Doing away with character cps in the current form. Something to ponder.

Started by Gardner Denver, Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardner Denver

Keep this thread on topic.  All posts related to current board policy have been moved to a new thread and put in the Gardner Sucks section.

Savik

Quote from: Torque on Sep 07, 2012, 12:39 PM
-Changes include:
  -a reduction of crit modifier
  -an across the board increase in hit points
  -an accordingly raised hang pen
  -some type of hp regen increase
  -magic damage increase
  -possibly a cps adjustment? i think that one requires a lot of programming

Help me out here, what else? Admins, which of these require too much work?

Im with you on the crit modifier, hang pens, magic damage increase, but why do we need increased hps/hp regen?

Torque

Several reasons: 1. read through the topic again, those reasons. 2. to supplement characters that do not cast healing spells. 3. to test some shit out. 4. to have extra reasons to actually get a reset. once we get the interest of vitoc, im sure we can manhandle some bad apples (changes) and or vote them out

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Torque on Sep 07, 2012, 12:39 PM
hard to argue with numbers there, pal. Anyway, lets get back to some interesting stuff!

So the average of all ideas and affirmations is (I dont know, I'm asking):

-That we want to test things out using little to no overhaul of code. Zetetic was coming up with some good stuff.

-We would like a reset with these changes

-Changes include:
  -a reduction of crit modifier
  -an across the board increase in hit points
  -an accordingly raised hang pen
  -some type of hp regen increase
  -magic damage increase
  -possibly a cps adjustment? i think that one requires a lot of programming

Help me out here, what else? Admins, which of these require too much work?

The cp adjustment and magic damage increase would be biggish deals namely because it's a pretty radical departure from what we already have.  We'd have to take out caps, extend lvl gain caps, things like that.  Keeping in mind that all MR caps out at a certain point, we'd have to have something similar in place on spells.  Wouldn't want a mage casting magic missile for 1500 damage.

Stalkerr

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Sep 07, 2012, 06:28 PM
The cp adjustment and magic damage increase would be biggish deals namely because it's a pretty radical departure from what we already have.  We'd have to take out caps, extend lvl gain caps, things like that.  Keeping in mind that all MR caps out at a certain point, we'd have to have something similar in place on spells.  Wouldn't want a mage casting magic missile for 1500 damage.

I've got a database modification for spells done already that increases the damage done by player spells while at the same time not changing any of the damage dealt by monsters.  Its a modification of the spell mod someone else made, with all the spells cast by monsters duplicated and reassigned prior to patching.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Stalkerr on Sep 07, 2012, 06:48 PM
I've got a database modification for spells done already that increases the damage done by player spells while at the same time not changing any of the damage dealt by monsters.  Its a modification of the spell mod someone else made, with all the spells cast by monsters duplicated and reassigned prior to patching.

I've heard of that mod.  I don't think that's what they are asking for.  I think they are looking for something more along the lines of damage based on your SC.  For example if it requires say 100 SC to cast a spell, and you have 300 SC, you should do heavier damage with that spell than someone with 200 SC. 

Example:
Spell: Magma Blast.  Minimum SC: 150 Minimum Dmg: 15 Maximum Dmg: 30
At 150 SC you would do mostly 15 point casts but never a 30 point cast.  The difference between min & max dmg is 2x, so at 300 SC you would do mostly 30 casts.  As you went above 300 SC you would get some sort of + Max Dmg bonus on the spell.

y2duhh

If we do make these adjustments is it going to make the game in its current format harder or easier?  What I mean by that is right now people are 5th questing by the 1st or 2nd month of an active realm and there is nothing left after that, is this going to make the game go by faster? imo if we do something like this we should also look into balancing things out like the 5th quest is done at level 100+ and the 4th at 80+ and the monsters are changed to reflect that.

Torque

level 100? that's ridiculous. especially for a quest a level 50 can do

if there is no content after level 50 (paraphrased) then the solution is more content, not changing the way the game works

a good point about yoru post is that it brings up unanticipated consequences, so we all keep an eye out for those

these changes we are testing for balancing.. changing content to balance engine is a way to do it, but that sounds way more tedious and counterintuitive

y2duhh

Quote from: Torque on Sep 07, 2012, 08:25 PM
level 100? that's ridiculous. especially for a quest a level 50 can do

if there is no content after level 50 (paraphrased) then the solution is more content, not changing the way the game works

a good point about yoru post is that it brings up unanticipated consequences, so we all keep an eye out for those

these changes we are testing for balancing.. changing content to balance engine is a way to do it, but that sounds way more tedious and counterintuitive

You are semi right, level 100? sounds like alot, but with resting faster its going to increase xph which is going to increase levels which in turns is going to make level 50 so easily obtainable that maybe 3 weeks? 2 weeks in?  think about it 4 months into pvp and the 5th quest has already been done, if we made it level 100 what would it take if people were earning xp twice as fast? 6 months? doesn't sound all that bad now does it?

Torque

ahh, im following you better now. I think the key here is the reduction of the crit multiplier. instead of a nexus spear doing a base max 300, it will now do 225. a starsteel shortsword instead of 92 will be 69. i think that would slow the scripting down quite a bit, so the timeframe (without doing math) may not be as grossly easy as you suggest

Stalkerr

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Sep 07, 2012, 07:20 PM
I've heard of that mod.  I don't think that's what they are asking for.  I think they are looking for something more along the lines of damage based on your SC.  For example if it requires say 100 SC to cast a spell, and you have 300 SC, you should do heavier damage with that spell than someone with 200 SC. 

Example:
Spell: Magma Blast.  Minimum SC: 150 Minimum Dmg: 15 Maximum Dmg: 30
At 150 SC you would do mostly 15 point casts but never a 30 point cast.  The difference between min & max dmg is 2x, so at 300 SC you would do mostly 30 casts.  As you went above 300 SC you would get some sort of + Max Dmg bonus on the spell.

Earlier I had suggest

Quote from: Stalkerr on Aug 31, 2012, 07:01 PM
I believe that spellcasters need to do more damage, and that they should convert spellcasting that exceeds 100% casting rate to an MR reduction on their target.  Something along the lines of SC over 100% coverted to negative MR at 4:1 ratio. Meaning that low willpower characters would be prone to a possibility of massive damage from incoming spells.

In the actual formula i wrote for this it scales pretty hard once the targets MR is (effectively) below 50, and the antimagic abilitiy makes you immune to this effect.  I would still want to increasse the base damage on spells but this would definately reward players for higher SC.

We could make level 65+ pretty interesting in the pvp realm by disabling the easy trainer/fixing w/e is wrong with the hard trainer.

signalSalute

Here's an idea.  What about doing some stat tweaks on the each race to make them "greater" instead of just a +40 max stat increase straight across the board.

Example for a halfling.  Instead of 20-100 Str why not have something like 30-80?  So it fits the idea of a "halfling" better and you don't have to dump so much in Strength right off the bat so as not to suffer from the encumbrance issue with combat swings/dodge/whatever.  Try to make all the races "greater" yet try to balance them out as well.  The current system seems to favor certain races over others. 

Just something to ponder..

Gardner Denver

Quote from: signalSalute on Sep 08, 2012, 10:45 PM
Here's an idea.  What about doing some stat tweaks on the each race to make them "greater" instead of just a +40 max stat increase straight across the board.

The reason we did the +40 on all stats was simple.  The non pvp realm had been running almost a year and we had lots of players who had maxed out and were starting to sort of lose interest.  This gave them something to do with all those banked cps and created some renewed interest in the game.

Stalkerr

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Sep 09, 2012, 02:05 AM
The reason we did the +40 on all stats was simple.  The non pvp realm had been running almost a year and we had lots of players who had maxed out and were starting to sort of lose interest.  This gave them something to do with all those banked cps and created some renewed interest in the game.

Your words make cows sad.

Vitoc

We're working towards getting a (mostly) faithful remake of MajorMUD completed.  We tried new content and most kind of rejected it.  It's obvious we all love the MajorMUD content most of us grew up playing.

Content is not yet our focus, but it will be addressed.  As Gardner mentioned, adding the +40 to max-stats was sort of an easy win.  Let us finish the engine and then we'll make an honest attempt to work on new content and address game balance.