Doing away with character cps in the current form. Something to ponder.

Started by Gardner Denver, Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Vile on Sep 05, 2012, 11:36 PM
Engage - Win/Lose 50/50.

This is exactly what I want to see go away.  Now in a 6v1 situation yeah it probably should go that way but in a 1v1 it should never go that way unless the winner is the full pvp limit higher in lvls than the victim and even then it should be iffy sometimes.

Torque

Quote from: Vile on Sep 05, 2012, 11:36 PM
I think you need to go now.
Aside from this unwarranted disparaging remark, I gotta agree with Vile. Hoarding/hang pens should be addressed in seperate issues.

Point: I may not agree with all of these changes, but we are in a test phase. Let's test some stuff out! We can ALWAYS revert to stock.

y2duhh

There is no such thing as longer PvP just more time to hang and that's the why it has always been.

Gardner Denver

Hanging was being addressed via the 2 item drop & hp loss settings.  Everybody loved it so long as it was happening to someone else but never when it was their items being dropped.  I think it should be expanded to the point where if you hang in pvp then for every 24 hours you are offline you lose more items and hps based on the current hang penalty setting. 

Most often heard excuse last push: "I was trying to arrange a rescue party"  If you can't arrange a rescue party in 20 days, 1:  You need better friends, 2: PvP probably isn't the right realm for you to play in anyhow.

As far as people holding items they can't use, go kill/rob them and relieve them of said items.  Problem solved.  It's unlikely that I will set any sort of policy against hoarding items in pvp as that goes against the whole idea behind a pvp realm.  Denying your enemy the use of an item is part of the fun.

Shaitan

If the goal is to prevent hanging from being a get out of unfavorable situation free card then why not just take it out of the equation entirely?

Rather than hp or item loss on hang, leave the character in the room for n seconds after hangup. Maybe double whatever it takes to 'quit' normally. If people want to be assured nothing bad will happen to them after they disconnect they can get somewhere safe and quit in the usual fashion.

y2duhh

you turned off xp tracking so all anyone has to do is hide out with gear and you dont strip them. we found one of youngs dupe hoarding all sorts of lims in the middle of grey tunnels but we were too low to hi him and then he hung and moved.  PvP is currently dead because most the titems are out and the ones who have it are hoarding them and hiding from any real pvp. you want people to go find them so they can hang and go hide somewhere else for weeks until u find them again, its a huge waste of time and part of the reason that no one is doing very much in pvp but sitting around waiting for another reset.

Vile

Quote from: Shaitan on Sep 06, 2012, 12:15 PM
If the goal is to prevent hanging from being a get out of unfavorable situation free card then why not just take it out of the equation entirely?

Rather than hp or item loss on hang, leave the character in the room for n seconds after hangup. Maybe double whatever it takes to 'quit' normally. If people want to be assured nothing bad will happen to them after they disconnect they can get somewhere safe and quit in the usual fashion.

I've always been pro this idea. It removes hanging up to escape from trouble in pve and pvp.

Sure people who legitimately lose connection may die a few times... small price to pay.

Torque

Quote from: y2duhh on Sep 06, 2012, 03:16 PM
you turned off xp tracking so all anyone has to do is hide out with gear and you dont strip them. we found one of youngs dupe hoarding all sorts of lims in the middle of grey tunnels but we were too low to hi him and then he hung and moved.  PvP is currently dead because most the titems are out and the ones who have it are hoarding them and hiding from any real pvp. you want people to go find them so they can hang and go hide somewhere else for weeks until u find them again, its a huge waste of time and part of the reason that no one is doing very much in pvp but sitting around waiting for another reset.

9/6/2012 2:35 AM Knowone gossips: Magic ,KILLED Khan...pwned!!!

PVP ain't dead.

Come up with other solutions. More lims. Different lims. Better exp. No saferooms. Not, "you aren't doing yor job mr. gradner!!!"    Screw you, YOU aren't doing your job. Go kill someone for some lims!

Vile

Quote from: y2duhh on Sep 06, 2012, 03:16 PM

Don't want to turn this into a mud slinging match, but your crew has sat in safe rooms while we are out boss killing constantly. As a result, we now have most of the lims, you have none... and you're complaining about it.

y2duhh

Quote from: Vile on Sep 06, 2012, 05:33 PM
Don't want to turn this into a mud slinging match, but your crew has sat in safe rooms while we are out boss killing constantly. As a result, we now have most of the lims, you have none... and you're complaining about it.

We have plenty of lims, to say we have none is you trying to turn this into a slinging match. My problem is not with the lims you use its with the lims you don't use. I have always been a big advocate about the lims not in use being thrown back into the game no matter where they are or whatever reason they aren't being used. You guys would probably get the lims again and again and again and I would be fine with that but they should be rotated back into the game constantly after not being used for x amount of time.

Zetetic

Quote from: y2duhh on Sep 06, 2012, 09:33 PM
My problem is not with the lims you use its with the lims you don't use. I have always been a big advocate about the lims not in use being thrown back into the game no matter where they are or whatever reason they aren't being used. You guys would probably get the lims again and again and again and I would be fine with that but they should be rotated back into the game constantly after not being used for x amount of time.

This sounds like an excellent idea. Do you have some suggestions on how to fix it that could be implemented in the game, preferrably something that doesn't require sysop oversight? And for that matter, Gardner: being both an op and a programmer, who has been intimately involved in the tracking of lims for the various pushes, do you have any ideas how that could be implemented?

This sounds like the kind of project that would require a fair bit of time and effort and is not specifically related to balance, but is definitely worth pursuing as it does directly relate to realm stagnation.

My suggestion:
Implement a counter for each limited item that records how much exp was earned while the item was in a characters inventory (not necessarily equipped). You could calculate based on time in inventory, min level and exp earned what a reasonable threshold is to consider an item 'in use' and then just reset the item if it has not gained enough exp in 3,5,7,14 day increments.
This would require a bunch of extra overhead for the games server to deal with, you could make the comparison to the threshold only happen at cleanup to make that a little nicer, though it would increase the cleanup period.

Vile

Quote from: y2duhh on Sep 06, 2012, 09:33 PM
We have plenty of lims, to say we have none is you trying to turn this into a slinging match. My problem is not with the lims you use its with the lims you don't use. I have always been a big advocate about the lims not in use being thrown back into the game no matter where they are or whatever reason they aren't being used. You guys would probably get the lims again and again and again and I would be fine with that but they should be rotated back into the game constantly after not being used for x amount of time.

Lims are being constantly swept and stripped by Gardner. I don't know what your problem is.

The only time lims not being reset they are on active players or in ganghouses (they still get swept from gh from time to time too) and you are free to kill and rob to get these.

Are you advocating reseting lims from inventories if they are not equipped?

y2duhh

Quote from: Vile on Sep 07, 2012, 01:18 AM

Are you advocating reseting lims from inventories if they are not equipped?
Absolutely within reason

y2duhh

Quote from: Zetetic on Sep 07, 2012, 01:02 AM

My suggestion:
Implement a counter for each limited item that records how much exp was earned while the item was in a characters inventory (not necessarily equipped). You could calculate based on time in inventory, min level and exp earned what a reasonable threshold is to consider an item 'in use' and then just reset the item if it has not gained enough exp in 3,5,7,14 day increments.
This would require a bunch of extra overhead for the games server to deal with, you could make the comparison to the threshold only happen at cleanup to make that a little nicer, though it would increase the cleanup period.

I had a similiar idea but it is a little more complex, and lets take 4 items for example.  Witchwood spear, Nexus Spear, Dragonclaw staff, and Stormmetal Corselet.

Both the witchwood spear and the Nexus spear would have to do so much damage over a specific period of time (30 days, 7 days) and if they don't they are recycled. Of course the damage would be different as a level 10-25 isnt going to do the same damage as a level 45+ using spear.   Dragonclaw staff would have to regen so much mana over a period of time and the Stormmetal Corselet would have to take so much damage over that same period of time.  its a little more complex but that aren't normally eq'd all the time like Sparkling Pendants the ability to be used for what they are designed for and not just kept in someones inventory to keep out of the game (which happens now).

Torque

hard to argue with numbers there, pal. Anyway, lets get back to some interesting stuff!

So the average of all ideas and affirmations is (I dont know, I'm asking):

-That we want to test things out using little to no overhaul of code. Zetetic was coming up with some good stuff.

-We would like a reset with these changes

-Changes include:
  -a reduction of crit modifier
  -an across the board increase in hit points
  -an accordingly raised hang pen
  -some type of hp regen increase
  -magic damage increase
  -possibly a cps adjustment? i think that one requires a lot of programming

Help me out here, what else? Admins, which of these require too much work?