[Spells] Spell Circles.

Started by DeathCow, May 26, 2006, 04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Faceless thing on May 29, 2006, 02:44 AM
should there be a circle of animal? and take some of the animal stuff outa circle of nature?

We can subset some of it look at the circle of mind.

Faceless thing

What about like the circle of air fire water and earth we can make that a circle of elements and put them in it  would make it easier to distribute points  ? just an idea..

DeathCow

Quote from: Locke Cole on May 29, 2006, 01:18 AM
Quote from: The Crazy Animal on May 29, 2006, 01:10 AMDC, should I add any of the all the updates you didn't get to the wiki page or are there some I should leave out?

I would say make any changes you like on the wiki version, there's a full edit history available and edits can be fairly easily rolled back if there's a problem.

I'm hoping that ideas will eventually be proposed entirely on the wiki (with maybe a link from the forum to the proposed idea), where it can be built on by others quickly and easily. Logged in users can create any page they like (and pages can be renamed (moved) if there's a naming convention agreed upon later). And if you have an RSS/ATOM feed reader, you can subscribe to the Recent changes feed to get updates delivered to your feed reader.

Personally I see the forum as an area to discuss and build ideas and the wikipage a place to build a presentation for them. ?I wouldn't want to have a pages called. ?"I think there should be manwhores OOOOooooO." Or something on the wikipage. ?But honestly if someone wants to bring that idea to the table, and have a discussion here about it thats fine. ?Should it happen that through discussion manwhore becomes a viable idea then the ideas wikipage can be used to present the idea completely. ?

Future wise I see the wikipage containing a "added/ingame" ?area that will present what moved from the ideas section into the game. ?It will serve as a learning bridge for player migrating from majormud.

No, there shouldn't be a circle of animals, and I want the 4 elemental circles seperate. ?Yes feel free to add to the spells list. ?I've decided I like the arcane as a mage-2/mage-3 only circle.

I know i didn't updated anything yesterday. ?I was drinking. ?Sue me. :P

Locke Cole

Quote from: DeathCow on May 29, 2006, 05:31 AMPersonally I see the forum as an area to discuss and build ideas and the wikipage a place to build a presentation for them.  I wouldn't want to have a pages called.  "I think there should be manwhores OOOOooooO." Or something on the wikipage.  But honestly if someone wants to bring that idea to the table, and have a discussion here about it thats fine.  Should it happen that through discussion manwhore becomes a viable idea then the ideas wikipage can be used to present the idea completely.

If someone made a page like that, we could make a rule classifying stupid ideas as delete-on-sight. It's organic, as we run into issues, we can design guidelines and rules around them. If we start getting too many ideas on the wiki, we can provide a "Proposals" page where ideas can be discussed/voted upon before being given their own pages. Further, each page on the wiki has a discussion page which can act as a mini-forum for the page it's attached to.

Ultimately I'd like to see the ideas forum redirect to the main ideas page on the wiki. :P

QuoteFuture wise I see the wikipage containing a "added/ingame"  area that will present what moved from the ideas section into the game.  It will serve as a learning bridge for player migrating from majormud.

Agreed, and once we have content to document hopefully things will pick up more (and maybe you'll see why moving ideas there is a good idea itself). ;)

DeathCow

Quote from: Locke Cole on May 29, 2006, 05:40 AM
Quote from: DeathCow on May 29, 2006, 05:31 AMPersonally I see the forum as an area to discuss and build ideas and the wikipage a place to build a presentation for them. I wouldn't want to have a pages called. "I think there should be manwhores OOOOooooO." Or something on the wikipage. But honestly if someone wants to bring that idea to the table, and have a discussion here about it thats fine. Should it happen that through discussion manwhore becomes a viable idea then the ideas wikipage can be used to present the idea completely.

If someone made a page like that, we could make a rule classifying stupid ideas as delete-on-sight. It's organic, as we run into issues, we can design guidelines and rules around them. If we start getting too many ideas on the wiki, we can provide a "Proposals" page where ideas can be discussed/voted upon before being given their own pages. Further, each page on the wiki has a discussion page which can act as a mini-forum for the page it's attached to.

Ultimately I'd like to see the ideas forum redirect to the main ideas page on the wiki. :P

QuoteFuture wise I see the wikipage containing a "added/ingame" area that will present what moved from the ideas section into the game. It will serve as a learning bridge for player migrating from majormud.

Agreed, and once we have content to document hopefully things will pick up more (and maybe you'll see why moving ideas there is a good idea itself). ;)
That would be nice.  But as a whole the mud community is more familar with the structure of forums rather than wikimedia.  I'm not against the idea should greatermud's community evolve to favor it,  I just don't know if that likely.  Although I am for the idea of at least attempting to make such a transition.  We can at least test the waters

The Crazy Animal

Ok the updates are for the circles are all in on the wiki page with the exception of updating the second chart...

Faceless thing

i have a question tho in circle of nature there is .. fire storm (should be in fire) lighting storm (should be on air)blizzard (should be in water)..  i thought nature was animal and plant life spells?

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Faceless thing on May 29, 2006, 06:35 PM
i have a question tho in circle of nature there is .. fire storm (should be in fire) lighting storm (should be on air)blizzard (should be in water)..? i thought nature was animal and plant life spells?

I agree Fire storm should be moved too.

However; Call lightning, Call Lightning storm, Call blizzard, are just overlaps dealing with the effects of weather on nature that's the only reason they are there. So I wouldn't move those but you could tag them with a needs this circle too note with the correlating circle type. That would make more sense in the long run to have some spells that are only able to be learned if you have the appropriate combinations of circles. I would add a Brushfire or Flashfire AOE attack in to replace Fire Storm that uses the Circle combination as mentioned above.

Faceless thing

So what circle is transformation in i thought druids where able to transform? into like animals trees and stuff?

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Faceless thing on May 29, 2006, 08:56 PM
So what circle is transformation in i thought druids where able to transform? into like animals trees and stuff?

Well thats a hard one there could be a few views on that. I would say I would leave it up the the individual transformation spell unless one of the higher ups puts their foot down on where it belongs.

So far transformation is a aspect of a couple of circles with the theme being the form it self:
we have shadow form in circle of darkness
we have lich form and a few others in circle of necromancy
Theres a section in circle of mind for psychometabolism type effects

I would probably just keep the number of them in any one circle on the light side since I think we might have a class dedicated to shapeshifting already. If that class goes in we probably would add most of them to its own circle similar to the circle of summoning.

Its fine by my standards to let circle of nature users or just druids have a few animal transformations. It might be a good idea to also put some elemental forms in to the individual circles for the elements.

DC, should we make a Circle of transformation for the Beast Master class?

DeathCow

Beast Masters's abilities are going to be entirely seperate from this.

Faceless thing

how bout something like this?

Circle of transformation

transformation to Wolf

transformation to Tiger

transformation to Bear

transformation to Bat

transformation to Bull

transformation to Viper

transformation to Monkey

transformation to Gorilla

transformation to Draco

transformation to Wyvern

transformation to Sea Serpent

transformation to Dragon

transformation to Spiders

transformation to Locust Swarm

transformation to Natures Choice

transformation to Nature?s Fury

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: DeathCow on May 30, 2006, 02:11 AM
Beast Masters's abilities are going to be entirely seperate from this.

Ok I figured it would be treated similar to the mystics but I wanted to make sure while we were on the topic of shapshifting.

The Crazy Animal

Just a thought:

I was looking at the circle power levels and I think we made a little snafu on how we describe it working as we left in both methods of rating the circle power levels. I would like to see if we can merge the two ideas so we can move on from there:

The current methods of rating Circle of magics power:
http://www.greatermud.com/wiki/index.php/Idea:Circles_of_Magic#Circle_Power_Levels

EDITED: June 1st

I know DC mentioned liking idea two so I'm going to go from there and cross connect it to the primary circle title idea:

Circle Power Levels:

Spell casters will be able to customize their PC class's magic style by distributing rating points into the available circles for their chosen class. Each of the Classes based on their Magic Rating will posses a differing starting number of points. Each PC will pick a primary circle and this circle will vary the titles received through the game by leveling.

? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Magic Rating:Total Points:Primary Circle:Other Circles:
Magic-3:900
Magic-2:600
Magic-1:300
Summoner:16310

1. Summoners have the Circle of Summoning automatically placed as their primary circle with 3 points from the starting point total.

Gaining magical power:

There also needs to be a way of gaining magical power over the course of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing extra circle points being purchased by spending CPs as this would both alleviate some of the CP build up that MMUD had problems with and help to balance the class dynamics over the course of the game. I could also see maybe having some special one use per PC quest items that could award extra circle points too. For example maybe eating a beholder's eye would award a point in circle of the mind and using a rune of water could award a point in the circle of water.

What a circles rating does:
While all ratings for a given circle need to be usable is there should be a clear system laid out that describes the bonuses causes to each circles spells at any given rating. The types of special enhancements given to each circle can range from extra mana, mana efficiency, or boosted spell damage. However in my opinion the type of bonus should be on theme with the individual circles but could vary from class to class.

Theme for each Circle of magic:
This is something that we have yet to really put into clear words but really needs to get done. We could use about a three line paragraph for each circle describing the general theme behind it.

Does anyone have any ideas on this on how to make this work better?
Does anyone have problems with some part of it?

rootc

Circle of Song??? or are the days of the Bard numbered?