Classes, specifically mystic

Started by Hagrid, Jul 21, 2006, 03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagrid

i hope mystic isnt going to be in the game!

is it just me or is the idea of a character jumpkicking a 80 foot dragon just a bit odd?   ::)

Shawn
Hagrid

Is this not the face of truth and innocence?

The Crazy Animal

Well some of it has to be caulked up to fantasy in this case mostly the dragon.

I mean you wouldn't think that a person was able to break through a stack of concrete blocks with out a tool either but i've seen that with my own eyes. http://www.karatebreaking.com/gallery.html

Hagrid

Yeah, thats true.  I guess mystic is a VERY far stretch of fantasy. 

Could the guy breaking the blocks, break magical runed concrete blocks? :)  :o

Shawn
Hagrid

The Crazy Animal

It depends on the type of fantasy

Hagrid

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jul 21, 2006, 06:59 PM
It depends on the type of fantasy
I understand. hehe
Just some people said they like to picture their characters in their mind and then there are the races/classes in the books of fantasy.

Shawn
Hagrid

Mukami

Quoteis it just me or is the idea of a character jumpkicking a 80 foot dragon just a bit odd?? ?

The whole single person fighting a dragon takes a huge leap of faith. look at midnight glare as an example. its a magic 4 throwing knife that could be used to kill major dragons. maybe we could work some way where they dont start with mag 5 (which is abused alot on boss kills for power leveling) but perhaps for every 8 levels they get hit magic +1.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Mukami on Jul 27, 2006, 11:03 PM
The whole single person fighting a dragon takes a huge leap of faith.

That is a fairly consistant theme in myths, folktales and fantasy though.

look at midnight glare as an example. its a magic 4 throwing knife that could be used to kill major dragons. maybe we could work some way where they dont start with mag 5 (which is abused alot on boss kills for power leveling) but perhaps for every 8 levels they get hit magic +1.

I didn't quite get this part do you mean you would like the weapon to level?

Ian

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jul 28, 2006, 03:53 AM
look at midnight glare as an example. its a magic 4 throwing knife that could be used to kill major dragons. maybe we could work some way where they dont start with mag 5 (which is abused alot on boss kills for power leveling) but perhaps for every 8 levels they get hit magic +1.

I didn't quite get this part do you mean you would like the weapon to level?

I think he means that mystics should gain hitmagic as they level, instead of starting with hitmagic +5 (so they'd have to be lvl 40 to hit magic 5 monsters).  That stuff about midnight glare has me thrown though.  It's lvl 40 restricted anyway.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Ian on Jul 28, 2006, 06:10 AMI think he means that mystics should gain hitmagic as they level, instead of starting with hitmagic +5 (so they'd have to be lvl 40 to hit magic 5 monsters). That stuff about midnight glare has me thrown though. It's lvl 40 restricted anyway.

Thats what through me I wasn't sure what exactly he was refering to.

I think with mystics the problem really comes from their limited attacks if we gave them new attacks at set levels similar to the way they get powers then each attack could have a limited amount of hitmagic or even magic attributed to it. Then the base attacks of pu, ki, ju could then be limited to say hitmagic +1.

Mukami

I was talking specificly about mystics when i said they should get hit mag +1 for ever 10ish levels. As is we have people running down to be apart of killing dwarven mines bosses at level 10 and getting overly powerleveled.

The part about midnight glare wasnt saying that it should grow also. i included that because i think someone jumpkicking a dragon to be just as unlikely as a throwing knife being used to kill one.

QuoteThe whole single person fighting a dragon takes a huge leap of faith.

QuoteThat is a fairly consistant theme in myths, folktales and fantasy though.

and the concept of a monk/mystic is another fairly consistant theme also.

And honestly the whole concept of a weapon being level restricted makes no sense. why can my warrior use a regular warhammer with no problem but then he cant even wield a jewel-encrusted warhammer?

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Mukami on Jul 29, 2006, 07:31 PM
I was talking specificly about mystics when i said they should get hit mag +1 for ever 10ish levels. As is we have people running down to be apart of killing dwarven mines bosses at level 10 and getting overly powerleveled.

Nod got that part, this is a possibility but needs to be configurable enough that it can be altered with ease.

QuoteThe part about midnight glare wasnt saying that it should grow also. i included that because i think someone jumpkicking a dragon to be just as unlikely as a throwing knife being used to kill one.

Most items shouldn't grow unless they are otherwise acted upon by a character in the game. This is because they are meant to be static objects and being such shouldn't change by themselves. However items should be able to be powered up this is something we've brought up a few times in here but never really discussed at any real length. (note - if you really want to talk about this it would be better to open up a topic for it.) The one type of item that I could see merit in them growing would be some types of loyal items more specifically those noted to be some how soul bound to a character and thusly would inherit some type of dynamic attribute based on the characters own growth.

QuoteAnd honestly the whole concept of a weapon being level restricted makes no sense. why can my warrior use a regular warhammer with no problem but then he cant even wield a jewel-encrusted warhammer?

This is a very old part of mmud it went in pre-mod 1 and pre-ninja if I remember correctly right about the time the decision was made to expand on the game. I remember being quite unhappy that day when I logged in after an update and could no longer use my glowing broadsword.

From a players perspective it makes no sense what so ever it never has and with the exception of some very rare cases I don't think it ever really will. However from the perspective of a designer it makes a great amount of sense and this is purely because there is a need to achieve some semblance of balance in the game geared specifically to a only a few aspects of play. These aspects are a player should at no time gain too much advantage by use of items over their intended level environment (PVE) and no item should give a player too much advantage over other players (PVP). Otherwise the balance is skewed which results in the challenge of play and or fairness of play being diminished. Take a look at item# 478 tree trunk if this item was useable at level one even with the penalties for lack of the required STR it would be able to kill every intended opponent in that PVE and PVP range in one hit.

This method of item restriction also exposes quite a few flaws in the game engine design:
1: If an item requires more then a reasonable portion of a players STR it should not be able to be lifted as a weapon.
2: The penalty for having STR below the requirement of an item is too low. It should have been set as a percentage system that is proportionate to the amount of damage possible by the item.
3: This is one of the bigger flaws. Without a viable way of rating the required skill necessary to wield a weapon properly the simplistic route was taken which diminishes the available items to a player at any given level. Inversely there is also no way other then the QnD bonus to really show that a player is over proficient with an item which also diminishes the amount of viable available items to a player at higher levels. This then creates an update methodology that is detrimental to the release time of updates as it requires that every time a new harder area is added new more powerful items must be added too work with it.
4:  The game engine was never originally intended for a limited level range so there a great number of work arounds that were created in order to not have to recode massive portions of the game engine. Such as: steadily decreasing the speed of a weapon in order to compensate for its increased power and to impart on a character the appearance of continued character growth even after it would have normally hit its peek performance.

DeathCow

While we ar having visions...how about a little halfing witchunter completely naked except a backpack with 900,000 copper pieces swinging a giant tree trunk killing dragons.

Spire

To play this game, i think you're gonna need to suspend the whole "it doesn't make sense that..." line of thought. Its a game about dragons and magic... The fact that dragons don't exist at all tends to cause problems for the whole plausibility argument... certain attributes of reality are going to have to be suspended to make a game whose entire purpose is to be nothing like reality...

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Spire on Aug 01, 2006, 06:15 PM
To play this game, i think you're gonna need to suspend the whole "it doesn't make sense that..." line of thought. Its a game about dragons and magic... The fact that dragons don't exist at all tends to cause problems for the whole plausibility argument... certain attributes of reality are going to have to be suspended to make a game whose entire purpose is to be nothing like reality...

The problem though is not plausibility but if the portion of reality that is suspended is explainable or not within the context of the game. If its not then it doesn't make sense...