Quest Tracking

Started by DeathCow, Mar 02, 2007, 01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathCow

I'm welcoming other suggestions if there are any.

The Crazy Animal

I'd go for auto if anything since it would require the least amount of space of the two...

DeathCow

But auto requires the most work from me. 

Journel, Day 1.

I was about to start working.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: DeathCow on Mar 02, 2007, 04:46 PM
But auto requires the most work from me. 

Journel, Day 1.

I was about to start working.

it shouldn't require any more extra work on your part other then a command telling a textblock to append to journal:

Journal, day 1.

Asked (NPC) about (subject: textblock 33)
NPC replied Display textblock 33

The filter does the real work and just pulls the appropriate text info...

Rhinehold

Consider that unless all quests are tagged with a name/title this will be harder.  This maybe a non issues as Gigamud could more easily incorporate a tracking program based on responses from MUD, and flagging a change in the GigaMUD's quest interface.

Vitoc

In GreaterMUD, we could easily implement something special in the engine to be triggered by Textblocks (like a QuestProgress textblock command).  Obviously this wouldn't work in MajorMUD, and at some point we're going to have to discuss moving away from MajorMUD completely, but we'll save that discussion for another time and thread.

On a related note, Gardner's utility does kind of what you guys are talking about as well, but obviously that is client-side and it would need to manually be updated any time changes or new quests were introduced.

Rhinehold

I was just about to say that.  Gardner's utility will work just fine.  Plus Gigamud can incorporate it as well.  I think that a "quest log" isn't necessary, so much as what is already in place.  "step 1 find messenger - complete"  or "step 2 kill red dragon - not complete".

-DR

DeathCow

If there is really some demand for it, I could probably ghetto rig something together quite easily.

Gardner Denver

I'm almost to the point where I can build a new viewer client.  The controls and screens are probably 98% finished.  The code for the controls is about 95% complete.

You'll only be able to view full information on accounts you know both the user ID and password to for now.  Eventually we'll put in a profile password that you can give to friends to let them monitor your account.

Here is, basically, what the new client will look like.  You won't see everyone in the realm like you do in this example, only profiles you enter the proper information for.  But you can get an idea of what the basic client will look like.

No, you will NOT be able to get limited item information with this program. ;)

Client Main Screen

Player Abilities

Quest Status

Trainers

Tracking Multiple Players

Rhinehold

Very cool GD.  I look forward to using that myself! ;-)

-DR