We rdy to put this project up on sourceforge yet Vitoc?? O0

ghaleon

Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

DeathCow

Grin..its a great smiley.

The Crazy Animal

I know I personaly wouldn't want to see it go opensource as once its opened up like that theres no telling what people will do with it. However I wouldn't mind seeing a dev kit for simple plug-in code addons built so there could be some open development done for it by the community while the core engine remains on a constant path. I think it would be the better of the two options.

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Oct 05, 2006, 04:22 PM
I know I personaly wouldn't want to see it go opensource as once its opened up like that theres no telling what people will do with it. However I wouldn't mind seeing a dev kit for simple plug-in code addons built so there could be some open development done for it by the community while the core engine remains on a constant path. I think it would be the better of the two options.
This sounds like a reasonable approach.  The GreaterMUD coding juices are starting to flow once again.  Hang in there just another week or so as I get settled in at my new position.  Meanwhile I'm trying to get in touch with Soul to see what he's been up to.  AFAIK, I thnk he did a pretty good job on TextBlocks and I hope he's not burned out already.

ghaleon

Well one good thing about open source is there is never anyone in particular to come after 'legally'. Thats just one of many reasons.

But yea .. having all the content, abilities, etc be in add-on forms and just having the shell downloadable would be cool. They cant go after you if all you are creating is the shell. Technically its just another diku type of mud base.
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Mystic

Quote from: Vitoc on Oct 02, 2006, 11:51 AM

Open source is the only way to go with this. More projects die in a bed of promises because the source was closed from the beginning... Why not let someone else carry the torch when you ultimately lose interest? The only thing that could motivate you to not open the source is money and that's just not going to happen with this project.  O0

DeathCow

soul

Quote from: Vitoc on Oct 05, 2006, 04:47 PM
This sounds like a reasonable approach.  The GreaterMUD coding juices are starting to flow once again.  Hang in there just another week or so as I get settled in at my new position.  Meanwhile I'm trying to get in touch with Soul to see what he's been up to.  AFAIK, I thnk he did a pretty good job on TextBlocks and I hope he's not burned out already.

I was rewriting spells, and then we got to come home from the hospital. I have 2 new babies and getting settled in has proven to be a chore. I have 2 months off from work though, and once we finished getting settled here, I will complete t spells. By doing the spell rewrite I can start having rooms cast spells for things such as "You hear the sound of children off to the east" or something like that.  Also this will open up more spells that users can cast.

Silentz

Congratulations on the addition to your family. It is also good to hear things are coming along nicely.