Ideas for Deathcow's 3rd Realm Edits

Started by Greater, Apr 16, 2013, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Reinstitute Trader Tull:

Specifically for 5th quest weapons.  Nobody likes finishing up the 5th quest only to get shafted on their quest weapon.  Maybe rework the 5th quest rewards as well so all of the weapons are good, but with different strengths.  Some of them just plain suck:  See also - Flamemasher.

I guess you could rework the quest-giver textblock to allow folks to choose their reward at the time of completion if it is deemed OP to allow on the fly switching out of quest weapons.  It seems kind of lame that you get a random roll on one of three weapons.

It eliminates the ultra fun 'level a HORC warrior or thief to 50 ASAP and reroll them after the quest' minigame though.

Jester

Light sources:

I would like to see more viable light sources for the current afk-model of the game.  Relatively short duration light sources made sense when the game was created, but it's a major chore now.  In a game filled with enchantments, I would like to see a quest for something (worn, eye, face, ear) that puts out decent light.  It would have to be used at the expense of something more valueable, I'm not in favor of a permanent light source that you can just hold in your inventory (although I would like to see the durations bumped up on most of the light sources in the game).

For a quest, I'm thinking something like take the glowing pearl that drops from the giant oyster in the underground river (drop rate needs to be bumped up from 1% to something feasible) to the gnome enchantress and have her enchant it, or maybe add another Martok type NPC that can craft the pearl into a broach or some earrings or glasses, I dunno...you get the idea.

Even though I said I'm generally against a permanent item that you can just hold in your inventory, I wouldn't be against something like a bioluminescent (like the glowing pearl) that IS permanent and DOESN'T have to be equipped or worn that adds a SMALL amount of light (+25 maybe) just to take the edge off for mildly dark places.

Jester

Zanthus the Lich:

Can we make him at least feasible to kill?  Maybe just undo the knee-jerk reactions of IZaK that destroyed it?  Just changing the sunburst to 10x per day would have been enough, but noooooooo. (thanks a lot DC, you caused it, now fix it.  :P )

I would like to see a fix to his area to make it possible to group up and make a run at him and also make him possible to kill more than once.  He's worth a nice chunk of exp and you might even see daily lich runs, you know, like ACTUAL live board activity at high levels.  Crazy talk, right?

Greater

Quote from: Jester on Apr 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
Zanthus the Lich:

Can we make him at least feasible to kill?  Maybe just undo the knee-jerk reactions of IZaK that destroyed it?  Just changing the sunburst to 10x per day would have been enough, but noooooooo. (thanks a lot DC, you caused it, now fix it.  :P )

I would like to see a fix to his area to make it possible to group up and make a run at him and also make him possible to kill more than once.  He's worth a nice chunk of exp and you might even see daily lich runs, you know, like ACTUAL live board activity at high levels.  Crazy talk, right?

As much as I'd like to see this, it wouldn't be quite so important with a good bunch of new top-end bosses added to the game. Zanthus is just worth way too much experience to let people kill him regularly.

I did quite a bit of work on an edited realm turning the tsunami squid into a viable endgame boss with things worth killing him for.  A death text produced a chest for everyone involved, and the chest was filled with items for top-end only, as well as a few low level items only attainable from this chest (similar concept to amber pearl earrings being a low level item only attainable through high-level chests). A few simple ideas like this can really fill the void after you're done 5th questing.

Stalkerr

Quote from: Jester on Apr 25, 2013, 10:39 AM
Reinstitute Trader Tull:

Specifically for 5th quest weapons.  Nobody likes finishing up the 5th quest only to get shafted on their quest weapon.  Maybe rework the 5th quest rewards as well so all of the weapons are good, but with different strengths.  Some of them just plain suck:  See also - Flamemasher.

I guess you could rework the quest-giver textblock to allow folks to choose their reward at the time of completion if it is deemed OP to allow on the fly switching out of quest weapons.  It seems kind of lame that you get a random roll on one of three weapons.

It eliminates the ultra fun 'level a HORC warrior or thief to 50 ASAP and reroll them after the quest' minigame though.

I'd rather work on the rewards and make them all decent weapons, if I was going to allow you to switch 5th quest weapons it would probably be in the form of a quest rather than a point and click sort of thing.

Quote from: Jester on Apr 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
Light sources:

I would like to see more viable light sources for the current afk-model of the game.  Relatively short duration light sources made sense when the game was created, but it's a major chore now.  In a game filled with enchantments, I would like to see a quest for something (worn, eye, face, ear) that puts out decent light.  It would have to be used at the expense of something more valueable, I'm not in favor of a permanent light source that you can just hold in your inventory (although I would like to see the durations bumped up on most of the light sources in the game).

For a quest, I'm thinking something like take the glowing pearl that drops from the giant oyster in the underground river (drop rate needs to be bumped up from 1% to something feasible) to the gnome enchantress and have her enchant it, or maybe add another Martok type NPC that can craft the pearl into a broach or some earrings or glasses, I dunno...you get the idea.

Even though I said I'm generally against a permanent item that you can just hold in your inventory, I wouldn't be against something like a bioluminescent (like the glowing pearl) that IS permanent and DOESN'T have to be equipped or worn that adds a SMALL amount of light (+25 maybe) just to take the edge off for mildly dark places.

Multiple people have brought this up, and I'll work on it in some fashion.  I think that making the light source giving masks 'face' type items will help a lot.

Quote from: Jester on Apr 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
Zanthus the Lich:

He is actually pretty doable in Gmud because the realm is more than 10 total players.  I've killed him everytime I've done 5th quest.  The only issue that needs to be addressed imo is item recovery...or at least make it less painful to go back to your gang house and gear down before you make the attempt.

Greater

Something that might be nice are alternatives to the mod 9 good priest class items for neutral or evil. It's a little imbalanced that this small handful of classes/this align gets both the best combat and mana regen rings  (silver signet and morningstar, and also the best defensive ring from 1st good), a crazy good neck (sunburst), and various other OP items like Darkbane and golden sun robes.

Drops and or/simple quests ala sunburst would be an easy way to add these things in.

Stalkerr

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Apr 27, 2013, 12:55 PM
Something that might be nice are alternatives to the mod 9 good priest class items for neutral or evil. It's a little imbalanced that this small handful of classes/this align gets both the best combat and mana regen rings  (silver signet and morningstar, and also the best defensive ring from 1st good), a crazy good neck (sunburst), and various other OP items like Darkbane and golden sun robes.

Drops and or/simple quests ala sunburst would be an easy way to add these things in.

I'll look into the neutral priest stuff a bit, although I can see why there isnt much neural priest gear.  I can't really imagine much that fits along these lines without really forcing the concept onto the item.  There isnt really a fatasy genre standard for neutral priest.  I could design stats and such all day, but I'd like so kinda inspiration for it.  Eh.  I'll just work with priest of balance in mind...even though the scales of justice or w/e are already a mystic item.

Greater

I guess I just see this an an opportunity to help buff some classes that don't get a lot of love in the stock game. The post was intended more to show that those specific classes @ good align get a lot more fun stuff than basically everyone else.

Some target items from drops or a miniquest by the gypsy woman could really be cool for Thieves and Gypsies. Banished One could be one source of drops for these classes.

A non lim 1% drop (Or less by copying the monster and putting the drop on 1 of 3 or 4 versions) from rubicant in Arlysia for Warlock is a possibility. Rogue in Arlysia might be another nice source for a fun item for Thief classes.

Darken Beast Lord's description shows, "Wielding a terrifying long-spear, he is garbed only in a dark leather hide." This might be a nice place to put a desirable leather piece.

Death Shrieker's description shows it wearing the remnants of a tattered robe and a cowl...yet another possible spot for a low % drop.

Vampire Elder description talks about it wearing rich silks.

The possibilities are basically endless.

Zetetic

I personally like the idea that priests really are an evil or good class. The evil gear for them definitely needs some work, the good items are just far superior. I'm tempted to suggest that the evil items should be more powerful than the good aligned counterparts - as the downside is that you have to be evil, something that takes work to maintain and adds many more risks to the game.

The only possible suggestion that I can give for a neutral priest is that you give them access to both evil and good spells, but none of the fancy gear.

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Apr 27, 2013, 01:33 PM
A non lim 1% drop (Or less by copying the monster and putting the drop on 1 of 3 or 4 versions) from rubicant in Arlysia for Warlock is a possibility. Rogue in Arlysia might be another nice source for a fun item for Thief classes.
Please, no more 1% drop on monsters with a low spawn rate that are hard to script at the level you need the item. Getting nature tap as a Druid is already horrendous. I've had to try for three days straight once before. If the item is important to your class, can we have it at least 5% drop rate (also, can you increase the drop rate of the nature tap scroll to a more reasonable level)? What reason do we have to punish people when they are trying to get items that probably won't be in use for longer than ten levels?

Your overall ideas of fleshing out some of the classes with gear is definitely appreciated. Might I suggest that we lower the weight of some of the crafted scale armour pieces, so they become viable and have some longevity (lower strength races might want to use them instead of better, heavier items)?

I really like the idea of using the description of monsters to fashion your drops. I look forward to looking at the descriptions of the new monsters that are added.

Wad

Currently from the stock game, there a few craftable armor sets/weapons. What if this were expanded. I am sure the userbase could come up with some awesome suggestions. Not saying this craftable eq has to be uber awesome, but say , better than store bought, on par or slightly better than chest drops, but less than limiteds.

Say like infusing a typical weapon, say a morning star with a sapphire, ups min/max damage by 3, offers +5 resist cold, and a 20% chance for frost/water dmg for 1-3 damage.

Wad

Torque

Quote from: y2duhh on Apr 17, 2013, 10:02 AM
Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Warlocks - I always thought a very easy fix to warlocks was to give them 2 handers and raise their xp charts.  A warlock who can wield a 2 handed weapon would instantly be a played character.
Although this is complete garbage and you shoud be banned,

Quote from: y2duhh on Apr 17, 2013, 10:02 AM
4) I know some people hate this idea but can we lower monster XP and leave quests the same or something to that effect and can we raise some monsters output.  I don't see any reason why bosses should be killed by a group of level 1s.   I dont see why people should be able to get level 50 in the matter of month.   Lets create a game where it actually takes you a week to get to where we usually are a matter of a day.

This is a great idea.

Harvester

Quote from: Jester on Apr 25, 2013, 10:39 AM
Reinstitute Trader Tull:

Sorry for the necro, but I wrote an addon a little while back that does this. The concept is the same although the mechanics are a bit different. Can read about it over at mudinfo.

http://www.mudinfo.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1459