[Spells] Magic Missile

Started by proteus, May 15, 2006, 05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

Speaking strictly on a long-buried DND geek level, is it all possible to make Magic Missile work the way it does in every other game, where you have the ability to gain more missiles (or in this game, "swings") as you gain levels?
I don't know, maybe an extra missile every ten levels, with the same damage range. Unless of course this spell already does this, and I didn't know because I never used it much past level 2 or 3.

DeathCow

Yes, it is posible.  And infact, very easy.  Although I'm not sure how I want to do it.  It could just be made into an innate mage abilty, or into so funky spell.  I'm just not sure how useful it would be to give magic missle multiple attacks as a spell..i dunno..

The Crazy Animal

I actually would like to see spells like that get put in it doesn't have to be magic missile but it would be nice if spells had ways to evolve with a character.

Other ways we could make spells evolve or otherwise better interact with the characters evolution:
Pay 50 gold to X NPC and they give you a upgrade to your spell.
Quest for an item, Use item and it gives you a new version of the spell.
Spend X CPs and you can add a spell effect or improve its mana efficiency a little bit.
Gain X levels and you automaticly get a spell upgrade on a spell you've bought.
Code the spells so they gain effects based on your spellcasting and magic rating.
Wearing X item could boost a single type of spell. Such as a firestone for fire based spells.

Darmius

I would love to see this too.  Mages suck at melee, higher lvls it gets a little better but still...  Giving them a way to attack like melee classes but through magical means would be nice.  This also would work well for critical hits and mages could have DPS in line with other classes.

Going off on a tangent here:  All three magic-3 classes could have a spell/ability like this that takes no mana and is more of an innate ability.  This would let them do damage via magical means but reduce thier resting duration.  Basically it's a scripting spell that does physical damage (maybe).  MR would be equivlant to AC, its not about hit or miss, more like does damage or does not.  Then DR could reduce the damage.  The other spells magic-3 classes get usually have an element type, these spells have a more "focused" use and would be used to augment scripting damaged and for group play when fighting in non-scripting area.

Also could you base the spell off of energy like normal attacks, but use magic-# for the swing modifer in the same way that combat-# is used?      I don't know the inner mechanics too well