shops

Started by Reece, Jan 07, 2006, 01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reece

Just a randomn thought as i was climbing the stairs. How about sub lists in shops so you can add more items rather having to make a new shop in a new room. Like list, list2, list3 ect..

Momma always said there were gonna be days like this.... she just never said there would be so many in a row.

Squidward

...eh?

Why not just include all the items in one list?
Is there a limit to how much can be stocked?

DeathCow

Well, the majormud database only has space for 20 items for each shop.  Although I can't see any reason to limit the shop size, I also don't know if we're gonna need such a beast.  The realm is gonna be quite huge<ie have lots of space for gear to go>.  Although, if it comes down to it..I have no issue with making the list bigger, I suppose list2/3 would work too...Its kinda something we'll have to look at if its something we decide we need later.

Reece

Quote from: Squidward on Jan 07, 2006, 01:45 AM
...eh?

Why not just include all the items in one list?
Is there a limit to how much can be stocked?
YES! One extremely long list where you have to backscroll and read for 5 minutes to see how much your item is and if its in stock. Good one. That would be fun.

Momma always said there were gonna be days like this.... she just never said there would be so many in a row.

DeathCow

I hadn't quite planned to make the lists be that long.  Although I suppose that if we're gonna make an item quality thing, then we're gonna need to make plans for them in the NPC commerce.

The Crazy Animal

How about buying and selling quanities of items.

Sell 15 fine broadswords

Buy 10 torches

This is something I always thought was really needed in MMud.

TCA

DeathCow

Quantities is easy to program..I'm  sure that I can slap vitoc enough to make it happen.

I should let he's knees heal a little first..................but...

The Crazy Animal

Have you thought any about having supply and demand for shops or do you see that as to easily to abuse?

TCA

DeathCow

I haven't thought about that.  And likely it would be overly abusable.  I still gotta make it so shops cant be abused.  Haven't thought about any shop enhancements.

The Crazy Animal

I'm not sure exactly how much you want economics to play a part in the game but sometimes it beneficial to have some systems slightly abusable. If you think about games like tradewars the trading of commodities and establishment of trade routes were just one way of making capital. All thought there were many more things to constantly spend the cash on too. Perhaps shops could be given a budget that they couldn?t buy over to keep it from being too abused.

Some other things shops could do:
Perhaps shops could offer things like stocking quests where you could make money by picking up packages of items from distant towns. Maybe delivering packages and supplies to outposts or Tracking down shoplifters and returning stolen goods.

Perhaps renting safety deposit boxes at banks. This could give thieves a nice challenge at something to steal.

TCA

DeathCow

We've been working on creating a more complex economic system than majormud has.  Before we come up with new ways to make money, we'll need plenty of new ways to spend it.

Ian

I like the idea of having more in a shop, and perhaps using sublists, but not list1 list2.

Instead, you could do something like this:

[HP=264/264 - MA=48/128]:list
The following items are for sale here:

Item? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Quantity? ? Price
------------------------------------------------------
Helmets                                    sub-list
Gauntlets                                 sub-list
Boots                                     sub-list

[HP=264/264 - MA=48/128]:list helmets
The following helmets are for sale here:

Item? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Quantity? ? Price
------------------------------------------------------
chain coif? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 30? ? ? ? ? 10 gold crowns (You can't use)
pot-helm? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 25? ? ? ? ? 16 gold crowns (You can't use)
horned helmet? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?6? ? ? ? ? ?50 gold crowns (You can't use)
visored greathelm? ? ? ? ? ? ?2? ? ? ? ? 130 gold crowns (You can't use)
wolf helm? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?3? ? ? ? ?1400 gold crowns (You can't use)

Dunno if that would be easy to implement, but I like the neatness of the idea, and the grouping.  You only list what it is you're after, instead of having to read a large list to compare belts or something.  Also cut down on shops having to have 3 rooms (eg Armor shop in Silvermere)
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!