Megamud update for Gmud

Started by Winterhawk, Jul 05, 2013, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim gilmore

Again I ask... Where is the link ??? i see no place to download anything ??? or address for same...

Thergin

Thank you Winterhawk for all the years of great service!

Harvester

Bumping this to say thanks for the awesome work that has been put into making it.

Also, because reset is less than a week away and people may need it.

RPenton

Quote from: Winterhawk on Jul 07, 2013, 07:42 AM
Sadly there is no source code available. I seem to remember Merlin saying he didn't even have the source anymore in response to that very question, but I may be misremembering. I don't even think anyone really knows what database program is used. All work I do is done from within the existing program via adding or rewriting rooms and paths or making changes to existing databases .

Winterhawk

I had a good conversation with him a couple of years back and he gave me the details. He has the source code to MegaMUD, but he's unwilling to release it for several reasons. First of all being it was a hobby project and he's not happy with the quality of the code. Second, and perhaps most importantly, the database engine he used was a proprietary engine that his company at the time used, which he does not have permission to release the source of, and could get in a lot of trouble for releasing it.

That's pretty much the reason why I ended up working on OmegaMUD, though I unfortunately got bored of writing that before completion.