[Other] Ideas for fixing the problem of Power leveling

Started by The Crazy Animal, May 26, 2006, 05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

Power leveling presents a large problem to a contents ability to remain new to the realm. While I?m not anti-scripting I was thinking perhaps it would be a good time to look at what could be done to slow the effectiveness of scripting without making so users can?t script.

One of the main things that a script does is kill the same types of creatures over and over again. It became apparent to me the other day that what we could do to systemically remedy the problem of power leveling by scripting is create a method of diminishing the exp value rewarded for successive kills on the same creature by using a dynamic data set per player.

What would be needed on the back end is a way of counting kills, and removing kills from this list over time.

The data table could be set up basically, like this

Monster number, Number of kills

The exp rewarded to a player would be adjusted by a formula based on the number of kills of that type of monster. If the exp value of a monster is 100 and the player has 100 kills we could then reduce that players current reward by a set amount. After enough kills the exp value of the monster would reach 0. In order to make the area viable again 1 kill per set amount of time would be removed from the players list. When a monster?s tallied kill number reaches zero it would then be removed from the dynamic list.

While this would slow the efficiency of scripting down quite a bit as a player would then need to have multiple script spots and change locations more frequently. This means the player will need to make multiple paths and loops as well as change them over the course of a single day which would cause the player to need to be at keys more often.

Secondly in order to power level efficiently a player must be able to kill lots of monsters as quickly as they can with out killing the regen of an area. Due to this factor it leaves us with another opportunity to diminish, a scripts efficiency further. The way to do this is to give each monster a set level. This level should represent the minimum level of the player needed to kill the monster. A second exp reducing formula could then be used to lower the reward by an amount dependant on the amount a players level exceeds the monsters level. So if a rat was defined as a level 1 creature and a level 10 player is killing it they might only get say 50% of the normal exp reward after any split with other players. No extra reward would be given to players with a lower level then the monster. By doing this players not taking the risks of killing monsters at their own level range would not gain as much exp per kill.

ghaleon

I know of a couple of ways.

Fix AC
Mix spellcasters and fighters in the areas
No InstaRegen Rooms
Make monsters a bit harder for their exp value
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

KalEl

I hate to rain on anyones parade, but, the main reason 90% of people play MMUD is so they can script.  I'm all for the death of scripting, but not the death of GreaterMUD because we tried to stop it.  Keeping PVP on will help with scripting.  And the new content updated regularly will keep more people at the keys exploring it.  I think we should allow scripting for the greater good.  And mutiple scripting spots you dont have to be at keys for you can make timed events for that. 

Kal

If Superman is bulletproof, why does he duck when a gun is thrown at him?

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: KalEl on May 26, 2006, 11:20 AM
I hate to rain on anyones parade, but, the main reason 90% of people play MMUD is so they can script.? I'm all for the death of scripting, but not the death of GreaterMUD because we tried to stop it.? Keeping PVP on will help with scripting.? And the new content updated regularly will keep more people at the keys exploring it.? I think we should allow scripting for the greater good.? And mutiple scripting spots you dont have to be at keys for you can make timed events for that.?

Time events will not help much because so long as your repeatedly killing the same creatures even if you visit different spots the efficency of the scripts exp/hr will be lowered on avg. At anyrate I think you missed the point see first paragraph as quoted, I said nothing about removing or disallowing scripting. This is purely about lowing the rate of levels generated by scripting in a given amount of time.

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on May 26, 2006, 05:01 AM
Power leveling presents a large problem to a contents ability to remain new to the realm. While I?m not anti-scripting I was thinking perhaps it would be a good time to look at what could be done to slow the effectiveness of scripting without making it so users can?t script.[/quote]

Valentine

One of the main things that a script does is kill the same types of creatures over and over again. It became apparent to me the other day that what we could do to systemically remedy the problem of power leveling by scripting is create a method of diminishing the exp value rewarded for successive kills on the same creature by using a dynamic data set per player.

This makes sense anyway. It stands to reason (oh no! not realism!!) that after a certain point you wouldn't obtain exp from killing the same creature, because you would be an expert at it. I know I don't feel that I obtain any personal growth after smashing a spider with a shoe, anymore.

"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

Vitoc

Quote from: Valentine on May 26, 2006, 12:14 PM

This makes sense anyway. It stands to reason (oh no! not realism!!) that after a certain point you wouldn't obtain exp from killing the same creature, because you would be an expert at it. I know I don't feel that I obtain any personal growth after smashing a spider with a shoe, anymore.
And what if it were a slightly larger spider?

Clock spider FTW

Valentine

Holy....

Yes, I suppose I would gain experience from throwing one of my nursing text books across the room in hopes of smashing it before it ate me.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Vitoc on May 26, 2006, 02:17 PM
Quote from: Valentine on May 26, 2006, 12:14 PM

And what if it were a slightly larger spider?

Well it depends if you mean by larger means it has a differeint monster number....

KalEl

Well it's just my opinion that if you even try to hinder scripting, alot of people that can't be live all the time will lose interest quick.? Thats the only "FEATURE" MMUD has over WoW, Everquest, and similar games.? In the end it really dont matter to me either way.? Like I said, I'm all for the end of scripting but discouraging scripting is gonna turn alot of people away.? Either that or someone will come up with a client with better timed events where you can do it more easily.  If some level 65 goes and kills all the main bosses a lvl 10 and his lvl 12 and 13 friends were gonna kill, then he lost alot of exp for the day... and I'm sure if the lvl 65 lost a few points of exp... he probably dont care. 

Kal

If Superman is bulletproof, why does he duck when a gun is thrown at him?

Jigga

I like this idea, and it would also prevent people from hogging scripting areas.

You know how it gets when someone is in one area forever and you'd like to move in. This way people have to change thier spots.

It also takes away from the 'routine' of creating a certain character. I.E. you make a hog warrior and script spot A levels 1-3, spot B levels 4-6, and so on and so forth, like many people do now.

This makes things a lot more interesting, and I think scripting more fun. I know I personally hate scripting the same area forever, but hey if it makes you the best exp then why not!

This would really switch things up, cuz two people could be making different exp in the same area. Things wouldnt be so repetetive and standard.
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

Thergin

I love scripting, I enjoy hand playing. I think a good solution would be to reward hand playing like you said with increased exp, boss exp increase was a usefull solution, but then people can make mega groups that just script between boss kills. With gigamud being more advanced its going to be harder to split between whos hand playing and who is scripting.