Dual Wielding

Started by ghaleon, Jun 21, 2006, 08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghaleon

How about bringing thief/gypsy/bards up to par and giving them the ability to dual wield?

Obviously you would have to make restrictions so you didnt see people wielding TOO big of weapons, but still dual wielding dagger users would be cool to see in majormud.
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

DeathCow

Dual wielding should be part of the combat abilities.  It'll be an ability you choose<part of a wide list> rather than one you automatically get.

I have every intention of balancing classes.

The Crazy Animal

I've been thinking about this too but I'm having trouble with creating a way for coding a weapon item so it can be equipped in two locations. I was thinking about using an ability that gets put onto an item but not sure if thats the best way to go.

DeathCow

Just an ability for the item thats wear location, and the value would tell it where you could wear it, besides the default one.

The Crazy Animal

K I'll try to work it in somewhere not sure where yet though.. I think it I would like to see it handled as an ability that must be on both the player and the weapon. Have an idea of how to make it work that way that should work well with the combat skills.

DeathCow

The forum is here for discussion, so you can always jsut post what you have..

The Crazy Animal

arg just lost the responce I was going to post..... grrrr

The Crazy Animal

Ok Lets try this again:

Lets say you pick up weapon skill X which has a the ability value 1 when you start it. When the skill is at value 1 you do not have dual weild. As you train the skill say to value 5 then you would get dual wield value 1 from that skill. As you train further you might get dual wield 2 or 3... If you get dual wield 1 in one skill and dual wield 1 from a second skill, you would use the cumalative effect of both skills and actually get dual wield 2 at the character level of abilities.

Now since a weapon would be already coded to check for the matching skill abilities on players this would make it so any weapon that you pick up that has both the matching or lesser skill/value and dual wield 1 abilities you could dual weild. Weapons could also then be restricted by their dual wield value to represent how hard a weapon is to dual weild.

PC Example:
PC Abilities:
Skill 1 Value 5 (contains Dual Wield 1)

Weapon example 1:
Dagger:
Weapons Abilities:
Dual Wield 1? ?(This makes the weapon work with the PC's Skill giving the character Dual wield)
Skill 1 value 1 (makes the weapon work with this skills abilities)

Weapon example 2:
Short Sword:
Weapons Abilities:
Dual Wield 2? ?(would not be able to be dual wielded because the ability value is greater then the players)
Skill 1 value 2 (makes the weapon work with this skills abilities)

Weapon example 3:
Sickle:
Weapons Abilities:
Dual Wield 1? ?(The value of Dual wield is correct)
Skill 2 value 2 (But the Skill is wrong so this weapon would not be able to be dual wielded by that PC)

Weapon example 4:
Rapier:
Weapons Abilities:
Dual Wield 1   (The value of Dual wield is correct)
Skill 1 value 6 (But the skill needed for this weapon is not high enough get the effect from the skill yet)

Mukami

So i went back to playing the original halo more often because i realized that the only thing that seperated the two was a "rebalance of weapons" (who needs anything other than the pistol?) that added the sword and dual weilding...

if you want there to be dual weilding then you have items like "paired dragon blades" or "holy wrath and righteous fury" or "twin shortswords" i really had no problem with dual weilding being limited to paired weapons like that.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Mukami on Jun 28, 2006, 11:55 PM
So i went back to playing the original halo more often because i realized that the only thing that seperated the two was a "rebalance of weapons" (who needs anything other than the pistol?) that added the sword and dual weilding...

if you want there to be dual weilding then you have items like "paired dragon blades" or "holy wrath and righteous fury" or "twin shortswords" i really had no problem with dual weilding being limited to paired weapons like that.

This can be handled so much better though with good messages and a backing ability using combat skills.

like:
Animal slices you with his sword for X damage!
Animal cuts you with his off-hand sword for X damage!
Animal lunges and strikes you with his sword for X damage!
Animal quickly thrusts hitting you with his off-hand sword for X damage!
Animal slices you with his sword for X damage!

You just don't see that with the paired and twin weapons in mmud.

Mukami

i hate to say this but....i agree with you. It could be better worded and probably should give more swings too. but honstly i dont even bother reading what the hack/slash/whap/whip/lick that the combat does i look at the end only.
You critically ...295

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Mukami on Jun 29, 2006, 02:20 AM
i hate to say this but....i agree with you. It could be better worded and probably should give more swings too. but honstly i dont even bother reading what the hack/slash/whap/whip/lick that the combat does i look at the end only.
You critically ...295

Grin my belief is that if you make combat apear more interesting then people will want to read it. Combat to players should be the equivalent to a peice of crack to a north philly hooker just can't stop wanting more. Players should lust after reading it and watching it just to see what type of effect happens next.

Not that it means you will have to watch it but you should want to while at keys.

Mukami

QuotePlayers should lust after reading it and watching it just to see what type of effect happens next.

Ok just say what you mean...you want there to be a strip club dont you? a way for female characters to make a bit extra money or for the men to gawk at.

The busty, chaotic neutral, elf that doesnt mind dwarfs, thrusts her hips in your direction!
You being to grow causing a noticeable bulge in your chainmil condom!
The busty, chaotic neutral, elf that doesnt mind dwarfs, casts mirror immage and circles around you!
You gain 3000000 exp.

The Crazy Animal

Grin well I'll leave stuff like that to the editing community :) Though I would like to see the barmaid get re-named to bar-wench.