Ideas for Deathcow's 3rd Realm Edits

Started by Greater, Apr 16, 2013, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stalkerr

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Apr 17, 2013, 12:03 PM
They'd also instantly be the highest damage class in the game. We need to be careful with things like this.

Maybe during certain level ranges..but this statement is misleading if not false. 

Greater

Fren 5 max dmg/5 crit + Smit 4 max damage is higher than any class that can use 2 handers gets from buffs. This would be sort of like a Wardancer who can also room for 500 with spell mod and have 85-90 AC.

GG

If not the highest damage, it'd be damn close. Crit classes might edge it out because of the unnaturally high crit %s, but it'd still be close.

Stalkerr

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Apr 17, 2013, 12:53 PM
Fren 5 max dmg/5 crit + Smit 4 max damage is higher than any class that can use 2 handers gets from buffs. This would be sort of like a Wardancer who can also room for 500 with spell mod and have 85-90 AC.

GG

If not the highest damage, it'd be damn close. Crit classes might edge it out because of the unnaturally high crit %s, but it'd still be close.

Yeah, but all that is meaningless at say..level 1.  Or even mid game when a combat-4 with zeal or prow would get more swings with a heavy weapon.

Jester

So then, if we're planning to roll with standard stats (I support this concept 100%), and there will be potential for new ways to use CPs, I have a few ideas.

This is just to get the ball rolling on the idea, it needs a lot of work.  I'm thinking that rather than keep increasing stats which quickly skews the engine mechanics you could get some of the benefits of what a stat increase would do a la carte, ie: + max damage.

I'm not sure if it makes the most sense to allow all abilities for everyone or if it should be racially decided to allow for better race balancing (downside is it is a heck of a lot more work to come up with ideas for each race individually).

Some of the things I've thought of (obviously need to be balanced, just rough numbers)

+1 max dmg for 10 CPs
+1/0 AC for 10 CPs
+0/.2 AC for 10 CPs
+5 dodge for 10 CPs
+5 HpRegen for 10 CPs
+5 MpRegen for 10 CPs
+1% encumb for 10 CPs
Swimming (no need for raft) 10 CPs - Credit: DC
Climbing (no need for rope) 10 CPs - Credit: DC
+10 perception for 10 CPs
+10 spellcasting for 10 CPs
+10 MagicRes for 10 CPs
+10 light, 10 CPs

Other ideas:
Grant tracking ability for 50 CPs
Grant picklocks ability for 50 CPs
Grant thievery for 50 CPs
Grant traps for 50 CPs

Just to give a few examples on "racial" additions, I was thinking something along the lines of this for Kang:
Toughened Skin 30 CPs, +1/.1 AC
Regeneration 30 CPs, +1 heal

You could also mix the two having several generic additions available for purchase via CPs and also have racial "bonus" items that can be purchased via CPs to add to the racial differences.

Stalkerr

Quote from: Jester on Apr 17, 2013, 01:42 PM
So then, if we're planning to roll with standard stats (I support this concept 100%), and there will be potential for new ways to use CPs, I have a few ideas.

This is just to get the ball rolling on the idea, it needs a lot of work.  I'm thinking that rather than keep increasing stats which quickly skews the engine mechanics you could get some of the benefits of what a stat increase would do a la carte, ie: + max damage.

I'm not sure if it makes the most sense to allow all abilities for everyone or if it should be racially decided to allow for better race balancing (downside is it is a heck of a lot more work to come up with ideas for each race individually).

Some of the things I've thought of (obviously need to be balanced, just rough numbers)

+1 max dmg for 10 CPs
+1/0 AC for 10 CPs
+0/.2 AC for 10 CPs
+5 dodge for 10 CPs
+5 HpRegen for 10 CPs
+5 MpRegen for 10 CPs
+1% encumb for 10 CPs
Swimming (no need for raft) 10 CPs - Credit: DC
Climbing (no need for rope) 10 CPs - Credit: DC
+10 perception for 10 CPs
+10 spellcasting for 10 CPs
+10 MagicRes for 10 CPs
+10 light, 10 CPs

Other ideas:
Grant tracking ability for 50 CPs
Grant picklocks ability for 50 CPs
Grant thievery for 50 CPs
Grant traps for 50 CPs

Just to give a few examples on "racial" additions, I was thinking something along the lines of this for Kang:
Toughened Skin 30 CPs, +1/.1 AC
Regeneration 30 CPs, +1 heal

You could also mix the two having several generic additions available for purchase via CPs and also have racial "bonus" items that can be purchased via CPs to add to the racial differences.

Just to be clear, I cannot promise anything changed coding wise; So this idea might be out the door from the get go.  BUT since it was the one thing Vitoc brought up himself its possible that its something that could be fit in before the next ice age.  I had kinda pictured the abilities all being unique and not seen on races and classes already in the game.  And they'd need to be somewhere between cosmetic and minor in power level.

Jester

Ok, my take on exp charts:  It's not the best way to balance classes, but it's the easiest.  I'm not sure we can do enough without engine mods to really 'fix' classes, so exp charts is the best option.

Other than upping the HOG and Kang charts (maybe dwarf as well?) to account for the awesomeness of strength as a stat, I've been away too long to have a lot of input on individual class rates.

y2duhh

I am guessing this is a coding change but I always thougth ganghouse should all be the same price and you should be able to buy different guards to protect your house.

Jester

That should be changable on the content side and it brings up an interesting point.

I always thought it was kind of silly that ganghouse emblems were generally pretty class-specific.  Casters don't really want the diamond emblem, but the white house is probably the best defended house.

I do like the idea of being able to summon multiple types of guardians into your house, mixing types would allow for a much nastier defensive mixture of status effects.  The only issue with that is you would have to make one of each guardian for each house so they would respect the correct token (I'm intentionally not calling it an emblem to lead into my next item...)

I think rather than an emblem per ganghouse, each ganghouse should have an internal shop where you can purchase 'worn' items similar to each of the current emblems so that various gang members can use the emblem that best suits them.  You could then replace the emblem with a different kind of token that keeps the guardians of the house at bay.

Stalkerr

Quote from: y2duhh on Apr 17, 2013, 02:46 PM
I am guessing this is a coding change but I always thougth ganghouse should all be the same price and you should be able to buy different guards to protect your house.

There are ways to handle this in both corners.  I've done 3 or 4 different gang house patches that change the way they are defended, although I've not changed their pricing (thats content handled anyway).  Sometime in the next few days I'll put together a post about the options I have(or any suggestions I hear) about this. 

We need to be clear about some things.

1: What should the purpose of a ganghouse be.

2: How difficult should it be to break in.

3: And how well should a gang be able to defend their ganghouse through economic means.

speaking of which:  are their any bugs related to infinite income that need to be addressed?

Stalkerr

Quote from: Jester on Apr 17, 2013, 02:53 PM

I do like the idea of being able to summon multiple types of guardians into your house, mixing types would allow for a much nastier defensive mixture of status effects.  The only issue with that is you would have to make one of each guardian for each house so they would respect the correct token (I'm intentionally not calling it an emblem to lead into my next item...)

I think rather than an emblem per ganghouse, each ganghouse should have an internal shop where you can purchase 'worn' items similar to each of the current emblems so that various gang members can use the emblem that best suits them.  You could then replace the emblem with a different kind of token that keeps the guardians of the house at bay.

That would be an interesting use for gang shops that are currently not working in GreaterMud anyway.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Stalkerr on Apr 17, 2013, 08:07 AM
Oh lord yeah..they are still 500%.  But are people playing them because mystics are still good at 500..or just because its 500 and they are soooo gewd at mud that it doesn't matter?

The high chart only affects the pvp realm not the non pvp realm.

Jester

Since you brought up income, that is something else that could be tweaked.  High Yield EXP scripting should not ALSO be high yield money scripting.  Make people choose between scripting for money or scripting for better exp.  If you allow the win-win scenario it eliminates the value of money. 

Money drop rates across the realm should be scaled back and storm giants shouldn't drop platinum pieces unless it can be set to happen less often (I'm not sure how money drops are handled, if they are a 100% drop at a range from x to y then platinum should never be dropped by a standard monster that respawns frequently).

If mobs can be set to drop money only a certain % of the time that would be idea.  Maybe high yield exp loops have mobs that only drop gold 1%  of the time (if at all) and areas that have higher money drop rates have significantly lower exp potential.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Stalkerr on Apr 17, 2013, 03:00 AM
I could probably rework that entire area a bit...so that the easy trainer trained you to 75..then you had to do that hard trainer for more levels past that?  I suppose up into the infinite levels is fine considering how exp charts work.  Off the top of my head I'm not exactly sure what it is in the hard trainer that doesnt work in gmud..maybe a hint would help me out.  I dunno that this is something I'd have to have ready right away, it takes a couple months for that to become an issue.

The biggest issue with the hard trainer is when you enter the tree room, the tree goes into your inventory instead of on the ground like it should.  This is an engine issue that can't be addressed through content unless you recode the entire area to include something to remove the tree.

Vile

I want simple things. Are these within the scope of whatever edits DC is able to implement?

• Some form of +spell damage (also applies to blesses and healing) from items
  • More +spell damage (as above) from the caster's main stat, just like STR does with max damage
  • Spell crits
  • Tweaks to the combat system. Damage needs to be lowered and hps raised

Jester

Could there just be a fixture in the room that you can 'insert tree' into that causes the mob to spawn?  It's clunky, but it would work. 

Or you could just have Lozrina / beautiful man drop some kind of unique keys that open consecutive doors to Azmfodsfijsdaflksah whatever his name is.  Similar to the keys to get to Thrag.  You would have to add a room or two maybe, or at least add some doors along the path to the tree room.