Majpr Bug with charm

Started by jim gilmore, Aug 03, 2013, 07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim gilmore

Charm seems to have a  major quirks. That if you charm a mob and then attack. It will show a message of.
The Mob attacks the Mob. This does not make any sense sunce Char should fall off the creature when you attack it. But to have it attack itself is even stranger.

Vitoc

Quote from: jim gilmore on Aug 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
Charm seems to have a  major quirks. That if you charm a mob and then attack. It will show a message of.
The Mob attacks the Mob. This does not make any sense sunce Char should fall off the creature when you attack it. But to have it attack itself is even stranger.
Suicidal mobs?  Hey, it could happen. ;D

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Vitoc on Aug 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Suicidal mobs?  Hey, it could happen. ;D

Actually this is the #1 method of gathering the 10 woodelf heads for the evil 2nd quest.  Go out, charm a few, and just let them kill off all the others in the room and then themselves.

Vile

This is also the #1 method of killing Mr Lionheart and collecting a shiny gavel and belt at level 18.

mad

people cheating in mud

nowai

Vitoc

So I got bored tonight and dusted off the GMUD codebase.  I made a first attempt at fixing this.  I've been using LINQ extensions a ton at work with EntityFramework, so it comes second nature anymore.  This is the first time I've used them in GMUD.  Holy crap, this would have saved me some keystrokes years ago, especially in targeting items/cash/players/mobs with commands.

I'm planning on doing at least a small push this weekend.  The first shot at a fix for this bug will likely be part of it.

Gardner Denver

I told you that you'd like LINQ if you just gave it half a chance :)

Vitoc

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Aug 14, 2013, 09:48 PM
I told you that you'd like LINQ if you just gave it half a chance :)
You also told me I'd like VB.NET, which made me think take anything you said with a grain of salt.  :)

mad

can you increase min dmg while you're at it.. maybe + 0.1 * level mindmg so it scales as you level ? adjust from that ?

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Vitoc on Aug 14, 2013, 10:33 PM
You also told me I'd like VB.NET, which made me think take anything you said with a grain of salt.  :)

You would like it if you gave it half a chance :)

Vitoc

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Aug 15, 2013, 06:48 AM
You would like it if you gave it half a chance :)
Honestly, I did give it a chance.  When I first got started in .NET back in beta 1.0, I had to decide between C# and VB.NET.  I chose C# for a variety of reasons, and that was after coming from a VBA background in Access.  If anything, VB.NET had the advantage going into my research.

As for LINQ, remember I wrote most of the targeting code in GMUD before LINQ hit the scene.  Furthermore, I don't use the standard LINQ syntax; I use the extensions which came even later and feel more natural from a programming standpoint.

Gardner Denver

VBA sucks.  Even though I was forced to use it for several projects, I always hated it.  I was so happy to see that VB.NET decided to make a clean break from that format.

Vitoc

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Aug 15, 2013, 09:16 PM
VBA sucks.  Even though I was forced to use it for several projects, I always hated it.  I was so happy to see that VB.NET decided to make a clean break from that format.
I don't like writing essays when I code, thanks.  ;D

Anywho, back on topic.  This bug should be fixed and will be deployed later this weekend.  I also plan to do some work on GMUD tomorrow and/or Sunday.

jim gilmore

so charm will now break when u attack a mob??
That's good....even THough I
dumped the bard and went back to a warlock.
Also charmed creatures seem to follow very slowly..

Kafkaa

You can still charm with a warlock, they get enslave.