PVP Protected Rooms

Started by ghaleon, May 09, 2006, 10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghaleon

Instead of being able to engage and then having your attack be timed out, it should be changed to the following line.

You are overcome with a feeling of guilt and break off your attack.

But some think it should be changed to this...

A magical force prevents you from completing your action.

...due to the fact that not everyone has 'guilt' ... i know i dont =)
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Locke Cole

Quote from: ghaleon on May 09, 2006, 10:11 PM
Instead of being able to engage and then having your attack be timed out, it should be changed to the following line.

You are overcome with a feeling of guilt and break off your attack.
I vote that it should use the MMUD message (quoted). =)

DeathCow

You are overcome with a feeling of 'guilt' and break off your attack.

Grand

Locke Cole

Quote from: DeathCow on May 09, 2006, 10:40 PM
You are overcome with a feeling of 'guilt' and break off your attack.
I always thought that message was ironic. Since it's doubtful you're actually feeling guilt when you're trying to attack someone in a protected room. :P

The Crazy Animal

I thought the PVP protected rooms were going in the trash....

ghaleon

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on May 10, 2006, 12:51 AM
I thought the PVP protected rooms were going in the trash....

That would be even better =) BUT unfortunatly there are some rooms that need to be protected such as death rooms.
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Locke Cole

Quote from: ghaleon on May 10, 2006, 08:21 AMThat would be even better =) BUT unfortunatly there are some rooms that need to be protected such as death rooms.

Yeah.. and actually, it'd be cool if we made the reincarnation rooms exit only (no way to re-enter) and made it so if you hang in a reincarnation room you exit directly outside it. The rooms themselves still need to be protected, but they couldn't be abused as PvP avoiding rooms.

The Crazy Animal

You could make it so that when some dies they are brought back in a ghost like form. Basically they can't be seen, attacked, or move till they type a command to rejoin the living. They could then be protected but at the same time not needing a room that is protected.

Or you could just make it so that the death room that they get put in is not in this world. To get out they must use a one way portal. Again not a protected room but the only people that could attack would then be those that also died.

Or you could do a combination of the two with the portal removing the ghost form.

At any rate it makes more sense then just protecting a room.

ghaleon

Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Locke Cole

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on May 10, 2006, 12:00 PM
You could make it so that when some dies they are brought back in a ghost like form. Basically they can't be seen, attacked, or move till they type a command to rejoin the living. They could then be protected but at the same time not needing a room that is protected.

I don't really see the difference between the ghostly form thing and just protecting the reincarnation room... And if the idea is to curb abuse of protected rooms during PVP, I think I covered that already above.

ghaleon

Quote from: Locke Cole on May 10, 2006, 08:36 AM
Quote from: ghaleon on May 10, 2006, 08:21 AMThat would be even better =) BUT unfortunatly there are some rooms that need to be protected such as death rooms.

Yeah.. and actually, it'd be cool if we made the reincarnation rooms exit only (no way to re-enter) and made it so if you hang in a reincarnation room you exit directly outside it. The rooms themselves still need to be protected, but they couldn't be abused as PvP avoiding rooms.

sorry my 'agreed' comment was ment for this post =)
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

The Crazy Animal

Well the difference is that two people could be fighting in the room and the dead player could just sit there safely. Ideally if the ghostly form was used you would have a small area that they would appear in randomly so people wouldn't have the ability to just sit and wait for the dead player to recarnate thier physical form in a known room.

Not to bash your idea but the only way a one way exit/no entrance other than death helps would be if the exit from the death room triggered a random teleport event to a range of rooms otherwise someone can just wait at the known exit point.

-------

Since it is a new game we could have a lot of fun with the dead player and make a secondary small realm that is something like the vortex having a choice of exits back into the land of the living. Secondly if you populated it with spirits and stuff could be a fun place to stick bonus quests and stuff that can only be started when a player has died. Just an offshoot idea though.

Locke Cole

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on May 10, 2006, 02:08 PMNot to bash your idea but the only way a one way exit/no entrance other than death helps would be if the exit from the death room triggered a random teleport event to a range of rooms otherwise someone can just wait at the known exit point.
If someone is that pissed off at you that you'd be killed by one player and have another waiting to kill you when you come out, then you probably deserve whatever beating you're getting. :P

QuoteSince it is a new game we could have a lot of fun with the dead player and make a secondary small realm that is something like the vortex having a choice of exits back into the land of the living. Secondly if you populated it with spirits and stuff could be a fun place to stick bonus quests and stuff that can only be started when a player has died. Just an offshoot idea though.
It's a new game but just an extension of MajorMUD. DeathCow would have a better idea if something like this would fit in with the game or not (since most of the major content decisions go through him), but I gotta say while it's unique and different, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea. :( I'm all for expansions on MajorMUD but this seems way too different even for MMUD.