Racial Exclusive Classes

Started by The Crazy Animal, Jan 22, 2006, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

I was just thinking about this the other day while looking for some ideas about prestige classes. I thought popped out as hey what about having a few classes in the character creation stage that are only available to particular races. I think this could show some of the classic D&D style cultural differences between the races. If not then maybe some of these could just find their way into the prestige system.

For example:
Dark-Elf wardancer makes sense but a dwarf wardancer doesn?t seem to make much sense at least to me.

I tried to think up a brief list for other races so here are some further examples:

Halfling ? Luckstealer
Dwarf Runesmith
Half-Orc berserker
Dark-Elf wardancer
Elven Bladesinger
Gnome Illusionist
Half-Ogre Juggernaut
Human Dragon Slayer - Does anyone actually still play humans?
Goblin Trickster
Half-Elf ??? ? not sure on this one
Nekojin Demon slayer

Demon slayer:
priest2 style magic with emphases on combat blessing, anti-living spells for use on undead, and never-lived spirit type entities, exchanges less healing spells for more combat type spells.

Illusionist:
Mage style magic with emphases on summon illusionary creature type spells
Charm + Intelligence Spell casting base

Juggernaut:
A Witchunter type class with heavier armour.

Dragon Slayer:
A Warrior type class with elemental resistance and special weapons/armour availability

Trickster:
A Gypsy like class with more emphases on hexing and blessings.
Charm + Intelligence Spell casting base

Runesmith:
Cleric style armor with mage similar spells emphases on using spells for buffing their low combat skills.

Luckstealer:
Bard similar in its stat manipulation this class focuses on stat exchanges and similar hex/bless exchange type modifiers. Example strength exchange = target gets -10 str and caster gets +10 str.
Charm + Intelligence Spell casting base? ?

Bladesinger & wardancer
These are very similar classes but I would make them kind of two sides of a coin by making bladesingers use more defensive magic and wardancers use more offensive magic.

Berserker:
For the berserker I was thinking of some type of animalism type of magic focusing on the strength and cunning of beasts but focusing on armed combat perhaps something similar to some of the mystic powers like way of the cat, way of the tiger, and way of the boar boost combat stats?

TCA

DeathCow

I'd be willing to do this with advanced 'prestige' classes..but not basic classes.

The Crazy Animal

Sounds good to me, I just thought it might be a neat idea that would give some unique classes to the individual races. I pulled most of the ideas actually from an article on prestige classing but well you know how I am by now always wanting to push things a little further... hehe

I was actually getting kind of curious about how you wanted to do the prestige classes but I figured I'd wait a little while since the game isn't even into beta yet.

TCA

DeathCow

Right the prestige classes will basically be upgrades to your class.  In general you'll do a quest and that will change something you have access too.  For the most part the upgrade will be minor, but you're characters description will change.  I was thinking that priestige classes could modify your racial stat maximums, access to certain items, and things of that nature.  Obviously mages that became an elemental mage of some sort would have access to more powerful spells of a certain type..And when you looked at them it say like   Paul is a blah blah blah goblin ice-mage with blah blah...

Some prestige classes would change the way your race was displayed  so you could have a demonic warrior or demonic paladin...

The quests for priestige classes will be extremely difficult and simply be there for the prestige.  The easy of the quest is based on which priestige class you wanna become.

Every class/alignment combination will have a basic priestige class that they can become.  An evil gypsy for example <since i've posted the quest tree for them in the development forum> can become a vampyre at level 60.  Now after you're a vampyre I may allow you to specialize your priestige class into certain things..like maybe Vampyre Prince, or Vampyre Arch-Mage..or something like that but that will be dependant on you choosing to become a vampyre.  There will also be priestige classes associated with the Epic quest sotry arcs, which will have slightly better stats, or maybe just different stats..but I haven't decided on that.

The Crazy Animal

Ok I get what you?re saying I had thought about doing something like this but I had wanted to do it more gradually so it wasn?t something that was really hard to do but more like something that naturally happened to the character over the course of the game.

How are you thinking about having the prestige and specialization data set up?

Just for a point of game engine implication since you want this to be a very versatile editable platform; you could think about putting the following fields into the class data sets.

Display in base class selection menu: 0 = false, 1 = true
Requires Race: states that this class is only visible in menu if {x} race is chosen

What this could enable people to do is have racial exclusive classes if they want them for future use and secondly it would let you hide classes from the main class selection menu which would let you implement and easy way of giving prestige. Basic command for the script would be changeclass: {class number}

Secondly, you could do the same thing for races where you have a true false condition for the races to be displayed. So similarly for the racial changes you could trigger them with a simple script command changerace: {race number}

Some times I wish I could just read the development forum so I?d have more of an idea what is going on and where to go with some ideas.

TCA