General Gang ideas

Started by The Crazy Animal, Jul 07, 2006, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Spooky on Jan 12, 2007, 11:46 PM
Maybe even offer an incentive to run together as a gang.. when 2 gang memebres kill together they get a % more exp from a monster than usual.. it doesnt have to be huge.. but the more characters from your gang that are in on a kill you get a higher % of exp from a monster... and maybe it doesnt have to be an exp or nothing reward.. maybe there could be a total amount of gang generated kills . If 4 gang memebrs get a kill on one monster the gang gets an X amount of Gang Kills or something fancy like that. Maybe that is part decider for who is actually Top gang. Total gang kills calculated with total exp for gang ranking.

Exp should never exceed the total amount of the creatures value. However I do agree there needs to be thing done to get gangs to do things together. Maybe gang quests would be the way to go with this rather then using exp. The gang quests could then also be opened or locked from being accessible to a gang based on the number of members they have which would cause them to be more competitive in getting members.

kalus

Something I posted a year ago on the topic of gangs... wow a whole year. I really like this idea though.

http://greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=92.msg496#msg496

DeathCow

Yeah we started playing around with this back last jan.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: kalus on Jan 22, 2007, 07:02 PM
Something I posted a year ago on the topic of gangs... wow a whole year. I really like this idea though.

http://greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=92.msg496#msg496

Grin ya I remember the post. Though I wonder why we never patched it together on the wiki...

Colt

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jan 13, 2007, 12:45 PM
However I do agree there needs to be thing done to get gangs to do things together. Maybe gang quests would be the way to go with this rather then using exp. The gang quests could then also be opened or locked from being accessible to a gang based on the number of members they have which would cause them to be more competitive in getting members.
That is something that I brought up to Metro some time back. It did not get much responce from them.
It was something that Sweetkins had asked me to suggest. She likes to do things with the whole gang.   Her Idea was to make it so that a gang had to have some characters from almost all the classes and each class had to get a different item then the Mage would put them in the Cauldren and poof you would get something for your work.. A nice staff for the Mage or a better weapon for the Warrior. It would require a spell receipie book
Mistic ToeThumper
Colt ToeThumper
galaxybbs.dynalias.com

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Colt on Jan 24, 2007, 10:13 AM
That is something that I brought up to Metro some time back. It did not get much responce from them.
It was something that Sweetkins had asked me to suggest. She likes to do things with the whole gang.? ?Her Idea was to make it so that a gang had to have some characters from almost all the classes and each class had to get a different item then the Mage would put them in the Cauldren and poof you would get something for your work.. A nice staff for the Mage or a better weapon for the Warrior. It would require a spell receipie book

I like that idea though I would probably suggest in changing it to make it work via the magery groups rather then individual magical classes with a test on spell casting. This would make it so that say a high level ranger might substitue for a mid level druid in a pinch.

I also think it would go along way in making some of the underplayed classes, races and even odd combos more fun to play if we did special quests that require them to complete a particular portion of it.

manihooni

i like the idea of the alignment variable
i used to play tradewars.. you would get minus exp for having an evil in your corporation.

i also like the idea of the gang member working together for a quest be rewarded. an item or say "prestige" 'street credit'
meaning = this gang "means Business"  O0

having more than one gang house and a gang bank account is nice. the different "levels of members i like. say...newbie member can only withdraw a certain small amount of cash from account like  one plat? how much do ya really need at level one for gear?. could be configurable by leader? how about something like a tax or union dues/membership into gang fee. 1 gold per day!  ::)

how many members or "prestige" your gang has earned effects whether or not you can build a gang house in a new area. also, if gang is say evil or predominately so. you would have to Bribe/intimidate town leadership for the space if in middle of town itself. just like a modern street gang.

but some gang houses are in middle of forest on mmud soooo.....umm... how big or how defend able it was would require more cash. if all you want is a resting place under a tree {or up it} it would be cheap...something like tree house or shelter would have minimum safety from outside attack by monsters or NPC's for a short time? maybe it would require you to buy say canvas or nails and some wood planks. wouldn't defend against big monsters  or those that use their noses......but if you were say a sneak/hider ya can rest double ticks or 1.5 ticks in safe haven. for up to i don't know so many rounds? if monster in same room chance of being caught goes up? but if your'e up a tree and quiet you can rest without hide or sneak command. depends on how good your camouflaging of the hide away is...... in major mud if you are hiding you are not resting..... :'(

the more you can spend, the better the hideaway or say fort or then house or keep( terminology)? as your gang improves their lots in life.

i always figured the "resting" room in gang house was bogus. theoretically you rest faster or hp's regen faster in this room. if you've made it into your gang house you are already safe from the monsters.

although some RPG's have a camp command..
then next screen was "...you awaken rested and refreshed ..yadda your magic/hit points are regenerated"... don't think that would workhere but ,maybe if a gang or party of characters  was out and about in wilderness, the "camp" command would give faster hp's ticks temporarily? at least until a monster regens in room or wanders in? it would help for dragging along little guys on boss hunts. kinda like a minor version of rapid healing? it would give a chance for say non-magical healing with herbs and bandages for those stubborn witchies who shrug off your efforts to magically heal them. damn their resistance.. i was only trying to help! :-X

Jigga

Gang emblems need to be upgraded.  Or give them a "use" spell.

Right now they are decent, but its much better to wear one of the "heads".

This way people WANT to be in your gang, especially if you have the better emblems.

And have the heads be for people who werent fortunate enough to get in a good gang or get a ganghouse.

And maybe have the houses maybe geared toward classes.  Have one's emblem be a big spellcaster emblem, another a combat, another for defense, etc...
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

Trios

Maybe even offer an incentive to run together as a gang.. when 2 gang memebres kill together they get a % more exp from a monster than usual.. it doesnt have to be huge.. but the more characters from your gang that are in on a kill you get a higher % of exp from a monster... and maybe it doesnt have to be an exp or nothing reward.. maybe there could be a total amount of gang generated kills . If 4 gang memebrs get a kill on one monster the gang gets an X amount of Gang Kills or something fancy like that. Maybe that is part decider for who is actually Top gang. Total gang kills calculated with total exp for gang ranking.

No no no no no no.

And no.

schwagg

Quote from: UtopiaBBS on Apr 08, 2009, 03:45 AM
Gang emblems need to be upgraded.  Or give them a "use" spell.

Right now they are decent, but its much better to wear one of the "heads".

This way people WANT to be in your gang, especially if you have the better emblems.

And have the heads be for people who werent fortunate enough to get in a good gang or get a ganghouse.

And maybe have the houses maybe geared toward classes.  Have one's emblem be a big spellcaster emblem, another a combat, another for defense, etc...

I'm going to take this opportunity to highlight some of the sad realities of the worn item slot in legit MMUD content.

The best emblem you can get right now is 2/0 ac, 2 max damage, 5 accuracy.

A witchunter gets Medal of Flame for turning in an Irikani head. Medal of flame is 1/0 ac and 10 magrez. This is obviously a bit retarded, as killing Irikani is a lot harder than buying something from a shop, and the reward should reflect the risk.

As for the other available worn slot items, here they are: Irikani, Woodelf Lord (debatable), Goru's head,  and Enigma lord's head (one class only), I'd say the best emblems are way too good as is. Something you can buy in a shop shouldn't be the last thing you ever wear in a slot, and depending on my race and class, I'd be taking 2/0, 2 max damage and 5 accuracy over either of the *two* good heads there are.

With these things being said, I don't think that jacking the stats up on all the emblems is a very good idea. Right now there is barely even a selection for the worn slot, and the best houses' emblems are right at the top. Raising them further would just be completely imbalanced.

Exodus

when 2 gang memebres kill together they get a % more exp from a monster than usual.. it doesnt have to be huge.. but the more characters from your gang that are in on a kill you get a higher % of exp from a monster... and maybe it doesnt have to be an exp or nothing reward.. maybe there could be a total amount of gang generated kills . If 4 gang memebrs get a kill on one monster the gang gets an X amount of Gang Kills or something fancy like that. Maybe that is part decider for who is actually Top gang. Total gang kills calculated with total exp for gang ranking.

I like this idea a lot, but instead of exp, maybe the party would get a certain bonus for cooperation and being "familiar" with one anothers combat style the way a group of thugs might cooperate. Perhaps for each gang member in your party, you each get +2 accuracy or something. See what I mean?

I also really like the idea of gang quests and gang bank accounts. The "next in line" idea is ESSENTIAL, but it a particular character is not specified, the rule should simply follow the hierarchy of ranked Lieutenants.

Fuxsiloh

I encountered this problem and I guess I just want to see if other people see it as a problem.

While raiding a ganghouse, one of the members of the gang dropped in and due to level restrictions, no one could attack. I see this is an issue because if your ganghouse is being raided, you should be able to defend it. So I guess my proposition is this, while in an ganghouse level restrictions and EPs shouldn't apply - it should be treated in a similar way to the arena (Except of course if you die, you do lose a life, drop items etc)

Also (and this is more of an idea), it might be useful to be able to hire a more expanded list of 'guards' for the ganghouse. At the moment you have your guardians, but it could be expanded to maybe greater guardians etc and ultimately, each house can hire the services of a respective dragon. The dragon would require to be paid some ridiculous amount a day for maintenance (in addition to the initial retainer fee) and each house would have their own unique dragons (Gold house; Gold Dragon, Silver House; Silver Dragon and so forth). I just think this would add a really interesting element to ganghouse raids. The way people just drop stuff in vaults, it only seems appropriate to have a big mofo dragon sitting on top.  ;D

Well, let us know what you think.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Fuxsiloh on Oct 13, 2009, 09:47 AM
each house can hire the services of a respective dragon. The dragon would require to be paid some ridiculous amount a day for maintenance (in addition to the initial retainer fee) and each house would have their own unique dragons (Gold house; Gold Dragon, Silver House; Silver Dragon and so forth).

Giggle: buy 30 sheep > feed dragon > Eww time to change the dragon box... > DC its your turn..

Rhinehold

some great ideas that I think merit some serious consideration.

-DR

DeathCow

Personally I hate the ganghouses.  They are poorly executed at best.  I'm in for all kinds of changes for them.

I think the guardians are stupid, I can see a few smaller monsters running about but I'd think 1 big smart monster guarding the house as a more intelligent choice.