Customizable room descriptions

Started by Ian, Sep 27, 2006, 06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Dunno if DC is planning on making any rooms customizable, but since it's in mmud it basically has to be available for gmud.

My thought was, it might be handy if gang members (probably dependant on TCA's ranking idea) could edit the room descriptions online (rather than sending the sysop a text file).  Something like:
White House Entrance
Obvious exits: north, closed door south
[HP=200]: edit room
You will exit after a period of silent meditation................                           
Your character has been saved. If you have any comments or suggestions, please
leave them in E-mail to Sysop. Thanks.

Room editor (enter your room description here):
White House Entrance
etc etc

^S Save  ^X Exit without saving

Similar to Worldgroups text entry system.  Anyway, might be cool, allow for much more dynamic labelling of gh rooms.
Some examples

• This is Ian's DP, don't touch!
  • Looks like junk, but if you burn it I'll roll you
  • Weapons mag-3 or higher

etc.  Could be useful, cos the current system is clunky.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

DeathCow

The way mmud handles it is really frackin stupid

The Crazy Animal

I really want to be able to do it in game or atleast remotely. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Origionaly I was thinking XML data directly from the room database. The description field would contain both a default room description and a custom edited one. The editor would then fill in description information between known xml tags and the game engine would then switch to using the custom description when present. However the editor themselves wouldn't beable to change the default descriptions with out access to the local machine. The same thing then could be done with signs, weapons, or anyother in game object....

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Sep 27, 2006, 08:30 PM
I really want to be able to do it in game or atleast remotely. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Origionaly I was thinking XML data directly from the room database. The description field would contain both a default room description and a custom edited one. The editor would then fill in description information between known xml tags and the game engine would then switch to using the custom description when present. However the editor themselves wouldn't beable to change the default descriptions with out access to the local machine. The same thing then could be done with signs, weapons, or anyother in game object....
In game would be awkward.? You'd have to create a command for basically every property.? For example:
edit room_roomname "Room Name"
edit room_roomdesc "This is a new room description."
edit room_roomexits (this would be hell)

If we want to go down this road I think it'd be better to use a web interface or just stick with traditional winform based editors.? Either way, it will be very difficult to have those changes propogated into a realm that is currently running without restarting the realm.

Ian

Quote from: Vitoc on Sep 28, 2006, 02:48 PM
In game would be awkward.  You'd have to create a command for basically every property.  For example:
edit room_roomname "Room Name"
edit room_roomdesc "This is a new room description."
edit room_roomexits (this would be hell)

If we want to go down this road I think it'd be better to use a web interface or just stick with traditional winform based editors.  Either way, it will be very difficult to have those changes propogated into a realm that is currently running without restarting the realm.

I agree dynamic room exits would be a pain in the ass.  I was just talking about descriptions, such as is currently used for gang houses, emblems, banners, statues, etc.

Currently for rooms the text file goes:
First Line Room Name
All subsequent lines constitute the room description
etc etc etc

That would be simple enough.

In fact, now that I think back to TCA's buildable gang mansions, wouldn't you simply type "build room west", and if that space is available room exits would automatically connect.  Screw them, no customizable exits :)  You could also have "build vault west", or "build exit/entrance west".

But that's a discussion for another place and time :)
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

The Crazy Animal

By ingame I mean like from inside the game not live in game. like command edit room > exits realm > enters editor function> save or cancel > exits editor > enters realm. Simple yet do able from inside the telnet limitations.

With the building commands you would build the rooms first then remove any extra doors you didn't want. Simplest way I could think to do it and allow it to still be customizable to a point.

ghaleon

Just use the OLC system from DikuMUD's
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

The Crazy Animal

Most of the other big muds have the ability to edit with out having to restart. Truthfully it should be something we at least should look into.