever else. Help me understand what yo umean

What about a quicker HP regen tick?

If we increase only the base (say for instance just added 1 HP/tic per 3 levels when resting to everyone) then everyone gets the exact same bonus regardless of health stats. If we increase the total HP regen by a percentage then the high health races receive a higher bonus. They are already more powerful when scripting, we don't need to increase that disparity.

Increasing the rate of HP tics has the same problem, as well as changing the game fairly drastically. My advice is that this is a high workload for something that could be fixed in a more elegant fashion.

As far as mana, I think if you increase mgen you'll get more tanky casters -- like hogs, and that doesn't make sense. However, it would if spellcasting had an effect on damage, or spells were more difficult to cast than they are... I don't think we would need to adjust mgen with hp regen.

While increased HP does benefit casters as well, I think you underestimate just how much it will improve scripting for combat classes. That being said, with the changes I suggested casters are more powerful by comparison, so maybe this will balance out. Let's leave it with no mana regen boost, and see if that works out.

Zetetic

Quote from: Vitoc on Sep 05, 2012, 08:49 AM
Loving the conversation.  It's motivating me to try and set aside more time for gmud development time.  ;)

Music to our ears Vitoc. Are you willing to weigh in on what you think of the proposed ideas and how you think they will effect the game?

Hayden

So you want HP regen to be a CP modifiable stat? Otherwise your posting in the wrong thread.  Stick to the topic.

Respect my authority!

Crabster

Quote from: Shaitan on Sep 05, 2012, 05:21 PM
Probably not favorably for the player. ;) Can you give me an example of a monster with that behavior?

unholy idol??

Shaitan

Quote from: Crabster on Sep 05, 2012, 08:56 PM
unholy idol??

Looks like unholy idol has 900 hp, and regens 900 hp every 30 seconds. On my mud it'd regen 30 hp every second instead.

y2duhh

I absolutely hate the idea of making pvp last longer. What do most people do in PVP they hang and with Gardners current system of letting people just keeping items on their person they cant use and its not hoarding if they script all anyone has to do is hang and they can hoard lims all day long.  While I don't mind the idea of boss fights lasting longer I totally disagree with the pvp element.

Vile

Quote from: y2duhh on Sep 05, 2012, 10:38 PM
I absolutely hate the idea of making pvp last longer. What do most people do in PVP they hang and with Gardners current system of letting people just keeping items on their person they cant use and its not hoarding if they script all anyone has to do is hang and they can hoard lims all day long.  While I don't mind the idea of boss fights lasting longer I totally disagree with the pvp element.

So you are against longer, more skill based pvp because it makes it harder to kill people........ I think you need to go now.

There would be alot more pvp if pvp was more than just.... Engage - Win/Lose 50/50.

If hanging in pvp is the issue, that problem can be addressed separately.