Hardware Wish List

Started by Vitoc, Jun 30, 2006, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitoc

There are a few pieces of hardware that would really help us out.? I've spent $2000 over the past 6 weeks on 8 tires, 4 rotors, and 2 sets of brake pads so I'm tapped for the next few months.? If you have any of these items lying around and you're willing to donate them or if you want to donate cash to help purchase these items please let us know.

- 2 x 512 meg chips of DDR 400 RAM (I had to put the 1gb I borrowed back in my dev box so we're back down to 512 megs which isn't really adequate for running sql 2005, .net, xp, and a running GMUD realm (~130 megs when running)).
- 40gb+ newish IDE HD (for our GMUD server FreeBSD web server so we can host these forums on it along with Bugzilla, allowing us to run the realm AND forums at greatermud.com)
- UPS (maybe one with 2 outlets so we can put the FreeBSD and GMUD server on it, we've been having very brief power outages here over the past few weeks)

Please send me a private message if you think you might be able to help.? Thanks in advance!

Vitoc

If nothing else, we really need more RAM.? Seriously, database operations (backup, restore, modifying table structures, etc.) and even simple file operations (copying, moving, etc.) are taking forever because the box is resorting to virtual memory.

It doesn't have to be DDR 400 (although that would be nice and it's not really any more expensive), but it does have to be at least 1 GB worth (2 x 512 meg chips would be perfect).? Unfortunately, I won't be able to put any more of my personal $ into GreaterMUD until this pay cut ends (supposedly 6 months).

I promise I will compensate anyone that can come through right now at some point in the future or if they prefer I will return the RAM to them when I can afford to buy some myself.

Rondor

Is memory still on the wish list Vitoc?  Or anything else?

-R

The Crazy Animal

You should send him a pm and ask him.

Vitoc

Quote from: Rondor on Oct 23, 2006, 09:22 PM
Is memory still on the wish list Vitoc?? Or anything else?
Yes, 2 x 512 meg chips of DDR 400 RAM is still #1 on our list.

We received a HD from Hagrid so that's off the list and I haven't had any problems with the power shutting off for several months so I think the UPS can be taken off the list.  The only other thing I can think of is an Athlon 64 3200ish socket 939 processor since I have a much nicer mobo than our GMUD server's just lying around collecting dust.  We're currently running a Sempron 2800 on the crappier socket type (754 I think?).  This mobo/cpu combo are handling GMUD just fine (with the exception of memory) but if someone were to donate a spare one they had lying around we could definitely put it to use.

scratacorn