Ready to put this project up on Sourceforge yet?

Started by ghaleon, Feb 05, 2007, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghaleon

Just curious. Doesn't appear as though there has been much advancement in the last 6 months. Open it to the public so we all can help make this thing successful.
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

kalus

Vitoc

Quote from: kalus on Feb 06, 2007, 04:39 PM
Any sort of ETA on a playable version?
There's a playable version of the old engine that's been up and running at vitoc.com for several weeks now with no deadlocking issues (yet).  As for the new version, there's only a teleconference and menuing system running on port 2323, but progress is being made.  I found the bug that was causing people to get ghosted last weekend.  I'm currently working on gracefully handling unexpected disconnects in the FSM environment.  After finding a model that works and implementing it I need to work on the menu and stat creation screens for GMUD since those will be completely different in a FSM environment.  Once that is done the large majority of the GMUD code should port right over.  Timed events will need a bit of work in the FSM as well, but I don't foresee any major issues, and Soul is standing by to help out with any GMUD coding once the telnet server is completed.

It's hard to give hard dates, but if I can find time this month I'm hoping to get a completed FSM version of the telnet server and GMUD ready for testing by March 1st.  Unfortunately, this probably won't include any new content.  Hopefully DC can comment on the status of new content.

DeathCow

At any point that there is a forseeable date for the engine I can glue the realm together enough to have only it running.

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Feb 08, 2007, 03:06 PM
At any point that there is a forseeable date for the engine I can glue the realm together enough to have only it running.
Mr. DeathCow, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

DeathCow

Quote from: Vitoc on Feb 08, 2007, 07:45 PM
Mr. DeathCow, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Huh?

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Feb 09, 2007, 02:34 PM
Huh?
Billy Madison dood!

Your statement made no sense.  Go on, reread it!  ;)

DeathCow

Quote from: Vitoc on Feb 09, 2007, 05:25 PM
Billy Madison dood!

Your statement made no sense. Go on, reread it! ;)

Yeah, I've re-read it several times.  It still makes sense. 

I can be ready, when you are ready.  I'm like 1 good night of editting for having everything glued together.  I'll have to not goto the bar or play gunbound that night, but I can do it.

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Feb 11, 2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I've re-read it several times.? It still makes sense.?

I can be ready, when you are ready.? I'm like 1 good night of editting for having everything glued together.? I'll have to not goto the bar or play gunbound that night, but I can do it.
I'm fixin' (yeah I said fixin') to have something running by tonight.  I expect multiple bugs for the first week so I think we can just stick with our current content until we get any major kinks worked out.  So maybe try to have something ready by next Sunday night?

ghaleon

Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

ghaleon

BTW I will be opening my php project up to the public for all to enjoy this weekend.

Feel free to use it on this project. It will work if your data is either btrieve or SQL. It can also be used to eventually (once more work is done) export all the data from the majormud dat files and add them to a MySQL database.

Enjoy!
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Vitoc

Quote from: ghaleon on Feb 13, 2007, 12:23 PM
Kinda strayed from the topic no?
Yes.? But your question had already been addressed in a previous thread with the title "Want GreaterMUD to be Open Source?"

Quote from: ghaleon on Feb 13, 2007, 12:26 PM
BTW I will be opening my php project up to the public for all to enjoy this weekend.

Feel free to use it on this project. It will work if your data is either btrieve or SQL. It can also be used to eventually (once more work is done) export all the data from the majormud dat files and add them to a MySQL database.

Enjoy!
I've already got nmr that retrieves data from the mmud dats and stores them in an access file from which my custom converter grabs the data and stores it in the native GMUD sql database format.? For those without the mmud dats, most of that data is also freely available through the access file that accompanies mme (in fact that's how GMUD got it's start back when it was KeyserMUD, using that .mdb file).? No offense, but I just don't see how your app will be very useful to many people.? Furthermore, I don't believe an app like that is complex enough to require the effort of several coders.? However, I wish you luck and hope your app becomes useful to a large audience.?

Now, getting back on topic, no I'm not ready to put it on SourceForge.  We've got a working engine, albeit one that needs end user testing, and a huge amount of original content that will be up shortly.

ghaleon

QuoteFurthermore, I don't believe an app like that is complex enough to require the effort of several coders.
You have several coders so the project isnt laying stagnant for several months at a time.
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

The Crazy Animal

You can have 1000 coders and still nothing might be done. The number of coders doesn't matter all that does matter is motivation and available time.