New Telnet Server - Question

Started by Vitoc, Dec 04, 2006, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitoc

How many people would care if we stopped the old GMUD realm and used that telnet port to test the new telnet server (which will have GMUD running in it shortly anyway)?

I'll admit I haven't spent much time in that realm, and when I do go in, there's usually only like 4-6 people in there.? Would it piss anyone off if I just shut it down and we started doing initial testing on this new telnet server?? I could have it running tonight.  GMUD should be up and running on it within a week or two, barring any major disasters.

The new telnet server currently only consists of the login system (including new user setup), a main menu, and a ridiculously simple Teleconference.? But I would like to start having people connect/disconnect, create new users, and entering/exiting/chatting with Teleconference so we can put the FSM through it's first paces and see if there's any major issues.

Also, think we should we start with a clean user base or import over the users from the old system?? The downside to starting over with users is people would lose their GMUD characters since the TGS ID's won't map with the GMUD ID's anymore, but maybe that's not such a bad thing anyway.

The Crazy Animal

It wouldn't bother me other then missing it if you did it. I can't speak for any one else though. One suggestion though would be to put a notice up on the login page because I don't think everyone comes by the forum each time they try to log in to the game server.

As far as the user accounts I would keep the old ones. I don't see us gaining anything in making people remake their accounts. If we need to reset the characters later that's an option but I don't think its needed yet. I would say something more usefull would be to give users a delete account option when your logged in and have it confirm against their password before the delete. Then we can use a smaller pool of account names for testing account creation. It would also give us an addtional way of putting some load on the server untill the realm is put back in.

Vitoc

Ok, it ain't pretty, but it's up.

I reused the users from the last server.  Starting the port of GMUD now...

soul

Quote from: Vitoc on Dec 04, 2006, 10:04 PM

I reused the users from the last server.? Starting the port of GMUD now...

Let me know when you are done, I really need to just do a clean enlistment and start from there. Once you are finished with the port, i'll jump back in!

Soul

soul

Quote from: Vitoc on Dec 04, 2006, 10:04 PM

I reused the users from the last server.? Starting the port of GMUD now...

new user creation doesn't seem to be working
Please enter your username or "new": new
Please enter the username you would like to use: Soul2
Sorry, that username is already taken.
Please enter your next choice: Soul3
Please enter the password you would like to use: ********
Please confirm your new password: ********

also when I tried to logon is Soul and hit G for greatermud (dang megamud), it froze, but it seemed to recover, so good job :)

The Crazy Animal

It just freezes for me at login after I put in a user name. It does this for both new and existing names. Never gets to the password prompt.

Vitoc

Soul broke it.  :D

When you do a select or return scope_identity() in SQL server after an insert into a table with an identity column (like Users for example), it actually returns a decimal.  :-\

Who woulda thunk?  Anyway, that's fixed.

The Crazy Animal

I'm still having problems with just logging in:

Connect:

* "these are returns trying to get it to do something"

It does the same thing when I try to login with a existing account.

Edit:
Ok figured out that if I hit backspace after I enter my user name it will give me the password prompt??? It also seems to get stuck like that after the password is entered.

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Dec 05, 2006, 01:09 PM
I'm still having problems with just logging in:

Connect:

* "these are returns trying to get it to do something"

It does the same thing when I try to login with a existing account.

Edit:
Ok figured out that if I hit backspace after I enter my user name it will give me the password prompt??? It also seems to get stuck like that after the password is entered.

Hmm... what telnet program are you using? Megamud?

The Crazy Animal

Nope a real telnet program...

SecureCRT version 5.1.3 build 281

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Dec 05, 2006, 01:35 PM
Nope a real telnet program...

SecureCRT version 5.1.3 build 281
Ugh... my work doesn't let me telnet.  Probably has to do with that program sending an extra character after the cr and/or lf (I think some programs might add a null).  I accounted for it in the old server, so I'll get that fixed tonight.

The Crazy Animal

k sounds good to me.

http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/

You should just add a second listen port on the telnet server so you can get around the block at work.

The Crazy Animal

Note - there is no disconnect message given when a user just hangs up when in the teleconference module.

The Crazy Animal

I put some load on it by typing real quick and I think I broke it :)

It doesn't seem to be responding anymore..

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Dec 05, 2006, 06:15 PM
Note - there is no disconnect message given when a user just hangs up when in the teleconference module.
Fixed this.

I think I might've fixed that other issue too (it's working from FreeBSD's telnet), but not 100% sure on that. ?