Latest News

Started by Vitoc, Oct 26, 2006, 10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitoc

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long delay between updates.  I've been working on a new version of TGS (Telnet Game Server) to give the finite state machine system a go.  If it cures our deadlocking issues (ie. all events freezing including combat) then it will have been worth it.  I'm also trying to make it a bit more robust to allow things like restarting and controlling the server remotely via telnet to be done more easily.  Most of the GMUD code should be directly usable with the new TGS, although we'll probably be able to remove several "lock" statements from the GMUD code if the FSM works.  Not sure what the performance will be like with a FSM vs. OS controlled multithreading but we'll soon find out. 

On a side note, Soul (our other programmer) is still around so he'll probably be able to help get things rolled out smoothly.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

DeathCow

ty for the update. noob

DeathCow

The Crazy Animal

Good to hear. Btw - I heard FSMs are pretty good performance wise. There's a lot of work that has been done with them for AI too so I'm glad to hear you've got some experience with them as it might be the best route to go for our AI needs.

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Oct 26, 2006, 08:41 PM
ty for the update. noob
pwned by the alternating colors

DeathCow

soul

Quote from: Vitoc on Oct 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long delay between updates.? I've been working on a new version of TGS (Telnet Game Server) to give the finite state machine system a go.? If it cures our deadlocking issues (ie. all events freezing including combat) then it will have been worth it.? I'm also trying to make it a bit more robust to allow things like restarting and controlling the server remotely via telnet to be done more easily.? Most of the GMUD code should be directly usable with the new TGS, although we'll probably be able to remove several "lock" statements from the GMUD code if the FSM works.? Not sure what the performance will be like with a FSM vs. OS controlled multithreading but we'll soon find out.?

On a side note, Soul (our other programmer) is still around so he'll probably be able to help get things rolled out smoothly.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

A quick update from myself.  I got another good section of the spells rewritten, and got gmud back into a compilable state.  Right now more of life is creeping in.  The plan with 2 new babies is that I would watch them from 10pm-2am and feed them, and then I got to sleep in. Since my wife was asleep for those 4 hours, that would give me time to work on the game.  Unfortunately the babies aren't on their 4 hour eating schedules yet, so that really gives me 2 hours each night. By the time I am done I just want a little time to visit the restroom, and maybe a playboy magazine since my love life isnt that great with 2 babies as you can imagine :)

Anyway, the plan is to get them moved over to 4 hours. If I can do that, then I am golden and i'll have enough time to work on it. Either way, I return to work after thanksgiving, and i definetely will have enough time to work on it then.