Gangs

Started by kalus, Jan 19, 2006, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalus

Place more emphasis on teamwork.?

Few ideas on how this could be achieved.?

Instead of having gang houses, have a gang area.? Create items that are scatterd throughout the realm that you must return to a shrine located in your gang area.? When your gang members are in party they get a bonus depending on the amount of items they currently have in their shrines.? Item x gives each party member +2 max damage etc...

Other gangs can rob the items out of your shrines to return to their own shrines.?

This would work by for example having 5 shrines in your area.? Each shrine is behind a locked door that requires a number of keys to open it.? The lower level items might contain 3 keys to get in and rob the item.

Each time a member of a gang dies, they drop a key.? Collect 3 keys and you can go ahead and rob the item from the shrine.

This would also encourage and reward pvp.? If you want to get the item out of their shrine and into yours, you must kill players to get the required amount of keys.? Really powerful items would require a large number of keys to unlock the gate/shrine whatever.

What do u think?

DeathCow

I like the idea of items that reward gang members in a party.

The Crazy Animal

I was working on an idea like this but it was for more personal use then gangs:

It started to look like this:

Deity Tributes ? I know you mentioned having a deity system if you include a tracking system to decide how happy that deity is with a "player" (in this case gang) it would be possible to have tributes to them. What this would allow is, the "players" (in this case members) to spend ?effort? on tributes for the deities. Then some sort of reward system could be set up were the tracker is reset each level and if you meet your deities quota for tributes then you get some type of reward.

I think at the most basic level you could just have the gang leader pick the deity that represents the gang when it is formed. However, if you were to change it around a little you could have it incorporated into the gang structure so that the rewards are given to players holding the gang emblem.

Gang Level:
A gang level could represented on a cumulative exp scale and basic rewards could be given for that as well. Like a shop might be a level 3 gang reward, a secondary hide with anouther shrine out might be a level 6 gang reward.

Gang House Guards:
The guard types could be decided by each individual deity and how happy that deity is with the. However, there are a lot of things that could be done with this.? ?

Shrine Tributes:
If the tribute quests were items that were left in the shrine room of a gang house then rival gangs could steal these things to force another gang to loose a portion of the tribute rewards. I would make it so that the tribute items have some reward for being used by a single player too. Some of them should be limited item like a golden belt but when in the shrine room could give a +max dmg to all gang members that have an emblem. But over all tribute items should be something that people want and are willing to raid a gang house for.

TCA

DeathCow

I agree thesifer...but um diety system?  I mentioned that?

The Crazy Animal

I think you mentioned it in ummm a post a few years ago on ummm forumshq (MBB). Maybe I was wrong but I thought I remember seeing it, oh well at anyrate it doesn't matter.

Edit: HMM I went looking for the post and can't seem to find it so I must have imagined it oh well.

TCA

DeathCow

There is a bbs out there somewhere that has some kinda diety system..I don't recall how theirs works.  I knwo I want to have gods involved in...well something...but I don't think I have a system yet.

The Crazy Animal

A lot of the other mud systems have deity systems in them but most of them but they aren?t very realm interactive or involved other than I choose this deity and it will give this reward. I personally think any deity system should be highly interactive with the players and should have some dynamic aspects.

Deity Tributes or shrine would just be one way of implementing them in a group sense but I think it should really go down to the player level too.

Deity happiness - could be expressed by a variable divided by the players level so that each level the player has to work harder to satisfy the worship demands of the deity. Similarly, you could do this for gangs if their cumulative exp was made to reflect a gangs level perhaps a gangs exp rate could be reflected by the deity. While this might make them seem a little, more like cults for game purposes I don?t think that really matters though.

Tribute Value ? could be worked out to be that of an items magic level and quality. The higher those two fields are the better tribute it would be. This also makes the better tribute items of the sort that are more valuable to players and for use as some else?s tribute items and would spawn the conflict described by Kalus.

TCA

Bong

That other board was Operation Mindcrime. They really did a lot of extra stuff you didn't see elsewhere on that board. But, it was pretty basic. You choose a god. You either gained or lost EP's when you did so, depending on the alignment of that god. You got a symbol (worn), necklace, and I believe bracelet representing which god you followed, and the bonuses were varied dependent on the theme of your religion. There were also 2 spells available (one was magic-3, other magic-1 I think) for each religion, and again these were unique to that god. Alignments had to stay within the dfinied paramaters, else your eq would be removed. Not sure if there was much more to it then this, other than there was a lvl limit...not low end, but MAX lvl limit, so you had to make the choice earlier in your chars. career.

Only thing I ever used it for was getting my tank-race sneaker a +roomillu spell, so I didn't have to carry lanterns around.

DeathCow

Still sounds cool. even if its very basic.

Ice_Hole

What is gang dieties were determined by the alignment of each character in the gang.  If a gang had all good aligned people, you would gain 10 prev.  If some were not, you would gain only a little prev.  If the people in the gang were evil, you might gain 3 or 4 max damage.  If it is a mixture of good and evil, you may gain 1 or 2 max damage and 5 prev.

You also could set it up where the gang leader can select their diety.  This diety is based on alignment, as well as being selected.  TO keep this diety happy, you may pay extra gang house rent (Eliminateing the NEED for the BEST gang house in the relm), and even the gang houses bonus's up a little.  You could also complete quests given by the diety.  It can be based on lvl, or just some random task.  At higher lvls, it would be something similar to 4th or 5th quest, which will take your entire gang working together to complete.  (Ya, 4th is fairly simple, but it can be challenging at lvl 40).  Once these quests are completed, it could add some other bless to the emblem.  This would also be variable on how many members of the gang have completed this quest.  This would also be the reason to join a larger gang, you are more able to complete the Litch kill, etc.

You could also debuff the emblem based on the number of active players currently in the gang.  Say you have a gang of 20, but only 5 play.  This gang would then be handicapped, based on their active/inactive ratio.  This would make it so that the gnag no longer gets the bonus's from a long inactive player, and also keeps players from createing massive gangs, just to get the buff's from whatever the gang has allready completed.

Implimentation of this system would be tough.  And would have to be well thaught out.  A gang of 1 person should not be able to get that many decient buffs, but rather a gang of a few would get the most.  You want to keep relms from haveing one gang.  If only one gang exists because of these blesses, it kind of negates the purpose.

- Ice_Hole

DeathCow

Oo thats kinda neat..would sorta work with the theme...with a little work...its a totally new concept, so adding it will be its own thing..but hurm.

Ice_Hole

The idea that was originally posted was a good one.  Just needed implimentation ideas :)

I tried to think of way's to impliment variable stats to gangs.  Create reasons for gangs to actually work together, etc.  What if their was a way to make one of these quests be a PVP quest?  For instance, kill a member of the gang with the highest exp (If evil), if you are good, it may be to power lvl somone lower than yourself either in your gang or out of it.

Some way to create interaction, and an actual reason to play, not just let mega have at it, and get you some exp.

- Ice_Hole

The Crazy Animal

Personally, I think deities should have their own alignment, and that it shouldn?t impede a player from choosing that particular deity. ?I mean look at Bush God never seems to tell him not to worship because he?s the Devil?s Meat Puppet.? However, I do think the type of alignment that a deity has should color the types of quests that are required to make it happy. I also think that each of the deity quests should have some coloring imposed on it from the player?s alignment too. So that a good aligned player can take part in an evil deity?s quest, however the quest would use the player in the state he?s in.

For example poisoning a well within a templar stronghold would be easier to do when given to a good aligned player then an evil one. While the deed it self might be evil I think the deity would pick the path of least resistance to complete its goals.

I was thinking about what Ice_Hole said in addition to the ideas I previously posted and came up with this:

If you make gangs, get level based rewards as I?d suggest you could factor in the number of players in the gang as a portion of the gangs exp table. Maybe something to the effect of :
Base rate = Sum of each members Level * exp to start a gang (maybe some other number I could see this being a huge number in a small amount of time)
(Number of members * Base rate) * Current gang level = gang exp rate.

This would penalize gangs for having non-playing members to a small degree based on the number of members and their levels.

Some examples of Gang house rewards for gang level:
Extra rooms, Vaults, Regional Hideouts, Shops, Private Arena or Practice rooms, basic supply room for members (kind of like a general store with reduced prices).

Deity happiness ? I?ve been thinking about this a lot I came to the conclusion that the deeds needed to keep a deity happy should in some portion be repeatable so that fresh low level members could take part in them. This is what would need to be tracked for this to work:

Absolute Max Happiness:
Total deeds * Number of members = Total Max Happiness
Member deed Total:
Total number of deed points at a players current level = Mdeeds
Member deeds Current:
Total number of deed point a player has accumulated = Cdeeds
Max Happiness:
Total Mdeeds of the gang
Current Happiness:
Total Cdeeds of the gang
Deity Happiness Score:
(Max Happiness/ Current Happiness) = Deity Happiness Score

Rewards should be based on the percentage represented as the ?Deity Happiness Score.? You could then have the reward data table set to reference a number based on 0 to 100 to decide what the reward would be and this would be a lot simpler to base rewards on then just a total deeds amount.

Secondly, you could have scripted based spells check the deity happiness in order to function or have an effect on how well a spell functions.

For example an AC spell might remove a players AC if the deity is dissatisfied or increase a players AC if it is Satisfied. You could do the same thing with heal spells and other spell effects however any spell like this I would suggest to be cast on self only since if it wasn?t it would have a buggy effects if used when in its negative phase in pvp or combat?

Similarly because this tallies the total deeds of all members and value of deeds completed this would also have a slight penalizing effect if there were non-participating members. This dead weight effect might be a great way of making use of things like shrine tributes and offerings since the participating members would want to remove non-participating members from the gang or pick up for their slack to get the better rewards but I?m not exactly sure how to work this into the Deity Happiness Score.

Just a general gang related idea:

Gang emblems: There should be normal emblems and lieutenant emblems, and the lieutenant emblems would let the users that have them have extra functions like open vaults, and change shop inventory. I was thinking that the MMUD gangs were kind of missing this. Secondly, it might be good to have the emblem function as the key.

TCA

Valentine

Quote from: DeathCow on Jan 19, 2006, 08:51 PM
I like the idea of items that reward gang members in a party.

I know this has transgressed into a deity thread, but going back to this...is there an exp bonus for dealing the final blow?
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

The Crazy Animal

well its still roughly about gangs and the possible interplay with deities.

Currently the exp just gets split between all attacking parties evenly.

TCA