TGS and GreaterMUD

Started by Vitoc, Feb 16, 2007, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitoc

Ok, so we now know we can make GreaterMUD function exactly like Major MUD; it's no longer an "if it can be done" question.? The question is now, how much work *should* be put in to making it exactly like Major MUD.? There's some awesome ideas I'd love to start tackling, but most of my time is being spent trying to make it behave just like Major MUD.

I did find some time yesterday to start a new project however.? The idea is to use TGS (the new FSM telnet server) exactly as it is now, and build a "construct" as I like to call it (yes I borrowed it from the Matrix ;) ).? Essentially this will be a template that contains only the most basic functionality found in any style of text-based telnet game.? For example, right now the concept of a player is simply a name tied to a TGSUserID.? The concept of a room is merely a container where players can be that contains a list of any exits that lead to other rooms (but the word "room" doesn't do it justice, since it could also be used as a sector in a game like TradeWars).?

This "construct" will be the starting point for any other type of text game we want to create, including various flavors of GreaterMUD.? The idea here is to allow people to easily create their own text-based games to run on TGS, without having to go through the trouble of creating a full-blown telnet server.? It's amazing how quickly a good game can be created in C# or VB.NET when you get to focus on the actual game functionality rather than all the system events that make the game work.? Think of TGS as a completely stripped down WorldGroup that's designed specifically for online text gaming.? The entire server is less than 500k large at the moment and currently consists of a single file (unless you want to use a flat file db rather than a SQL server instance).

I'm trying to gauge interest at this point, so if you're a C#/VB.NET developer interested in using this telnet server and "construct", please let me know.? If people are interested, I'll try to get some basic examples of what can be done with this system, including source, up for download in the coming weeks.

The Crazy Animal

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Thesifer on Feb 16, 2007, 08:39 PM
While you're at it, put in "GOD" Powers like other muds so we can create content on the Fly. :D

Grin we've been talking about how to handle the edits but I don't think we've come to a firm decision yet. Were still pondering over what type of interface would be best though as we seem to be in agreence over wanting it to have some type of GUI interface rather then just telnet like the god powers use.

interchange

I would most definitely be interested in it.